300 kgs of dog meat seized in Sakhon Nakhon

webfact

300 kgs of dog meat seized in Sakhon Nakhon

SAKHON NAKHON: -- Two men were arrested by highway police in Sakhon Nakhon province Wednesday morning with about 300 kilogrammes of dog meat believed to be sold in Tha Rae district.

The two suspects were identified as Sanan Srimart, 42, and Trairong Soemmek, 27.

Highway police stopped their pick-up truck as it was heading for Tambon Tha Rae in Sakhon Nakhon’s Muang district which is notorious of being a market of dog meat. A search of the truck found ten bags of dog carcasses each weighs five kilogrammes and another 50 bags of dog meat weighing altogether 300 kgs.

The two suspects claimed that they bought 50 dog carcasses at 200 baht each and the dog meat at 50 baht per kg from a seller in Dong Luang district to be sold in Tambon Tha Rae.

Police said that dog merchants had moved out of Tambon Tha Rae to slaughter dogs elsewhere before bringing dog meat back to Tambon Tha Rae for sale to residents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/300-kgs-of-dog-meat-seized-in-sakhon-nakhon

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-01

As a dog owner who cares for his dog 100%, I have no problem with Thais, Laos, Khmers, Viets or farangs eating dog meat, providing the dogs have been slaughtered humanely and obtained legally.

My next door neighbour has a small pack of what I call "rat dogs',who roam at will, hump anything resembling a dog and then produce more unwanted rat dogs. When the numbers get over 10, they become quite a nuisance, as other TVF members might attest.They do serve on useful purpose as alarm dogs when anyone walks along our soi.

Round the hounds up, kill and skin them and cook till done and eat their meat. After all, Thais eat insects, so why not dogs. There are just too many unwanted, unloved dogs in this country. Temples are a great place to dump them, say a few prayers and off they go.

What's the problem? Meat is meat.

Right. And sometimes it's somebody's pet. A truck was stopped near Buriram a year or two ago containing live dogs. A politician from Bangkok came up and actually found his dog. The truck was on its way to Cambodia although dogs do get eaten here.

The Chinese refer to dog as 'fragrant meat' and 1.3 billion Chinese can't all be wrong. Pigs are much smarter creatures but few have a problem using them as a protein source. I think they should license abattoirs to humanely process dog meat for sale to those who enjoy. I can't see how this infringes on anyone's right to enslave a dog, by getting them to imprint on you when they are young, as a pet; even though I find the practice of 'owning' animals as 'pets' odd.

I wonder what the "dog merchants" will be charged with since they neither killed nor butchered the animals.

Edited by rametindallas

As long as Thailand allows hundreds of thousands of feral dogs to roam free everywhere and uncontrollable,

some of them carrying diseases and what not, some system should be in place to cull those numbers,

Not all dogs are wanted, there is no such thing as a public pound where one can go and adopt a dog, and at the same time there is a huge demand for dog meat especially from the Lao and Vietnamese. So why not legalize the trade and the government can then make some money out of it regulating it by licencing dog traders, and at the same time removing unwanted soi dogs off the streets. Otherwise these poor animals are subject to disease and car accidents, rely on donations of food, and die slow and painful deaths.

This is just barbaric and disgusting! bah.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

Not really, no.

chickens, ducks, cows, sheep, dogs, no real difference.

YES there is a big difference. Dogs are and have been for thousands of years a companion to man. But you ignore that fact.

Not really, no.

YES there is a big difference. Dogs are and have been for thousands of years a companion to man. But you ignore that fact.

Good luck placing your companion seeking hand on a 'Soi Dog'.

Not really, no.

Dogs as work animals have been used since forever but as pets, this is a fairly recent development and first among the very wealthy. Most folks didn't have the wherewithal to support an animal that didn't work for its keep. "Man's Best Friend" was developed by the pet food Industry to make people guilty to buy commercial pet food instead of feeding it scraps. Dogs are 'pack' animals and, in nature, would never bond with a single human. It is only by taking the pups away and having them 'imprint' on a human that they become dependent/subservient to that human. Pets = unnaturally enslaved animals that humans force into adapting to human ways. Just because humans are anthropomorphizing dogs doesn't mean they are what you think they are.

