PEA electricity BIG bill information

mrblue

after the weekend I'm back again. this is the pea bill we receive every month. the upper part is the coming bill, and the lower part is the last bill for comparison.

thank you again to all who can help with this issue!

there's nothing wrong with this bill MrBlue and nobody can help you. in may 2015 you used 3,902 kW (units) and were charged 18,303 Baht. that's an average of 4.69 Baht per kWh and that exactly the same unit price what i paid for the last two billing cycles. the consumption is also consistent and in line with the consumption of the last several months.

from what i can see there's also no such thing like a reduced rate for the night which you thought you are getting.

summary: either your aircon usage estimate is completely off the mark (highly likely) or other consumers are connected to your meter.

i apologise being the bearer of bad news wai2.gif

first of all, thank you!

I am sure that nobody is connected to my meter, so at least I know I should not complain to anyone else.

but I still think that it's a heap of money if I compare to my neighbours, even 4 of them put together!

everything closed!

I also live 50kms far from chiangmai, by the mountain, so the weather is not THAT hot and we always keep aircons set at 27C.

the one mostly used is one 12k.btu at night and during the day, the 2x35k.btu are used only at night for 6 hours or even less, and not every night!

last year we even used a 35k.btu during the day for 3 hours or so almost everyday (in addition to the mentioned above ones, and the bill was much less than this!

We have a small townhouse but mostly use fans. When it's very hot we run an air conditioner in one room for 4-6 hours @ 25-27c. Our bill is usually under 3000 a month. In the same soi, neighbours with similar sized houses have bills from 4-8,000 baht a month. Even on nights while the outside temperature drops to the low twenties, some still run their a/c all night at about 23c and more than one unit so it illustrates how costly a/c can be. The family with the biggest bill work a lot but when they are home they always have the a/c on. If your neighbors aren't hooked up to your supply then try keeping a diary for a month to pin down exactly how often your a/c units are really on and at what setting. In a big house, especially up north, maybe what you think you are using is not correct e.g. while you are asleep everyone else also has a/c on and set lower than you think... also make sure the windows are shut properly...

well, can do the check, but actually we are the same family and we know the settings used, it's me and wife, my parents and my grandmother, who cannot move from bed, so we set it up. the other couple has no ac in their room.

and we never set it at lower than 27 (I actually sometimes put it at 28)

no need to set it at 10 degrees less than the outside temperature, since even a 2/3 degree difference can already be felt like abenefit. even dehumidify the room can improve the quality, and it's not needed 18C to do that.

Try to turn off one of the ACs for a whole month if possible , and then check the bill agaiin. Then you can figure out how much your paying for running AC all night.

everything closed!

I also live 50kms far from chiangmai, by the mountain, so the weather is not THAT hot and we always keep aircons set at 27C.

the one mostly used is one 12k.btu at night and during the day, the 2x35k.btu are used only at night for 6 hours or even less, and not every night!

last year we even used a 35k.btu during the day for 3 hours or so almost everyday (in addition to the mentioned above ones, and the bill was much less than this!

assuming your information is more or less correct your consumption seems indeed much too high and it really would be interesting to find out why. is there really no other electricity consuming gadget you might have overlooked?

my question is based on another thread in which a TV-member mentioned several years ago a similar complaint. then after days of exploration he mentioned "a koi pond where a small filter pump runs 24/7". when i asked him to check for the pumps specification it turned out to be a not so small 1½hp pump drawing ~800kWh/month which was 40% of his total consumption!

have some other gadgets too as well, but I think they are responsible of 10% of the bill alltogheter.

talking about 1 computer, two switch hubs for lan, some wifi repeaters around the house.

we also have 3 pumps in the house for an inside waterfall and fountain, but those are not used everyday (like your 24h pond example), but just (if used!) a total of 15mins a day (sum of 3) and it is nothing new added!

I found a last year bill of may, and it was less than 10k baht!

my bet now is on the big windowed fridge...

next week I'll go buy an amp-clamp and check around the house.

what you mentioned won't make (except perhaps the fridge) any noticeable impact. my bet is on your aircons.

+1 Naam.

Aircon is by far the most juicy appliance in most people's homes.

When were these units last serviced, filters cleaned, outdoor units washed? Low gas or dirt can cause inefficient operation and high power consumption.

well, can do the check, but actually we are the same family and we know the settings used, it's me and wife, my parents and my grandmother, who cannot move from bed, so we set it up. the other couple has no ac in their room.

In your original post you state there are nine living in your house but in your reply quoted above it seems you have only accounted for seven people... what have the two unaccounted people been getting up to I wonder.. ermm.gif

In your original post you state there are nine living in your house but in your reply quoted above it seems you have only accounted for seven people... what have the two unaccounted people been getting up to I wonder.. ermm.gif

he has two dogs... i think ermm.gif

hahaha!!! quite right!

actually we are now in 8, was 9 few months ago, when a girl used to live with us taking care of grandmom who is 92yo. and 1 is a 8yo kid of the couple who live with us and do cleaning and take care of the garden.

at first I said 9 thinking in the past, then second time I forgot about the kid.

anyway, we also have 2 dogs in the house and 5 outside, but they don't use much electricity actually...

Edited by mrblue