New law when driving without license ?

hawkeye76

So, can you Drive a car?

I would hope that Thai Police would chuck anyone dumb and/or arrogant enough, to drive without a valid MDL into a Thai Jail.

I for one, do NOT want to be on the same road as some imbecile, who ignores the Laws of the Land and by so doing has no Insurance.

Let alone, in all probability has no idea of how to drive.

you obviously dont use any thai roads then. they are full of imbiciles, as i witnessed today. 4 cars trying to bully their way side by side in 2 lanes on the 331. a total <deleted> in a shitter merc trying to force people out of HIS way by driving up the left and right side of them until they gave up and pulled over on the 304. another <deleted> racing up behind cars on the inside lane and then panic braking because he couldnt judge the distance of traffic in front of him, thais with no idea how to drive........of course not.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People with your attitude should never be allowed near a motorised vehicle. You are a danger to everyone on the road.

Allow me to give you a ride some day....Im as sober as a judge when I ride...since when does possessing a piece of paper make one a better driver....I know all the road signs....and I know never to speed....man needs brain to drive not paper....anyway you will be pleased to know that if the fine has been raised to 2K baht then I will probably think twice before getting behind the handlebars.

Yeah, but that paper proves you have the proven mental capacity to drive.

No paper.....no brain!

Why bother with a tax disc, Insurance, a Visa or extension, they're all just pieces of paper.

I am under 50 and on a tourist visa and have a Thai car and motorbike license.

You need to get a certificate of residence from an immigration office.

The only restriction is I have to renew my licenses every year, I cannot get a 5 year Thai license on a tourist visa but a morning at the Land transport office once a year is a small price to pay to drive legally here IMO.

I just renewed mine and got 2 yr one, they give you a one yr one but if you want more yrs on it you pay 100 baht per added year. The only thing I had when I first applied was a yellow house book, no visa. The yellow house book showed your resident address.

Why not just use an international driving license issued by your home country?

May I humbly suggest you read the original post before replying? The OP clearly stated he has no license in his home country, so how should he get a international driving permit there? While we are at it, there is no such thing as a "international driving license"...

What nonsense, of course there are international driving licences. They are valid worldwide for one year except in the countries in which they are issued. They can be obtained easily in most countries including Thailand. At the Mor Chit traffic department in the UK they are issued by the AA and the RAC.

If the poster has no licence in his home country then he has no right to drive anywhere in any country

The nonsense is in your post. Apart from the last sentence which is true.

There is no such thing, and never has been such a thing, as a legal international driving licences if you have such a thing it is a fake. Neither the AA nor the RAC issue fakes.

What you are talking about is an International Driving Permit which must be accompanied by a national licence. By itself it doesn't give permission but with the national licence it does, many police forces do not bother to ask for the national licence. Usually they are issued for 1 year but France, for one, issues them for Three years.

If you have got one then read the front cover.

May I humbly suggest you read the original post before replying? The OP clearly stated he has no license in his home country, so how should he get a international driving permit there? While we are at it, there is no such thing as a "international driving license"...

What nonsense, of course there are international driving licences. They are valid worldwide for one year except in the countries in which they are issued. They can be obtained easily in most countries including Thailand. At the Mor Chit traffic department in the UK they are issued by the AA and the RAC.

If the poster has no licence in his home country then he has no right to drive anywhere in any country

There is no such thing, and never has been such a thing, as a legal international driving licences if you have such a thing it is a fake. Neither the AA nor the RAC issue fakes.

What you are talking about is an International Driving Permit which must be accompanied by a national licence. By itself it doesn't give permission but with the national licence it does, many police forces do not bother to ask for the national licence. Usually they are issued for 1 year but France, for one, issues them for Three years.

Tomayto, tomarto. If you say you have an international drivers licence, who is going to correct you and say you have a permit? Rightly or wrongly, I've never heard of it referred to as anything other than an International Drivers Licence.

Admission of guilt. If you drive without a license you need locking up for everyones safety. No sympathy at all

I dont have a licence....and i drive a 150 cc motocy better than 99% of people in LOS....its not rocket science.

