New reform plan for Thai police to be considered

webfact

New reform plan for police to be considered
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE POLICE force could be facing big changes as the Cabinet will soon consider a detailed reform plan, which includes a provision allowing police to choose their own leader and splitting duties with other agencies such as local administrative bodies.

The detailed reform plan, formulated by a 17-member committee chaired by the former vice president of the Supreme Administrative Court, Teerayut Lorlertrat, won the National Reform Council's nod on Tuesday and will now be forwarded to the Cabinet. NRC members voted 125-28 for the plan, with 31 abstentions.

The plan reportedly aims to resolve the issue of interference in police operations, which the council claims affects the organisation's administration and does not allow the national police chief to remain independent of political influence.

The key changes proposed include:

The 16-member police commission will aim to remain independent and free of political influence. The commission will also be the only agency to have the authority to nominate and appoint the national police chief from three candidates holding the rank of police general and working in the post of deputy police commissioner, inspector-general or equivalent.

Police officers holding the rank of police colonel and above will vote for the best candidate, and the name of the candidate who wins the most votes will be forwarded to the prime minister, who will then ask for royal endorsement.

Apart from allowing subordinates to participate in the choice of their boss, the NRC says, this system would also ensure that the person eligible for the top job has made achievements and behaved well from the beginning - not someone who would serve politicians.

The Office of the National Police Policy Board would consist of 11 members representing various sectors, including the political, justice and people's sectors. The board would have the specific duty of setting up operational policies, but would not have the authority to appoint the national chief.

Police transfers would take into consideration seniority and capability.

Operations that are not directly police responsibility would be handed to other agencies. For instance, traffic and road safety would be passed on to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration or local administrative bodies, while immigration would be put under the jurisdiction of the Interior, Justice or Foreign ministry.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/New-reform-plan-for-police-to-be-considered-30266468.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-13

Completely useless proposal. This is not a reform, but almost a step back. The police needs someone from the OUTSIDE to take over and clean up. The Thai police is not a regular police force, but a part time mafia. A paradigm shift is needed. The coup has still not been justified, since no real reforms of any significance has been implemented.

IMHO preventing corrupt politicians from appointing their relative or favourite lackey as police chief is a major step forward. Government politicians could even be arrested and prosecuted while they are committing their crimes rather than waiting for the next coup, removing the need for a coup.

IMHO preventing corrupt politicians from appointing their relative or favourite lackey as police chief is a major step forward. Government politicians could even be arrested and prosecuted while they are committing their crimes rather than waiting for the next coup, removing the need for a coup.

That is good indeed but more needs to be done.. but at least this is a way to free them of political influence.. but I wonder if its enough. Still better as nothing.

Lets see. Is police reform needed here? Is allowing the police to choose their own leader considered to be reform?

How about:

Forcing the police to sell all of their interest in the jet ski scams in Pattaya, Samui, and Phuket.

Forcing the police to commit to traffic safety. This includes punishing people for reckless driving, not allowing children to drive motorbikes, enforcing the helmet law on Samui, and handing out large fines for excessive speeding, tailgating, and other dangerous driving activities.

Training them in the forensic sciences. Equipping them with the proper world class equipment and labs.

Giving the police sufficient salaries, so they do not have to fleece the public to make a living.

I could go on for days, and days. Where to start to reform the Thai police?

"IMHO preventing corrupt politicians from appointing their relative or favourite lackey as police chief is a major step forward."

but what makes you think that has anything to do with the OP? - Far more likely to be the opposite as the police are traditionally the opposition to the army.

"IMHO preventing corrupt politicians from appointing their relative or favourite lackey as police chief is a major step forward."

but what makes you think that has anything to do with the OP? - Far more likely to be the opposite as the police are traditionally the opposition to the army.

If you can't comprehend what the OP was about, I really can't help you.

"IMHO preventing corrupt politicians from appointing their relative or favourite lackey as police chief is a major step forward".

How about appointing relatives as army chief. If that happens will you call Uncle Too on it?