The Chinese refer to dog as 'fragrant meat' and 1.3 billion Chinese can't all be wrong. Pigs are much smarter creatures but few have a problem using them as a protein source. I think they should license abattoirs to humanely process dog meat for sale to those who enjoy. I can't see how this infringes on anyone's right to enslave a dog, by getting them to imprint on you when they are young, as a pet; even though I find the practice of 'owning' animals as 'pets' odd.

I wonder what the "dog merchants" will be charged with since they neither killed nor butchered the animals.

Not all Chinese eat dog, in fact many Chinese protested at Yulin recently.

Certainly your figure of 1.3 billion is incorrect. Of the remainder, who says they can't be wrong? You???

What's the problem? Meat is meat.

It is all to do with your up bringing. The French eat horse, try to get the British to do that. Dogs and monkey brains I baulk at. A lot of people would not eat snake.

I've eaten kangaroo, camel, emu, buffalo, frogs, snails, rat, snake, sheep's balls and crocodile and none of them too horrible, in fact mostly quite tasty. You can also throw in a few other protein sources but I'd swap them all for a good leg of lamb or a roast beef.

Edited by Saan

Not really, no.

I agree with you, well that's how I used to think until I worked in Vietnam for a year or two and due to my ignorance of the language I often ate in restaurants in rural towns ordering food recommended by my Vietnamese helpers. Believe or not I didn't ask anyone what the meat I was consuming never for once thinking it might be canine, but eventually I found out. I have to say it has a superb taste, especially stir fried and so I never refused the opportunity to eat it. By the way I enjoyed eating Cobra too on occasions especially during group celebrations. I truly believed snake to be fish until I questioned the fish bones resembled ribs. They were of course, they were snakes ribs, small slightly curved bones. The longer I stayed there the more I uncovered the food that most Europeans would never have consumed in their own countries, local culture and habits not permitting or even considered revolting.

So after living in 8 Asian countries over the last 40 years I never question Asian peoples tastes as they should never question Western culinary tastes. Finally have you noticed why Thais rarely eat lamb? Some have told me lamb smells too pungent for them How about the Thai preference for insects? I saw on Australia + the other evening the increasing demand for insects as a culinary delight for local beetles, grasshoppers etc.

Edited by PlastikbinLina

Not all Chinese eat dog, in fact many Chinese protested at Yulin recently.

Certainly your figure of 1.3 billion is incorrect. Of the remainder, who says they can't be wrong? You???

My comment was a 'take-off' on the 1927 song, 'Fifty Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-IP0DE2kTI

Since there are more than 1.3 billion Chinese in the world http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population/ and Chinese are widely known to eat dog and even have a dog-eating festival http://time.com/2891222/china-dog-eating-festival/ I paraphrased the title of the song to make a point.

The point is: since a number of cultures eat dog as a matter of course and think no more of it than Americans would eating chicken, why would/should I put my values on another culture? Don't Americans already have a bad reputation for doing that? Since I eat other animals, how can I, morally, say that those who eat dog are wrong? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat Maybe if I were vegetarian I could point fingers but probably not since there are many evils worse than eating dog.

According to the OP, eating dog is apparently popular in Thailand's Sakhon Nakhon Province. I'm not Thai so it is not my business to judge those people for their tradition. I am not stopping you from condemning the behavior but was expressing my opinion that it is OK with me and my preference for licensed abattoirs to humanely process the animals. They are legal to eat in 44 of the 50 US States and all but one State in Australia.

Frankly, I don't understand the point of your post except, maybe, you want to demonstrate that you are in a moral huff. huff : to say (something) in a way that shows you are annoyed or angry

Edited by rametindallas

Not really, no.

Different strokes for different folks - yeah, sounds cheesy.

I'm a dog lover too, but like another poster said, if done humanely and if it feeds hungry ppl then why not. It's totally a cultural thing.

Pets = unnaturally enslaved animals that humans force into adapting to human ways. Just because humans are anthropomorphizing dogs doesn't mean they are what you think they are.

