UK Passport renewal from BKK Embassy

Hi people,

few questions, keep it short and simple as possible.

1) How long before my passport expires do I have to renew it..6mo..1 year. My passport expires October next year but my year long extension take me

past the renewal date. I would like to renew asap..at the soonest possible point.

2) read on this forum, an interview required..is this true? or wind up? simply you have to apply in person.

3) Do I need some sort of proof of address in Thailand. I may have something, or I may have nothing! what is accepted? , separating from the mrs only

official documents I have are either in Thai (from the kiddo's school) or in Spanish from their social security same address..Oh and Immigration, well her house

just not trusting of a passport to be delivered there!

4) can I not pick the new passport from the embassy? instead of being sent to a Thai address?

5) Does my passport need to be countersigned? UK national? EU national accepted? is it a must...being a miserable old bastard out the hilly billy land don't know any UK nationals or any EU national english speakers! Help..any suggestions if I do need a counter signature?

Thank you kindly, in advance.

You do not apply at or pick up from the British Embassy.

Everything you need to know should be here:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Thanks Lite beer,

I see I apply at application centre trendy towers and collect from there also. Did I read that right?

Went over the link, all subsequent links also. Can anyone confirm they had to send their full passport as ID document?

Or do we just have to show the old (about to expire) passport that is getting renewed to staff at trendy?

Just questioning..being abroad and sending off your passport..sounds iffy!

FYI, renewable at anytime, only a max of 9 months of the time remaining will be added to the new passport.

hank you kindly in advance.

Derek

Edit: On the off chance any of you guys know of anywhere I can get Documents Translated from Spanish to English by a legal official translator?

Edited by Derek M

You need to look at the required documents list on the last page you get to after going through all the steps to get there on the webpage a link was posted for.

You have to submit color copies of every page of your old passport with the application. You keep your passport after the application is completed.

Did my renewal application 2 weeks ago.

You keep your passport and send colour photocopies of every page (including blank ones). But take the passport with you. They want to check it.

No counter signatures required.

I have nothing with my name and address in thailand, so phoned the help line and asked if I could use the blue house book as proof of my address. Slight delay while he checked, "yes you can use it".

The interview isn't really an interview. They're just checking you match the pictures and go through the paperwork to make sure everything is in order.

Everything was in order, apart from having no translation of the house book. Translation service on the ground floor cost 500 baht. Took about 20 minutes.

Back upstairs, 'interviewer' was happy, gave me a receipt and job done.

The most surprising part was the phone call and email yesterday.

"Your passport's ready".

2 weeks!!

Second phone call to the helpline was about domestic travel in Thailand with my 'expired' passport.

Although the passport website states the passport is only good for ID purposes after you apply for renewal, lady I spoke to said no problems with domestic travel and there is a 90 day window from date of application for international travel. I didn't go into details re international travel and didn't take a name.

Please don't take my word about the 90 day window, check and get a name, or email confirmation. Thought the info may be useful to people juggling renewal and travelling.

Second phone call to the helpline was about domestic travel in Thailand with my 'expired' passport.

Although the passport website states the passport is only good for ID purposes after you apply for renewal, lady I spoke to said no problems with domestic travel and there is a 90 day window from date of application for international travel. I didn't go into details re international travel and didn't take a name.

Please don't take my word about the 90 day window, check and get a name, or email confirmation. Thought the info may be useful to people juggling renewal and travelling.

domestic is definitely not problem, I haven't used my PP in years just my Thai DL for internal flights, they are only really interested to see the name on the ticket and the one on the ID match, one suspects you could get on a flight with a library card if it had your photo on it and looked "official"

Didn't realise that a Thai driving license was sufficient for domestic flights

Thanks for the info.

Domestic flights, checking into hotels, and even being able to drive legally ...laugh.png

Honestly cant remember the last time I even used my PP for ID purposes domestically in Thailand, have always used my DL

Thanks for the info.

Domestic flights, checking into hotels, and even being able to drive legally ...laugh.png

Honestly cant remember the last time I even used my PP for ID purposes domestically in Thailand, have always used my DL

+1 - and Thai DL gets you into tourist attractions, national parks etc at the 'Thai price' - never fails

Thanks for the info.

+1 - and Thai DL gets you into tourist attractions, national parks etc at the 'Thai price' - never fails

not going to fully agree with "never fails" as over the years come across a couple of places that wouldn't accept a Thai DL, but would accept my work permit

• 1 month later...

Do they accept a thai bank debit card for payment of the passport and courier fee?

Here is an old answer. Personally, I would use a UK card.

I have used my UK cards for a number of friends' applications and they have given me Baht.

#7 icon_share.png theoldgit

Titanium Member

• av-72629.jpg?_r=0
  • Global Moderators
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 2014-04-18 09:03:30

When I renewed my British Passport last year, my Kasikorn debit card didn't work but my Kasikorn virtual card went through OK.

My Thai D.L. failed for me yesterday, at the entrance to Doi Inthanon National Park ! So I paid B300, like my visiting tourist passenger, rather than B50 for "Local". wink.png