"Government politicians could even be arrested and prosecuted while they are committing their crimes rather than waiting for the next coup, removing the need for a coup."

So you're OK with the always honest, unselfish and incorruptible army chiefs stepping in and "rescue" the country every time they feel the need??

Don't forget to iron your brown shirt...bah.gif

If you can't comprehend what the OP was about, I really can't help you.

I think it's fairly clear to most of us - nay, a majority of us - that the one with the comprehension problem is the one that was raised on BS.

I think it's fairly clear to most of us - nay, a majority of us - that the one with the comprehension problem is the one that was raised on BS.

I'll explain it you because I know you need help. The NRC is involved in political reform, which is what this is. It is reform to prevent corrupt politicians from inserting their cronies into control of the police force, so that it can be used as a blunt weapon to bludgeon the opposition, and so that their own crimes go un-investigated.

It is not reform of the RTP, it is reform of who controls the RTP.

I'll explain it you because I know you need help. The NRC is involved in political reform, which is what this is. It is reform to prevent corrupt politicians from inserting their cronies into control of the police force, so that it can be used as a blunt weapon to bludgeon the opposition, and so that their own crimes go un-investigated.

Yes, that sounds like a great leap forward. Give the RTP a free hand to basically do what they want without civilian oversight. Real progress at last!

This minor thing about corruption in the RTP is just a nuisance anyway - not really worthy of attention.

And the much needed actual reform of the RTP? Will that follow? Will new operational procedures and organization happen?

More chance of it happening if control is rested away from the politicians seems likely.

And the much needed actual reform of the RTP? Will that follow? Will new operational procedures and organization happen?

More chance of it happening if control is rested away from the politicians seems likely.

And into who's hands - the RTP themselves. Do you honestly believe that this will help the endemic levels of corruption?

"IMHO preventing corrupt politicians from appointing their relative or favourite lackey as police chief is a major step forward".

How about appointing relatives as army chief. If that happens will you call Uncle Too on it?

"Government politicians could even be arrested and prosecuted while they are committing their crimes rather than waiting for the next coup, removing the need for a coup."

So you're OK with the always honest, unselfish and incorruptible army chiefs stepping in and "rescue" the country every time they feel the need??

Don't forget to iron your brown shirt...bah.gif

This post is about the police.

Why do you want to divert it to a discussion about the army?

So, are you o k with a corrupt politician ignoring normal protocol and promoting a relative to the top job above others more qualified? Or a politician appointing a relative or lackey to the top job as he/she wishes? Or a senior policeman flying overseas and being pictured having his new promotional insignia being pinned on by a criminal fugitive? Or the police instructed on when, which and how to enforce laws by politicians? Or having a police force that is reputedly one of the most corrupt, ineffective and inefficient in the world?

Don't forget to iron your red shirt. (Irony).

Edited by Baerboxer

And into who's hands - the RTP themselves. Do you honestly believe that this will help the endemic levels of corruption?

No,

Sorry, my crystal ball is out of action. If you accept that the reform path is starting from the very top, it has already started. I don't even know if there is RTP Internal Affairs section existing but setting one up seems a good start. And the officer Tarit tried to demote might make a good head.

Currently the police fall under the direct control of the Junta. So it is the Junta that directs the "reform" of the police. And among the Junta's first orders was to transfer to an inactive station any police associated with the PTP. That's not reform but political assassination. That fairly well sums up the entire NCPO reform agenda.

Currently the police fall under the direct control of the Junta. So it is the Junta that directs the "reform" of the police. And among the Junta's first orders was to transfer to an inactive station any police associated with the PTP. That's not reform but political assassination. That fairly well sums up the entire NCPO reform agenda.

And hasn't it had an amazing effect. Suddenly, all sorts of crimes have been uncovered, previously unsolvable crimes have been cleared, political untouchables charged, even corrupt police sentenced. It's like when you wash the scum out of your pool filter and start cleaning up the cesspool again.

Edited by halloween