My dogs laugh every time they read stuff like that

Sleeping indoors, clean water and perpetual food, a soft dry place to sleep where no bigger critters will attack in the middle of the night. Not to mention free medical and professional grooming, a 15 year life span and regular tummy rubs. Life sure stinks compared to the wild...

And if they were simply "pack animals" acting on nothing but genetic instinct, why do they each have very different demeanors? (Note that I avoided "personalities")

Pets = unnaturally enslaved animals that humans force into adapting to human ways. Just because humans are anthropomorphizing dogs doesn't mean they are what you think they are.

My dogs laugh every time they read stuff like that

Sleeping indoors, clean water and perpetual food, a soft dry place to sleep where no bigger critters will attack in the middle of the night. Not to mention free medical and professional grooming, a 15 year life span and regular tummy rubs. Life sure stinks compared to the wild...

And if they were simply "pack animals" acting on nothing but genetic instinct, why do they each have very different demeanors? (Note that I avoided "personalities")

By living with humans instead of living in a pack, their natures have been distorted to fit human's needs. In humans this would be referred to as Stockholm syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

In nature, dogs would have nothing to do with humans but would owe their loyalty to the pack. Within the pack are different demeanors depending on their status within the pack with some displaying 'Alpha' or type A personalities and they would be the leaders. The rest are subservient to the pack leaders. Your dogs know their place in your pack (even if you don't) and you are the alpha dog or pack leader. I don't mind as they are dogs to be used by humans in any way that is not cruel or abusive.

Edited by rametindallas

In nature, dogs would have nothing to do with humans but would owe their loyalty to the pack.

Your dogs know their place in your pack (even if you don't) and you are the alpha dog or pack leader.

I think your reasoning clashes a bit here. What if in the nature, a human is the pack leader? That sounds like a hunting party to me, not uncommon at all.

The two species seem to be compatible enough to form an alliance. Forms vary. And I reckon since most think of dogs as allies, well, eating your ally is a bit of bad behavior, innit?

Easy solution: eat the vicious soi dogs and leave the friendly furries be. Win-win.

In nature, dogs would have nothing to do with humans but would owe their loyalty to the pack.

Your dogs know their place in your pack (even if you don't) and you are the alpha dog or pack leader.

I think your reasoning clashes a bit here. What if in the nature, a human is the pack leader? That sounds like a hunting party to me, not uncommon at all.

The two species seem to be compatible enough to form an alliance. Forms vary. And I reckon since most think of dogs as allies, well, eating your ally is a bit of bad behavior, innit?

Easy solution: eat the vicious soi dogs and leave the friendly furries be. Win-win.

Any dog on public property without a leash or owner present should be fair game. Have you ever been bitten by a feral soi dog? They are not quite the 'allies' many think they are.

k

Dog is definitely eaten in Thailand. Was having a conversation in Lamphun one night and 3 girls there had all eaten Dog meat and all the villages around them did too..Said it was nice .I can't rememember where they were from but def hill tribe girls..lovely girls too..taking about stray dogs etc there a nuisance and used to have big problems with my wife's son who rescued a dog from someone who was going to kill it..He thought he had done the dog a favor but he didn't realize it had to be fed which seemed to be a problem to work it out for him..I caught him and his sister trying to wash him one day with a rope round his neck..tight...to try and control the dog while pouring water over it...you can guess!! anyway after sorting that out a little,while later she was in heat and every dog in the neighborhood had there way with her...who was going to look after the inevitable puppies?! Well along came 6 puppies and one week later there where 5 and then 4 till all that was left in three weeks was 1.. All run down by bikes outside as they went out under the gate . I did my nut when I got there again and tried to get him and sister to get her to the vet but they bought some medicine..it's cheaper apparently..but left it in the fridge and didn't give it to the bitch...there lies the problem..they like the idea of a dog but have zero intent or knowledge in looking after them..hence so many stay diseased dogs running free..Budhists...I don't think so...I wouldn't eat dog meat but he people want to do it..okay up to them..have a problem to argue against it as you won't get much more cute than lambs or piglets and we eat them! If your brought up eating dog you don't see it as a problem..the way they get killed and reared needs to be looked at mind

Edited by Nigeone