Basin Wrench

Crossy

After a fraught afternoon replacing the tap on Wifey's sink (needed the angle-grinder to remove the old one) I find myself in need of a basin-wrench, something like the illustration.

post-14979-0-66714400-1440998967_thumb.j

Anyone seen either of these styles in Thailand? Where? Our local hardware store gave me the usual <deleted> look and the chap in HomePro found me a pair of regular water-pump pliers which won't go into the space.

Any clues welcome.

Good luck - I had to bring back bottom style from US after a trip and a worker seemed to have taken a liking to it as have not seen for years. Also many sinks sold here will not have enough room to even use them. Have found hand hold of nut until about 45 deg from where you want it and then tighten using spigot as lever - exact position to start will vary so may take a few tighten/loosen tries.

You did not personally find it and take to cashier. DIY means find it yourself also.

In fairness actually have had some that knew there stock and were helpful at my local store.

Edited by lopburi3

http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/directtoshop/shino-basin-wrench-p281276

HomePro indeed says they have - just be sure you have room to use.

Exactly.

I have one I brought over from the UK, but when I needed it, not enough room, they must have fitted the taps before installing the wash hand basin. I hammered a piece of wood up between the nut and the concrete and turned the tap.

Thai plumbing at its best.

http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/directtoshop/shino-basin-wrench-p281276

HomePro indeed says they have - just be sure you have room to use.

Brill, 179 Baht and in-stock at our local HomePro smile.png

I wonder why they thought I was crazy?

I got the old mia mii treatment so often in situations where I KNEW it wasn't true that i stopped believing it. My practice now is to always ask at least three different people in different aisles of the store before accepting mai mii. I very often score using this method.

It isn't only the Thais, I used to get the same treatment from lazy clerks at Home Depot who did not want to get off their duffs to look. But it does happen a lot more here. I think they just don't want to struggle with my broken thai and try to write me off.

I've shopped a bit for Stanley Tools in Thailand and the best price I found for a genuine Stanley Basin Spanner Wrench that is Made in the USA was the Stanley 87 - 448 readily available in stock at the Buriram Builders Merchants. I had priced the exact same basin wrench spanner at KTW on line and Kennedy Tools on line. The lowest price was at the family owned Buriram hardware store. I have to believe that other independent stores in other provinces in Thailand would also stock or special order such an important hand tool item that would never go out of date and could sell it for less than a higher overhead chain store. Same store I bought my Stanley wood plane for way less than the internet sites.

post-20604-0-65440200-1441721055_thumb.j

post-20604-0-54179100-1441721449_thumb.j

Crossy....believe it or not, a small oil filter removal tool will fit any size and tighten any tap down firmly enough...use the strap type though.

i know you already have solved the problem, but I though this may be of interest to someone in the sticks who is stuck for the right tool.

I use a home made wrench made from PVC pipe. It works great on the nuts that have "wings" on the like most do, but not on the brass ones with just the hex head. The bottom handle is not glued so it can be removed in tight spaces.

post-77463-0-80601300-1441871031_thumb.j

I use a home made wrench made from PVC pipe. It works great on the nuts that have "wings" on the like most do, but not on the brass ones with just the hex head. The bottom handle is not glued so it can be removed in tight spaces.

attachicon.gifDSC01071.JPG

Great idea, wish I had thought of that when I struggled with mine.