Berkey Water Filters

connda

Has anyone seen Berkey Water Filters for sale in Thailand.

If not, has anyone ordered a Berkey Water Filter from the US and had it shipped to Thailand? If so, any problems with customs?

Thanks,

We have one but brought it with us, It works great, and is well worth the initial cost.

It appears that the Customs duty rate for water purifiers is 5%, (plus the 7% VAT) which is not too bad, depending on the shipping cost.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/39306545/home-garden/appliances/water-purifiers-filters/import-duty-rate-for-importing-water-dispenser-water-filter-from-china-to-spain-is-1.7/

(Scroll down the list to Thailand)

Rough calculation would be unit cost plus shipping, plus 5% of those two items, and then add 7% VAT of the total amount to get the final cost.

Tired to the bone of the Thai water [non] experts and one year warranties on very expensive equipment, I finally gave up and ordered a whole house water filtration system from the US. I personally designed and carried out the installation. It is fully automated and works beautifully.

While I did not purchase Berkey, I did have the experience of importing the filtration equipment. I can offer this, some Berkey filters are small. If you can import by post, you will save yourself a lot of grief and expense. For one thing, it will be delivered to your door. Secondly, many things that come by post slip through tax free. Finally, if you are taxed, it will be 12% (5% duty and 7% VAT), with no other fees.

If you come in through the port, you will probably have to travel to Bangkok and wend your way through the customs process to retrieve the goods. In addition to the 12% tax there will be so many port fees that the tax will be dwarfed. I had to come in through the port as my system was far too large for post. I have imported quite a few things through the port. There are some tricks to the game.

If you would like to discuss it, PM me with an email address and phone number. I will not discuss it on this forum or further by PM.

why Berkey? I ask because the only place I've heard it sold from is the Alex Jones websites. And I find him to be a snake oil salesman. One of the best moves I made here was buying a Pur water filter pitcher from Target for like 30 bucks. Your only expense after that is changing the filters every 2.5 months, each one is like 4 bucks.

Edited by kblaze

We bought ours directly from Berkey at http://www.berkeyfilters.com/.

We bought the Royal Berkey with 4 black filters; based on our usage, we won't need to replace the filters for nearly 20 years.

The only maintenance is removing the filters every six months, scrubbing them down with a kitchen scrubber, and then putting the unit back together.

I agreed with your opinion of Alex Jones, so I googled "Alex Jones Berkey water filters", and learned that apparently you are mistaking the ProPur filters which he promotes with the Berkey filters.

We have used Berkey/British Berksfeld filters for over 25 years in some pretty remote locations with awful water sources, and they have never failed us - not once.

Edited by WaywardWind

Alex Jones is a fear monger.

Jack Spirco (the survival podcast) also promotes Berkey filters. Jack isn't an ass hat nor is he a talking head.

Order one online.

• 6 months later...