Help me fix my clothing/style

Hal65

Like most guys I dress like the guy on the left. I want to dress more like the guy on the right:

instant-man_casual.jpg

instant-man_dress.jpg

1. Can anyone recommend a good Tailor? I'm on 2nd road next to Central Festival.

2. I'm also looking for a good place to buy new clothing. My trouble is that I'm a bit on the tall side with a skinny/medium build. 188 cm, 72 kg.

3. I'm not looking to do this now but I do plan on hiring a person with good fashion sense, preferably a girl or gay guy. So any recommendations for that are also appreciated.

You understand what "dressing on the left/right" actually means.....?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I 'dress' to the right; sometimes it peeps below my trousers, & drags on the floor.

I get odd looks when this happens.

Can anyone tell me why?

Yours,

Long & confused.

thumbsup.gif

I don't think you have to worry too much about how to dress in Pattaya. But if you live in Bangkok and want to get into the "urban scene" and meet all the hi-so girls I can understand your situation better.

I believe the larger Topman stores in Bangkok have a personal stylist service, not sure of the details because I have never felt the need to engage one myself.

Thanks for the tip on Topman,I see there is a place in Central Festival. I'll check them out and see if they can guide me.

Anyone know where to find a good Tailor? I don't speak Thai.

Edited by Hal65

I went by the Topman in Central Festival today. The mannequins seem to be dressed in good styles, but if you asked me to pick up clothes off the racks and put them together in a sharp way, I'd be lost.

article-2535225-1A7442B400000578-973_634

Anyone know where I can hire a fashion consultant in Thailand? I might be willing to go to Bangkok for this, although I'd prefer to stay local if possible.

Edited by Hal65

What a strange post. A fashion consultant? Well surely there will be a plethora of people who will take your money, look in a magazine, and copy that. Does the OP want to look like a fashionable Thai? If so, a Thai will help to do that. Does he want to look like a fashionable farang? If so, a Thai will help him look like a fashionable Thai. Does he want to be forever going into shops buying the latest fashions that last just as long as it takes to swipe his card, and then he is unfashionable again? Does he know that style and fashion are two different things, and if he went for a stylish look rather than high fashion, he will always look better than some farang wearing a askew baseball hat, capri pants, an uncomfortably tight shirt made of polycotton, and a pair of shoes that fall apart the moment that he walks in a puddle?

As for tailors, well they all take your stuff behind tukcom and get it made there in there by people who only know how to make one style .... badly.

So here is a potential solution - if you want to look fashionable, head up to Bangkok and go to Em Quartier and Emporium and hit shops like Ted Baker. The other place has just been bombed so no point going there for a few weeks. Blow a bundle in there on well made stylish clothes which are "fashionable" as well. Or, go to Pratunam and buy the Thai Style high fashion for 200 baht a pop (expiry date 2 uses).

One could wonder why the desire for public acceptance that drives you to change your appearance so much by handing money to a stranger who will take it, cut a deal with the shop to make you spend more money there (pocketing the commission), and having you all dolled up like a K-Pop transgender star. Perhaps the pertinent question is Who are you trying to impress? Anyone in particular (in which case ask them along)? A genre of targets (in which case if they will not accept you for who you are, then what is the point)? Yourself?

Dear Hal65,

Judging by the answers you are getting, I really think you are posting on the wrong forum, I am sure you will find many helpful tips from a good clothing store, maybe a friend as well, but that would most certainly not apply here.

Another source of info I would point you towards are the style forums on the net: www.styleforum.net

The problem with going to a lot of these local "tailors", is that you end up looking like a 70s Bollywood hero. Double buttons and a two tone contrast collar in bright polyester purple? no problem. And in all honesty, unless you really know what you want, even when going to one of the few real tailors in BKK, you'll end with Thai fashion (which is what it is. But if you're looking for classic style, local fittings will not leave you happy).

And I'm modifying my post to add this tidbit, Unless you have the physique of the guy on the right (with the shoulder to waist ratio of a pro-surfer that easily does sets of 12 pull-ups when at the gym), no slim fitting t-shirt is going to make you look like the guy on the left. Be happy to keep your shirt un-tucked like the rest of us chubby wnakers. wink.png

Edited by DirtyDan

One could wonder why the desire for public acceptance that drives you to change your appearance so much by handing money to a stranger who will take it, cut a deal with the shop to make you spend more money there (pocketing the commission), and having you all dolled up like a K-Pop transgender star. Perhaps the pertinent question is Who are you trying to impress? Anyone in particular (in which case ask them along)? A genre of targets (in which case if they will not accept you for who you are, then what is the point)? Yourself?

You seem to have a real ax to grind with this topic. Improving one's style's is the good thing, so long as it doesn't become an obsession. Of course that applies to everything in life.

As someone who employs and manages a small group, your thoughts on hiring outside help are rather jaded. There is such a thing as qualification/screening.

And I'm modifying my post to add this tidbit, Unless you have the physique of the guy on the right (with the shoulder to waist ratio of a pro-surfer that easily does sets of 12 pull-ups when at the gym), no slim fitting t-shirt is going to make you look like the guy on the left. Be happy to keep your shirt un-tucked like the rest of us chubby wnakers.

I do work out although not to the extent of that guy.But I do think the general point about fit holds for any guy with a reasonable frame. based on the articles linked in this thread, it seems this is actually the main point to focus on.

Edited by Hal65

Paying attention to your hair style and going to a gym to get more toned/firm makes a difference is part of how one looks along with wearing the correct fitted clothing. --But I have to agree with many of the comments, in Pattaya you could look like an alien from Mars and find some chick as long as you have a good looking wallet.

From the pictures you posted... what you really need are just clothes that fit you properly.

The ones on the right are all slim fitted and the pants are not bag (have a low rise through the crotch area). Take these exact pictures into the shop with you and don't leave until you're satisfied you're dressed the same way.

Note - this may not work with some of the Bangkok tailors (as I learned years ago) as you will still end up with whatever they think is fashionable...

I know there's a guy that makes custom denim in Bangkok (you can Google it), I'm sure you could get proper pants form him.

Paying attention to your hair style and going to a gym to get more toned/firm makes a difference is part of how one looks along with wearing the correct fitted clothing. --But I have to agree with many of the comments, in Pattaya you could look like an alien from Mars and find some chick as long as you have a good looking wallet.

So the only reason to manage one's appearance is to get chicks? And money determines everything?

Sorry I think this attitude is one dimensional

I take it your a grown man, so asking how to dress yourself appears a little pathetic.

Just look in the mirror, if it looks good wear it. You don't need a gay man to tell you the same or a woman.

Mummy syndrome is rampant. Men need to be men.

Nothing wrong with trying to look your best. Don't listen to these slobs on TV as most have huge beer guts and man boobs and think a clean pair of shorts is dressing up.

My advise, go out shopping for some new cloths off the rack. Bring a friend who will be honest and ask him or her for advise on what fits you well and styles that suit you. Look in many stores and only buy what you really like. Don't go too dressy. Get cloths that fit and are comfortable and most important something you also like and will wear. In addition to your clothing cut you hair, shave or style your facial hair, make sure your teeth look great, get some nice shoes, watch, glasses, sunglasses, belt, wallet, Etc etc ..... Then workout a few days a week, eat well to gain a little weight and get some sun. Basically clean up your entire look from head to toe and inside and out.

You will feel good, look good and be a new man waiting for a new adventure.

For what it's worth :)