increased visa fee from first of august?!?!

As baht has been gone down fast lately sounds reasonable as they have to observe exchange rates when they make much of a change. Normally this visa is obtained in Savannakhet these days so be sure you can get before you make the trip. Have you checked into extensions from immigration?

according to the two agents i spoke to on Tuesday they are getting Many many less applications since they stopped allowing most all Africans ( along with Cambodians and Vietnamese) which went into effect in Feb, to obtain any sort of visa in Penang.

did see the thai baht is at 33.85 to the $ so that might be a reason

plus

Last year 10 MYR was 100 baht

now 10 MYR is 110 baht

• Like 1

As said it is an adjustment for the exchange rate. The basic fee of 5000 baht has not changed.

At today's rate 550 MYR is only 4708 baht.

Maybe to some cash exchange rates?

Currency market rates:

550 MYR = 5041 THB

750 MYR = 6873 THB

http://www.xe.com

So this rise has some "future development" included whistling.gif

Posted Today, 13:02

go.png

Hi, I just called Penang and they told me that the non-immigrant visa for one year (in my case O based on mariage) will increase from 550 MYR to 750 MYR on the 1st of August 2015. Has anyone recieved the same information? I do not find anything of this online

about the visa fee.

Maybe i am wrong but if the thai baht goes down, so devalues against the ringit the price in ringit should go down and not up!!

The costs are thai baht!! And next to that, from 500 to 750 is 50% . That can never reflect a change in currency.

So, no must be another explanation.

• Like 1

As baht has been gone down fast lately sounds reasonable as they have to observe exchange rates when they make much of a change. Normally this visa is obtained in Savannakhet these days so be sure you can get before you make the trip. Have you checked into extensions from immigration?

Have you not been following the decline on the Malasian currency over the last few months.

As said it is an adjustment for the exchange rate. The basic fee of 5000 baht has not changed.

At today's rate 550 MYR is only 4708 baht.

Maybe to some cash exchange rates?

Currency market rates:

550 MYR = 5041 THB

750 MYR = 6873 THB

http://www.xe.com

So this rise has some "future development" included whistling.gif

Bangkok Bank currency calculator on this page. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

Just moment ago 550 MYR is now 4713.50 baht. Was the rate you used the buying or selling rate.

Have you not been following the decline on the Malasian currency over the last few months.

Yes, i did. In august last year 1 thai baht was equivalent to 0,1 MYR. In december to 0,105 Myr, In februari to 0,11 MYR and now more or less the same.

I used as source of information www.xe.com. So my remark is still the same!

I enclose a picture that shows the development of the curency value of a myr per thai baht over one year.

So again: if the costs are in thai baht, of course, it is the thai governement that charges and the MYR is getting a higher value then you have to pay LESS and not MORE MYR !! So the change in currencyrate between myr and thai baht can not be a reason!

post-192867-0-87550800-1437731930_thumb.

The embassy in KL is responsible for setting the fees in MYR based upon the fees set by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which have not changed for years. The 550 MYR fee apparently has gotten to close to the current exchange rates so they are raising them.

You will find that in most countries the fees are higher than what the current exchange rates are.. For example in the US the 5000 baht fee is set at $200.

Another factor is that it is not a freely convertible currency. Check local bank rates and you will find it is not even listed for anything but cash exchange. If nobody wants it what XE.com or others say means nothing. As I recall even exchange outside of Malaysia was illegal several decades ago (it was a real mess in Hat Yai as banks could not touch it).

MYR

Malaysia 8.57 9.24 Unquote Unquote Unquote

Consulates of all countries generally use an exchange rate that is a lot more unfavourable than the regular rate. When did the Thai consulates in Malaysia last adjust their visa fees in local currency?

post-21260-0-54784000-1437735662_thumb.j

'As baht has been gone down fast lately ...' Not by 40%, it hasn't.