Cyclist says helmet saved him from knife-wielding moto maniac

webfact

Cyclist Says Helmet Saved Him From Knife-Wielding Moto Maniac
By Khaosod English

14386059741438606093l.jpg
Thitiwat Rongthong, 25-year-old front man of The Darkest Romance, holds the helmet he says kept an attacker from slashing his head.

BANGKOK — A musician said a motorcyclist attacked him with a knife during a robbery attempt while he was cycling in Bangkok on Saturday night.

Thitiwat Rongthong, the 25-year-old singer and bassist for The Darkest Romance, told reporters today he was riding a bicycle to watch a show at a bar on Royal City Avenue at around 11.30 pm when a motorcyclist flanked him and forced him to stop on Rama IX Road.

According to Thitiwat, the masked motorcyclist accused him of almost crashing into his bike and then asked how much Thitiwat was willing to pay had he actually crashed into him.

Thitiwat said he attempted to walk away, at which point the motorcyclist drew out a knife and demanded his money.

“I told him I had no money. He tried to search my bag, but he didn’t find any money, so he slashed his knife at me, but I twisted away and used my helmet to shield myself,” Thitiwat said of the encounter. “The knife hit the helmet. Luckily I wasn’t hurt.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438605974&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-04

"Darkest Romance"? Those with a knowledge of Thai slang might get the joke.

I give u 10 baht , go call someone who cares about your secrete slang . oh....here is one for you . mofuggers flappin da jib's ......a person with knowledge of Chicago slang "might" get the joke .............................

These incidents seem to happen more often now than in the past. There is this incident; the foreigner sitting in a coffee shaop attacked by a knife wielding local; taxi drivers with large knives and so it goes on. My own brother in law was killed in a road rage situation a few years ago here in Thailand. Both cars stopped and the other person pulled a machete and cut up my BIL and 3 mates. He was eventually caught and doing 20 years in prison and ordered to pay restitution to my Mother in Law. Of course never paid. He claimed self defense but since none of the other parties had any weapons the judge didn't buy the story. He'll probably be out in 10 - not much for a life is it? Teh best advice is to walk or run during any confrontation in Thailand. There are a lot of crazies around.

Edited by Thaidream

Just thinking- having first come to Thailand almost 50 years ago- I can only think of 2 incidents involving Thais which could be considered confrontational - both of which I diffused. However, I can think of at least 5 or more involving Westerners who wanted to fight- fueled by either alcohol, jealousy or both. Normally, Thai staff intervened before those escalated but felt more threatened than with the Westerners than Thais. Fortunately, no one had any weapons. All of the incidents happened in the so called entertainment districts. Best to walk away before things get rough and police become involved.

I give u 10 baht , go call someone who cares about your secrete slang . oh....here is one for you . mofuggers flappin da jib's ......a person with knowledge of Chicago slang "might" get the joke .............................

There is nothing secret about it as it is common usage if offensive. Next time your g/f calls you "dark ling" ask someone what it means.

Just thinking- having first come to Thailand almost 50 years ago- I can only think of 2 incidents involving Thais which could be considered confrontational - both of which I diffused. However, I can think of at least 5 or more involving Westerners who wanted to fight- fueled by either alcohol, jealousy or both. Normally, Thai staff intervened before those escalated but felt more threatened than with the Westerners than Thais. Fortunately, no one had any weapons. All of the incidents happened in the so called entertainment districts. Best to walk away before things get rough and police become involved.

Yep.

I have been living here 6 years now. I have had incidents with Thais maybe once or twice in that time. Back home in London you always had confrontation to look out for even if you were minding your own business!

I have never had to cross the road for feeling threatened here in Thailand, it was all too common an occurrence in the UK.

Well do enlighten the rest of us mate?

I doubt that it is slang, his reference to the very common 'monkey face' jibe says, he just likes to play the 'Im more Thai than you' card.

We'll see?

I doubt that it is slang, his reference to the very common 'monkey face' jibe says, he just likes to play the 'Im more Thai than you' card.

We'll see?

If you think "dark ling" means monkey face, I have no doubt at all I have more Thai language skills than you. OTOH I haven't seen your face.

We'll see?

Actually, I do believe its "Monkey Bum/Anus" not Monkey face.

We'll see?

If you think "dark ling" means monkey face, I have no doubt at all I have more Thai language skills than you. OTOH I haven't seen your face.

Easy tiger, you don't want to get any offensive posts removed. The moderators are in a very grumpy mood today..

"According to Thitiwat, the masked motorcyclist accused him of almost crashing into his bike and then asked how much Thitiwat was willing to pay had he actually crashed into him."

Thainess defined. You frightened me . . . now give me money. Always trying to get a quick baht for no work.

Thai logic in a nutshell!

There is nothing secret about it as it is common usage if offensive. Next time your g/f calls you "dark ling" ask someone what it means.

Better than a 'Doo Dahk Ling'