I drive slow and never drive when drinking.

Back home i dont drive at all.

Then you are a bit of a txxx,agree?

Yes I am but I follow my own logic and not the crowd. (and am willing to take the heat for that)

I have noticed 12-15 year old thai kids driving motorbikes in the provinces and small islands like Samui....I dont think they hjave licenses but they drive pretty ok from what I see.

If they can do it, so can I....thailand is not like usa.europe where you really can become a threat to yourself and others if you dont know what you are doing on the high speed highways....puttering along a small dirt road in samui phuket or pattaya is harmless unless you are speeding or drunk, neither of which I condone.

Of course, in a metro like Bangkok, I would never drive without a license.

Cheers

You may be a safe rider, you may be better than most other people, but you are not a legal rider.

You have no insurance (no licence means any insurance is void) and may not be able to get any compensation if a bad driver hits you and you are injured. Or worse still if you are involved in an accident where the others are injured you will probably be blamed, and liable, for all medical expenses. Not 2,000 baht but hundreds of thousands or millions of baht.

If you are such a good driver just take the Thai test and get legal.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Tomayto, tomarto. If you say you have an international drivers licence, who is going to correct you and say you have a permit? Rightly or wrongly, I've never heard of it referred to as anything other than an International Drivers Licence.

Wrongly as the can't be bothered to read or pay attention to what they have. Or if the have an IDL it's a worthless piece of paper or plastic.

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/how-do-i-get-an-idp

Is an IDP the same as an International Driving Licence (IDL)?

No. An International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document and will not enable you to meet national requirements to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP).

https://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html#international-driving-licence

There are people on the net selling what they claim to be, and what is stated on it as, an international driving licence.

This is a valid IDP

post-44962-0-69556900-1441248683_thumb.j

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I am under 50 and on a tourist visa and have a Thai car and motorbike license.

You need to get a certificate of residence from an immigration office.

The only restriction is I have to renew my licenses every year, I cannot get a 5 year Thai license on a tourist visa but a morning at the Land transport office once a year is a small price to pay to drive legally here IMO.

I just renewed mine and got 2 yr one, they give you a one yr one but if you want more yrs on it you pay 100 baht per added year. The only thing I had when I first applied was a yellow house book, no visa. The yellow house book showed your resident address.

One year licenses are not being issues any more.

I dont have a licence....and i drive a 150 cc motocy better than 99% of people in LOS....its not rocket science.

I drive slow and never drive when drinking.

Back home i dont drive at all.

Then you are a bit of a txxx,agree?

Yes I am but I follow my own logic and not the crowd. (and am willing to take the heat for that)

I have noticed 12-15 year old thai kids driving motorbikes in the provinces and small islands like Samui....I dont think they hjave licenses but they drive pretty ok from what I see.

If they can do it, so can I....thailand is not like usa.europe where you really can become a threat to yourself and others if you dont know what you are doing on the high speed highways....puttering along a small dirt road in samui phuket or pattaya is harmless unless you are speeding or drunk, neither of which I condone.

Cheers

You may be a safe rider, you may be better than most other people, but you are not a legal rider.

You have no insurance (no licence means any insurance is void) and may not be able to get any compensation if a bad driver hits you and you are injured. Or worse still if you are involved in an accident where the others are injured you will probably be blamed, and liable, for all medical expenses. Not 2,000 baht but hundreds of thousands or millions of baht.

First case: other driver is responsible, not having a DL will not have any effect.

Second case: no correlation between not having a DL and being at fault.

Look up the rules on that mate, they are only valid for driving in Thailand for 3 months, even if it is issued for 1 year, so you would be breaking the law after that period. also, your insurance would be invalid, if they find out you were driving illegally.

Cheers

First case: other driver is responsible, not having a DL will not have any effect.

Good luck with that, and convincing the RTP

You may get the police to believe you, but being a foreign, illegal, uninsured driver you are already three strikes down.

And in both cases the reasoning goes "if you were not there the accident wouldn't have happened" so at fault.

