My first journey to Central Festive Plaza.

chingmai331

Drove in and took the plastic parking card. Saw no evidence of cars paying for parking so wondered about the function of the card. Did not read the very fine print on the back of the card. Did not even know if in English. Bought some Durian ice-cream and gave the card to the clerk who took my money for the durian goody. Attempted to depart the Plaza and was stopped by the police for 'no card'. Or pay 100 baht. Ha. Stopped the car in the lane and went back to the shop, got the card, turned it back to the authorities and drove out fast.

So, what the hell is the function of the parking card??

Regarding that Mall: not for me. I'll take KSK anyday.

Drove in and took the plastic parking card. Saw no evidence of cars paying for parking so wondered about the function of the card. Did not read the very fine print on the back of the card. Did not even know if in English. Bought some Durian ice-cream and gave the card to the clerk who took my money for the durian goody. Attempted to depart the Plaza and was stopped by the police for 'no card'. Or pay 100 baht. Ha. Stopped the car in the lane and went back to the shop, got the card, turned it back to the authorities and drove out fast.

So, what the hell is the function of the parking card??

Regarding that Mall: not for me. I'll take KSK anyday.

I was told it was to prevent car theft but that would only work if they took your ID on paying the fine. I don't know if they do.

Alternatively, it could be to monitor how many cars are in there.

I "lost" my card some time ago at the Airport Plaza and had to pay a 100 baht fine, they gave me a receipt. When I got home I found the card and the next week when I went back to the Airport Plaza, they refunded the 100 baht when I produced the card and receipt.

One day last month they were giving out cards again at the Airport Plaza, first time for several years, but on subsequent visits no cards.

And you probably don't need a car to go to KSK!

Everyone does not live on the west side of town Nancy... coffee1.gif

This is something that many who consider themselves "old-timers" do not seem to understand - not everyone thinks, acts, have the same reasons for things, etc., etc., Good one, Loptr!

This is something that many who consider themselves "old-timers" do not seem to understand - not everyone thinks, acts, have the same reasons for things, etc., etc., Good one, Loptr!

The OP did mention KSK in his post, so I assumed that was his "mall of choice".

Those of us who go to KSK 7 - 10 times a week are going to miss it when the inevitable happens. Somehow these malls that you have to approach via car just don't have the same attraction -- you can't just "pop in" when you need something, even though you were there in the morning. Heck, I use KSK as a short-cut when I'm walking to CM Ram. It has a post office -- something I haven't seen at other malls.

Maya holds promise of filling the same niche once KSK bites the dust, but it has a way to go. At least they're getting more seating scattered around that mall, encouraging people to linger. That's a start.

NancyL,

Central Airport Plaza has a post office. It is in the same office with the government things.

I have been to Central Festival but as a "come-a-long" or for some reason necessary to visit AIS. I have never been to Maya and don't care to go there. For these reasons I can't give any factual knowledge of post offices, yet I somehow think they probably have something in these malls.

I understand it is convenient for you from your posts. However, there are probably many, many people, me for one, that it has no appeal anymore.

As for seating, it may be good for some, but I think the idea of a shopping mall is to have the people moving, looking, entering, and ultimately spending money. Of course that can make you tired!

On the subject of malls - if all the malls can be supported, just how many residents and visitors will Chiang Mai city have? Just think of how many complaints can then be lodged on a forum.

Edited by hml367

Joys of riding a proper bike, just roll into the "superbike" lot in the underground carpark of central airport/festival, then when ready to leave just roll out, no tickets, no talking to anyone, no gates

Central Festive Plaza has the most eye candy and the best coffee and dessert shops like Mrs. Fields Cookies. To me, it is the best mall, but not very convenient. Personally, I wish that they had knocked KSK down and built it there.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The OP did mention KSK in his post, so I assumed that was his "mall of choice".

Those of us who go to KSK 7 - 10 times a week are going to miss it when the inevitable happens. Somehow these malls that you have to approach via car just don't have the same attraction -- you can't just "pop in" when you need something, even though you were there in the morning. Heck, I use KSK as a short-cut when I'm walking to CM Ram. It has a post office -- something I haven't seen at other malls.

Maya holds promise of filling the same niche once KSK bites the dust, but it has a way to go. At least they're getting more seating scattered around that mall, encouraging people to linger. That's a start.

Both Airport Plaza and Central Festival have Post Offices (oh yeah that's one other thing I like about Central Festival other than the cinema).

******DELETE, DELETE, DELETE.....BACKSPACE, BACKSPACE, BACKSPACE****** (Self Edit)

I do understand some of your frustrations but I think some of you guys are being a bit too critical of Central Festival. It's a great mall and has a great system of parking that handles between five and ten thousand cars a day. If it didn't work well that many cars would create chaos. There's a learning curve to everything. Figure out how Central works and you will find it hard to shop anywhere else.

Hard to believe. No one can answer the original question and no one questioned the durian ice-cream !!

Dissappointed? wink.png

Anyway on the topic of malls, it strikes me that Promenada is the only one that has air conditioning that achieves its intended purpose. Even brand new Central Festival seems to be skimping on air conditioning. The place is an oven at times.

