pattaya to Udon Thani ( with car) things to see and do ?

BEDBANDIT

Im traveling to Udon next week , im going bye car , i have time to spare ,
im looking for some interesting things to see or do on the way , dont mind a bit of a detour. im not even sure which route to take , we might stay the night some where, or could just go the fastest way but could throu buirram and ive got a friend in surin i should visit .
not really looking to to go temple hoping ... and ive been to that khao phanom rung place outside of nangrong ..

my GF really like things to do with nature , waterfalls , hot springs , anything to do with animals

got any suggestions ?

If you want to see nature, landscapes, animals then you surely have to go on route 304 which goes through Khao Yai national park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khao_Yai_National_Park

Khao Yai is one of the most popular national parks and surely worth an excursion.

If you want to visit friends in Buriram and Surin then an overnight is unavoidable.

After Khao Yai you could turn eastwards to Buriram/Surin.

Even on the shortest/quickest route the trip is 8h under good conditions without major stops.

So any detour, sightseeing will bring you in trouble to reach U.T. during daylight (which I would strictly recommend).

No driving in the night (for me).

Quickest would be on the tollway/freeways (7/9/2) not passing through Khao Yai.

304 runs near the park but not through it. The road up the mountain to the turn to go to Khao Yai is very slow sometimes with trucks. When you get to the to, look for a PTT station on the right. At that point you turn around and go back til you see a very tall sign with names and arrows. Turn right and you will be on your way to Khao Yai. About 40-50 km.

The instructions I give like that because there is no road number.

Wrong country for " interesting" unless she/you like rocks/water puddles. washed out roads and half starved buffalos.

abandoned shacks ! Stay home. buy 20 films of really interesting places, keep your sanity/limbs/lives and

send your friend an " We are sick " text message !

Turn off at Sa Kaeo (about third of the way) & stop off at Aranyaprathet---for the night, your GF will be knocked out at the market there---at least 50%---60% cheaper than Pattaya for knock offs, (in fact when I lived in Pattaya I knew of market stalls that just brought their stuff from there) in those days the market was the other side of the boarder --Poi Pet, they relocated after one of those disputes that closed the border. Also she can wander across for 20 baht & buy you some duty free drink.

Scenic places--theres not so many, take the mountian road----304 its really improved over the years with upgrades & a lot of it turned into Dual highway, I do the journy about 3-4 times a year.

Khon Kaen Zoo on highway halfway between KK and Udon. Also has a waterpark next door, in the same complex.

Also worth a look is the big dam/reservoir near KK (sorry the name evades me). Pleasant drive out with plenty of places overlooking the lake to stop for a look.

Edited by FT10toLOS

Phimai, if going on hi way 2, check out Koran or Khan Kaen Zoo's, anybody been to both, I would be interested to hear about both, thx

I've also been to Phimai, definitely worth a look. I enjoyed both.

also worth a look is the big dam/reservoir near KK (sorry the name evades me)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubol_Ratana_Dam

(Ubol Ratana Dam (pronounced: Ubon Rat))

I have been there some 15 years ago.

Maybe at the moment the water will be quite low.

I've also been to Phimai, definitely worth a look. I enjoyed both.

Agree, and not a big detour from highway 2.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would advice follow this route, Surin - Ubon Rachtatani - Mukdahan - Nakhon Phanom - That Phanom - Bueng kan - Nong Kai - Udon.

many intresting Thing to see on the way.

Surin: Chon Chom market

Udon: Siridorn Dam, Pattay Noi (55555), Sam Phan Bhok ( spectacular , should make a boattrip 1000 Baht , 2 river 2 color,

and so much more,

I just made this trip a few weeks ago.

but after Nongkhai I followed the Mekong till Chiang Khan. very scenic road an Chiang Khan is a very nice place te relax,

You will be probably the only westerner in all that places.

Everwhere nice hotels en look at Tripadvisor for some excellent restaurants.

If you just want an easy drive, stop at Phi Mai, it us probably about half way. Spend the night, tour the zoo and Khmer ruins the next day, then one more night and on to Udon the third day. It would make an easy drive and the zoo and ruins are worth seeing.

Phimai, if going on hi way 2, check out Koran or Khan Kaen Zoo's, anybody been to both, I would be interested to hear about both, thx

Khon Kaen zoo just had the crash five killed and 50 injured on their shuttle bus.

The route is not interesting. The nicest part is Bangkok to Korat if you go that way otherwise little to see or do unless you are touring PTT stations.

Khon Kaen zoo just had the crash five killed and 50 injured on their shuttle bus.

The route is not interesting. The nicest part is Bangkok to Korat if you go that way otherwise little to see or do unless you are touring PTT stations.

Have u been to Zoo?

I would worry about the K K zoo. Read news one day accident was break failure, next day stuck accelerator. Everything but the truth. What do you expect in a country were the national pastime is tailgating.

I live in Phimai and apart from historical park there's Sai Ngam just outside the centre which they call Banyan tree where you can relax under the canopy of roots and have a meal and walk around the small lake complex.stay overnight in Phimai inn for about 500 baht and use their 20 metre pool. Of course Nakhon Ratchasima 70 kilometres beforehand on your route has a zoo and quite nice water park combined.