Thai police to impose Article 44 on motorcycle gangs

webfact

Police to impose Article 44 on motorcycle gangs

BANGKOK, 30 July 2015 (NNT) – Police are preparing to apply Article 44 to the campaign aimed at suppressing motorcycle gang activities and social vices.

Royal Thai Police Spokesperson, Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thavornsiri has disclosed that the ban on alcohol sales within a 300-meter radius of schools will come into effect within six months. Meanwhile, authorities will also keep a close watch on motorcycle outlets to curtail sales of certain bike accessories.

Pol Lt Gen Prawut explained the move was to prevent teenagers from consuming alcohol, which often leads to a drunken brawl and to stop motorcycle gangs from causing a public nuisance. The campaign came about after a recent meeting during which the Ministry of Justice asked related agencies to apply Article 44 to their efforts to curb trouble makers.

Article 44 empowers the National Council for Peace and Order's (NCPO) leader, to issue any order to deal with any act deemed harmful to social order or security.

The Royal Thai Police Spokesperson, however, told concerned business operators not to overly panic. He explained that the zoning of liquor shops has yet to begin. Meanwhile, the use of Article 44 will cover only bike shops that sell accessories intended for illegal street racing.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-30 footer_n.gif

now to see if the police actually enforce this or simply look the other way as per usual, unless there is something in it for them they do tend to ignore the rule of law. Would be great if they actually did something positive for a change.

So the ban on alcohol sales is not actually in effect yet?

TIT. Public statement saying something only to be retracted a couple of days later.

One can see that on many threads here: Gun at Tokyo airport, koh tao case and others.

I guess it was a "translation error" that they said that the law trod into effect immediately.

Edited by petedk

Is this in relation to street racing gangs or outlaw motorcycle gangs

Sounds like they're just concerned with the street racing gangs (for now) and the shops supplying them with their after-market parts.

This is nothing more than an official admission that the government has no power over the police.

They cannot even push the lethargic police farce to enforce even the most basic laws (traffic, alcohol etc).

There is no more face left over lo lose, this is truly a failed state.

Police to impose Article 44 on motorcycle gangs

Police are preparing to apply Article 44

the Ministry of Justice asked related agencies to apply Article 44 to their efforts

Some months back, when Article 44 was first used, it was suggested that this could lead to abuse of authority.

Now, evidently, everybody gets to suggest or apply Article 44.

Maybe it's just sloppy translation.

Yeah, nothing to worry about. coffee1.gif

Let or have the police actually do their job and make arrests and confiscate the bikes for ever. And then at the end of the year have a sale on those same bikes.

Great idea - get the police to make arrests and confiscate the illegally modified bikes thus removing the problem from the community. Happy days!

Then every now and then sell these bikes back again - likely to the same people and re-introduce the problem to the community.... Brilliant!!

<quote>Police to impose Article 44 on motorcycle gangs

BANGKOK, 30 July 2015 (NNT) – Police are preparing to apply Article 44 to the campaign aimed at suppressing motorcycle gang activities and social vices.

post-170572-0-99460900-1438248373_thumb.

I was wondering why it is cop city down Soi Rang Nam at the moment. There is a little street bar there that openly sells booze to minors. Anyone familiar with the area will know where I'm talking about, opposite century cinema.

You even see the kids with their government style haircuts getting pissed there. The thing is the cops cracked down on that road not long after the coup. They were there in force for about a week then all just couldn't be arsed policing it after that. I suspect the same thing will happen again soon.

Sounds like they're just concerned with the street racing gangs (for now) and the shops supplying them with their after-market parts.

Until a person of influence taps them on the shoulder causing a backpedal or it just fades away.

I have to ask why do the Police need article 44, they already have laws to deal with these outlaws. Good fresh unused laws.

Absolutely agree - the answer, I believe, lies in the inherent addiction by these idiots of the need to be seen to be wielding more power.