Yes guys, build a multi million Baht facility but then skimp a couple baht on electricity to chase customers out the door as soon as possible; way to go.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hard to believe. No one can answer the original question and no one questioned the durian ice-cream !!

I was actually wondering why the OP gave the parking card when he bought the Durian ice cream...and why the ice cream shop accepted it.

Central Festive Plaza has the most eye candy and the best coffee and dessert shops like Mrs. Fields Cookies. To me, it is the best mall, but not very convenient. Personally, I wish that they had knocked KSK down and built it there.

The last time I was in Festival I looked around for Mrs. Fields but couldn’t find it so asked and was told they moved out. Probably for the best since I found the fudge hard to resist.

Gee I live in Chiang Rai and have been to Festival Plaza several times. I don’t understand why some people hate malls. The majority of people seem to like them. Can’t understand why people boast that they have never been to popular places.
Parking cards are really quite normal in Thailand and their purpose should be obvious.
Edited by villagefarang

Dissappointed? wink.png

Anyway on the topic of malls, it strikes me that Promenada is the only one that has air conditioning that achieves its intended purpose. Even brand new Central Festival seems to be skimping on air conditioning. The place is an oven at times.

Yes guys, build a multi million Baht facility but then skimp a couple baht on electricity to chase customers out the door as soon as possible; way to go.

I was in there about a month ago for a Sunday morning children's event put on by my kid's school and a few other schools. Only 30 minutes into the event, there was a loud sound and then a complete black out (fai daap) in the mall. The few emergency lights did come on but during the 2 hours we waited for the event to resume, there was no A/C (and no elevators or escalators of course) in all of Central Festival! Needless to say there were a lot of VERY disappointed kids that day.

The strange thing was that Central Department Store seemed unaffected by the fai daap and all floors of only Central were brightly lit up.

Dissappointed? wink.png

Just guessing, but maybe it's because Promenada has a lot less people than Festival, so less body heat generated and doors to the outside opening up less often. Anyways, whenever my GF and I go to Festival, we're always cold, even on weekends.

******DELETE, DELETE, DELETE.....BACKSPACE, BACKSPACE, BACKSPACE****** (Self Edit)

I do understand some of your frustrations but I think some of you guys are being a bit too critical of Central Festival. It's a great mall and has a great system of parking that handles between five and ten thousand cars a day. If it didn't work well that many cars would create chaos. There's a learning curve to everything. Figure out how Central works and you will find it hard to shop anywhere else.

Nothing at all wrong with the parking system at Festival mall. In fact it is very efficient. But I dislike the mall completely. It's the last on my list if I need to shop.

Have to agree with the eye candy. It's my favourite mall because of that. Everyone is so nicely dressed and well-behaved, it's almost surreal.

When Festival opened it was so cold that the Thai would be wearing down coats to shop and work. Luckily I was heading to the skating rink so I had long sleeves on. I'm not a mall person per se but they a have different attractions for me, some out of necessity like AIS or carnal pleasures like Ramen at Prommanade. The mrs fields place was a bad copy of the American chain with bad attitude to go with it, good riddance along with its high prices!

No BS priorities, well stated. I will be sure to visit when I get my new lens prescription.

Central Festival is my least favorite mall of any of them. Cinema is fine but that's it. I can see how it appeals to Asians however.

And yet, it's the one I like best.

Lots of pretty girls cruising, and a short-time hotel beside the m/c park.

What more could any man want!

Dissappointed? wink.png

I was in there about a month ago for a Sunday morning children's event put on by my kid's school and a few other schools. Only 30 minutes into the event, there was a loud sound and then a complete black out (fai daap) in the mall. The few emergency lights did come on but during the 2 hours we waited for the event to resume, there was no A/C (and no elevators or escalators of course) in all of Central Festival! Needless to say there were a lot of VERY disappointed kids that day.

The strange thing was that Central Department Store seemed unaffected by the fai daap and all floors of only Central were brightly lit up.

I went to the movies there and one day walked down to central department store. I noticed on the way that already some shops had moved out. When I went into the department store I noticed the tile floor was completely different and several places the tile had popped off. Just like it had been a rush rush after thought job.

Not sure about the eye candy watchers. Lots of school kidssad.png there. Really don't care for the Mall it is like a big noisy box but they do have the best theaters. Also prefer the Tops there to all the the other Tops and Rimping's.

I would like to know the reason for the parking tickets. I noticed one poster said it was obvious but apparently not to him either as he didn't mention why. Maybe they figure on making 100 baht on them from the people who give them to the Ice Cream Vendor.tongue.png

Every time one of these "mall threads" pops up, there are always a couple of posters who state (based on what?) that it is "inevitable" that KSK will shut down. With the possible exception of Central Airport Plaza, I'll bet KSK beats every other mall in town for volume of customers, any day of the week. It definitely could use some modernizing, but it's still the Peoples' Choice.

Anyway, whoever took the contract for demolition would go broke. That place is massive.

Long live KSK!