Don't forget TIT so a different set of rules , and logic, applies.

Cheers

Good luck with that, and convincing the RTP

You may get the police to believe you, but being a foreign, illegal, uninsured driver you are already three strikes down.

And in both cases the reasoning goes "if you were not there the accident wouldn't have happened" so at fault.

Don't forget TIT so a different set of rules , and logic, applies.

That is only ever claimed here on TV, and maybe other fora, but not in real life.

You need to either get a licence in your country and then apply for a international Drivers Permit, or get yourself a licence here when you arrive. International Drivers Permits can only be use for 60 days on a tourist visa or 90 days on a Non Immigrant visa. Since you say you are on a tourist visa, you can get a Thai licence for 1 year (some say it's now 2 years, so it may have changed).

Remember this…. no licence will mean you are responsible for any and every accident you are involved in, whether your fault or not. If you injure or kill someone, your life will be hell. If you have an accident and you injure or kill my partner or child, you will hope like hell I don't find you, you will be paying for the rest of your life thumbsup.gif Just saying, as I'm sure a lot of others on here would feel the same. In all honesty, go get your licence, 1 day and about 800 baht for both car and motorbike.

One more time, IDP's are not legally valid in Thailand.

Really? Thailand has signed "Geneva Convention on Road Traffic", Geneva 13 September 1949, so this rules all questions about International Driving Permits.

You need to either get a licence in your country and then apply for a international Drivers Permit, or get yourself a licence here when you arrive. International Drivers Permits can only be use for 60 days on a tourist visa or 90 days on a Non Immigrant visa. Since you say you are on a tourist visa, you can get a Thai licence for 1 year (some say it's now 2 years, so it may have changed).

Remember this…. no licence will mean you are responsible for any and every accident you are involved in, whether your fault or not. If you injure or kill someone, your life will be hell. If you have an accident and you injure or kill my partner or child, you will hope like hell I don't find you, you will be paying for the rest of your life thumbsup.gif Just saying, as I'm sure a lot of others on here would feel the same. In all honesty, go get your licence, 1 day and about 800 baht for both car and motorbike.

Really? Thailand has signed "Geneva Convention on Road Traffic", Geneva 13 September 1949, so this rules all questions about International Driving Permits.

Read the thread to see where the issue was clarified!

Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand

Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long, and when, where and how to get a Thai licence issued for use in Thailand...

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

• For information about treaties recognised by the Department of Land Transport: Click here (in Thai)

[The definition of the International version of a driver license which can be issued in the drivers home country is not a license but an internation permit to drive in countries where it is accepted and is to be presented with the drivers actuhome country license . Recognition of both is variable in my experience. I have even been challenged because the international permit does not contain a Thai translation. I successfully have argued on the basis of "International".

So much talk..so to get back on topic.is the 2,000bht fine for no license driving a reality or not?

Personally do not know. Only time Ihave had to pay for not having my licence with me it cost me 200 bht and the reciept was valid for 7 days in excuse of same offence. Same fee/ fine applied to Thai around my area. maybe the 2000 is a farang stinger?

If it is not mentioned in the latest available conditions for obtaining a Thai license or driving using a combined International Driving permit then I suspect it is.

And a a by the way.... I have challenged the advertisments appearing here in TVF offering International Driving "Licences". On questioning they admit are permits and not Licences despite the description !

Remember this. no licence will mean you are responsible for any and every accident you are involved in, whether your fault or not. If you injure or kill someone, your life will be hell. If you have an accident and you injure or kill my partner or child, you will hope like hell I don't find you, you will be paying for the rest of your life thumbsup.gif Just saying, as I'm sure a lot of others on here would feel the same. In all honesty, go get your licence, 1 day and about 800 baht for both car and motorbike.

If you have a 1949 convention IDP like I have it is indeed legally valid in Thailand since they ratified it in 1962. In the UK when applying for an IDP you get to choose which convention you want 1949 or 1968. The sensible person checks which one is valid for the country in which you wish to drive. Edited by Linnets1961

Your gf is correct as far as I am aware. I havent had the pleasure of being nicked when in LOS but I was told that the fine and/or monkey house time was as you describe. I was told at the same time that the police were mainly concentrating on East Pattaya and mainly chasing 'farang'.

