Sahamongkol withdraws lawsuit against Tony Jaa

webfact

Sahamongkol withdraws lawsuit against Tony Jaa
By Coconuts Bangkok

tony_2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The president of Sahamongkol Film International announced today he will withdraw the lawsuit filed against Tony Jaa over his role in “Fast & Furious 7.”

Studio mogul Somsak Techaratanaprasert, aka "Sia Jiang," said today he has instructed his lawyers to end litigation against Tony Jaa by withdrawing the case from the Civil Court.

In Sept. 2013 the studio first announced it would sue Tony, claiming the action star was in breach of contract by taking the role in the international blockbuster just after renewing an exclusive, 10-year contract with the Sahamongkol. In response the star sought through his lawyers to be released from the contract.

At the time, the company demanded THB1.6 billion compensation plus 7.5 percent interest, alleging the action star ditched the project "Ai Noom Kangnam" in which the company had invested THB26 million.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/07/sahamongkol-withdraws-lawsuit-against-tony-jaa

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-07

At the time, the company demanded THB1.6 billion compensation plus 7.5 percent interest, alleging the action star ditched the project "Ai Noom Kangnam" in which the company had invested THB26 million.

1,600 Millions for a 26 Millions loss; that seems about right. /sarcasm

I wonder why they dropped the case against the Hollywood studio, that made the movie, too. Surely the Hollywood studio had deep pockets. How much money has Tony earned them so far? Sahamongkol would have a lot less on my money if not for Tony Jaa.

Who was the famous Muay Thai boxer sued by his management team? It seems people want to dominate their main income earners. Oh, well. I'll add it to the rest of the million things 'Falang no unnerstan'.

edited to add: it was recently announced that the Por Pramuk camp would sue their cash cow for 100 million baht http://www.mymuaythai.com/archives/buakaw-sued/ One of the greats of Muay Thai driven into retirement.

Edited by rametindallas

I wonder why they dropped the case against the Hollywood studio, that made the movie, too. Surely the Hollywood studio had deep pockets. How much money has Tony earned them so far? Sahamongkol would have a lot less on my money if not for Tony Jaa.

Who was the famous Muay Thai boxer sued by his management team? It seems people want to dominate their main income earners. Oh, well. I'll add it to the rest of the million things 'Falang no unnerstan'.

edited to add: it was recently announced that the Por Pramuk camp would sue their cash cow for 100 million baht http://www.mymuaythai.com/archives/buakaw-sued/ One of the greats of Muay Thai driven into retirement.

I am assuming an errant B meaning billion not million above.

This is unreasonable compensation.

As is the 10 yr contractual obligation for Tony Jaa, a system which Hollywood dropped by the 1960's. It seems doubtful he would commit to, if he was unable to accept outside projects, being such a stellar property for Thailand.

Just a guess, but I suspect Hollywood has deeper pockets and better lawyers and threatened a counter-suit with real merit.

After all, Thailand is simply not equipped to play in the shark infested waters of litigation in which the USA reign supreme.

Lets not forget the woman with the hot coffee who got a lot more that 26 million Baht.

This is unreasonable compensation.

As is the 10 yr contractual obligation for Tony Jaa, a system which Hollywood dropped by the 1960's. It seems doubtful he would commit to, if he was unable to accept outside projects, being such a stellar property for Thailand.

Just a guess, but I suspect Hollywood has deeper pockets and better lawyers and threatened a counter-suit with real merit.

After all, Thailand is simply not equipped to play in the shark infested waters of litigation in which the USA reign supreme.

Lets not forget the woman with the hot coffee who got a lot more that 26 million Baht.

1,600 million = 1.6 billion.

I did that to clearly illustrate the ratio of lawsuit to loss or 1,600 to 26 in equal units (millions). Does Tony Jaa even have $56 millions? And I thought the US was litigious.

BTW, on appeal the McDonald's coffee judgment was reduced to 15.6 million Baht or $480,000 from the original $2.9 million.

Your point is well taken that you don't sue large corporations in the US unless you can get them to your own, favorable court's, jurisdiction.

so you sue somebody and ask only 50x more what you supposedly lost

as if there is no other actor that can fight in thailand? they just have to hire some walking street touts, tuk tuk drivers or jetski operators

but i guess nobody wants to see a 10 dogpack fight beating one man