Why not use Art.44 for all matters deemed "anti-Thai" or whatever the phrase is? - after all, checks and balances, judicial oversight, separation of powers and all that other useless democratic nonsense are such a hindrance to a well-meaning and benevolent group of armed criminals.......................

This is nothing more than an official admission that the government has no power over the police.

They cannot even push the lethargic police farce to enforce even the most basic laws (traffic, alcohol etc).

There is no more face left over lo lose, this is truly a failed state.

Unfortunately I have to agree. BUT the PM thru his control of the Army should whack a few senior Police around their heads to make them enforce the laws or lose their jobs! And no more "sideways" movements. Where there is a will there is a way. But no will = no way. Time will tell what the level of failure will, once again, be sad.png

Seemingly always, much talk and very little positive action.

Am I right in thinking there is more Police than Army? By quite a margin? I agree with the other poster. The Police are a law to themselves,excuse the pun, and basically seem they are not interested in anything the PM says. It's a real hidden battle of power I feel

now to see if the police actually enforce this or simply look the other way as per usual, unless there is something in it for them they do tend to ignore the rule of law. Would be great if they actually did something positive for a change.

What are you doing so positive. You cry like an old woman.

Am I right in thinking there is more Police than Army? By quite a margin? I agree with the other poster. The Police are a law to themselves,excuse the pun, and basically seem they are not interested in anything the PM says. It's a real hidden battle of power I feel

Its a good country that is growing inside and around itself. Eliminate so many ex-pats 50% of any problems solved. Maybe more.

Hopefully it does.

Stop this brand of organised crime in Thailand the same way Campbell Newman killed them off in Queensland.

Don't have to spend to much time in Swampy to see the steroid pumped up thugs from Oz there. Rebels in particular.

Which "certain bike accessories" facilitate street racing? Does the fitting of, say, an upgraded brake caliper automatically make you a street racer? Or an oil cooler?

It is a bit strange at how the wonderful BIB prioritise things up here in Chiang Mai.

Regarding Mororbikes, the local plod will nick and fine many many kids on bikes because the exhaust on their bike does not have the official seal of approval in Thailand, however, the same cops do nothing about the fact that half of the kids are under 14 years old and most are not wearing a helmet (Believe me, I have seen this on a daily basis for the past 10 years taking my son to school)

Laws are only enforced when it suits.

Its a good country that is growing inside and around itself. Eliminate so many ex-pats 50% of any problems solved. Maybe more.

Yeah, you're right, the expats are factually controlling the police, army, government and any other institutions and therefore responsible for most of Thailand's problems. thumbsup.gif

"Eliminate so many ex-pats 50% of any problems solved."

What did you have in mind gassing or machine gunning? Any particular age group?

I trust you are Thai?

THe problem lies not with the laws as Thailand has laws for everything. The problem is as I see it two fold. First the the law breakers ar not dealt with harshly enough to make them not want to commit the crime again and the second thing is that enforcement of the law appears to be a random event. Today the police will stop motor bike riders without helmets and tomorrow, same police same place will ignore them.

If you want to solve the problems that we all know exist then the law must apply to everyone irrespective of social standing. The penelties must be harsh e.g. motor bike gangs take the motor bikes and send them to a crusher yard plus heavy and I mean heave fines / prison sentences for the people involved. Finally the law must be enforced 100%. If it isnt then it makes the law look like a fool.

Edited by gandalf12

A double negative post in one day - having a senior moment are we??.........lets take a breath and pop another beer shall we?? - I'm buying wai2.gif

Why does it need article 44 to enforce existing laws with regard to street racing and motorcycle gangs.

There is simply so much chaos here and so little enforcement that they do not have a snowballs chance in hell even if they are sincere in their actions.

These are the street racers they are talking about.The 1%er motorcycle clubs from Europe and The U.S. Don't have an easy of A

Time breaking the laws in Thaland that they do in their home country.If they're farang they stick out.It's a lot harder for them

To participate in illegal activity.They are out to generate money,not do street racing.