I passed my test this year on a TR visa and received a 2 year license

Never heard of a 2 year license!!!

Me neither. I drive a lot and before I got my provisional license and then my 5 year license, I carried my International driving permit plus license from home with me. Difficult to drive as I do and not get stopped at least once a month, I am not not Pattaya based. The police generally went cross eyed when I showed them my IDP which is merely a translation (not into Thai) of your license. Basically you need a certificate of residence to get a license, easy peasy and great fun.
A temporary license is valid for two years.

you obviously dont use any thai roads then. they are full of imbiciles, as i witnessed today. 4 cars trying to bully their way side by side in 2 lanes on the 331. a total <deleted> in a shitter merc trying to force people out of HIS way by driving up the left and right side of them until they gave up and pulled over on the 304. another <deleted> racing up behind cars on the inside lane and then panic braking because he couldnt judge the distance of traffic in front of him, thais with no idea how to drive........of course not.

Substitute different road names, and you could be talking about the idiot drivers in any country of the world. They all have 'em. Except maybe North Korea.

Substitute different road names, and you could be talking about the idiot drivers in any country of the world. They all have 'em. Except maybe North Korea.

Only because unless your one of the elites in NK you dont have a car LOL

As a farang without a license from my own country, coming to Thailand on a tourist visa (not married and i do not study in Thailand),

i can not apply for a license in Thailand.

You need a student visa, a pension visa, or some kind of non-o visa. If you are below 50 years old its impossible.

But if we can get back to the topic now, the question was if anyone hear about the new law/rules regarding the law ?

One moment,just thinking, you do not have a driving license,and you want to come over here and drive? Sorry mate not many expats will want to share the rod with you. we have more than our fair quoter of non licensed drivers.

Why do you all ( from the EU think you can break the law here??

Because it's Thailand and nobody cares. The Thais have not introduced stricter penalties for driving without a license. It's all theory - if you get stopped the usual 100 Baht backhander is going to continue. I can't see the Thai authorities fixing the massive problem of bad driving and breaking of road rules without a complete shift in attitude. I mean they can't even get scooters to drive on the correct side of the road. Speed limit signs are virtually non-existant as are speed cameras. The roads are one place where you can do whatever you want and no matter how many deaths there are on the roads here the authorities don't care and won't change a thing.

Having said that you'll want to have a license for insurance purposes and to rent a car, without one you won't be able to rent.

Hasn't it always been against the law to drive a vehicle without a proper licence in any country (except when cars first came into existence)? It's not a case of tightening up...it's a black and white matter, no grey area.

Sure it may be the law but since the OP knows Thailand and it's lasse faire attitude towards road rules he probably knows very well that driving without a license is no big deal here. Half the drivers here don't hold licences so why should a foreigner? At the end of the day the chance of a policeman stopping a car driven by a "farang" is unlikely to happen unless they happen to look like they can speak Thai or a Thai wife/gf is present and even then not having a license will merely result in a minor "negotiable" fine.

Look up the rules on that mate, they are only valid for driving in Thailand for 3 months, even if it is issued for 1 year, so you would be breaking the law after that period. also, your insurance would be invalid, if they find out you were driving illegally.

Like anyone would know the fine print. How would someone determine how long a foreigner has been in Thailand? Everything is skin deep here once they see a foreigner they'll be like ok he has a valid international driving permit - check off you go then.

Remember where you are this is Thailand not Australia or the USA.

It's the same thing with tax refunds at the airport. In theory resident foreigners aren't eligible nor is anyone who has spent more than 180 days in the country. But do they check that? Nooo...a foreigner in Thailand is always a tourist even if they live and work here and so just showing your foreign passport validates that in the minds of the tax refund people - once they sight your foreign passport your tax refund will be processed.

So much talk..so to get back on topic.is the 2,000bht fine for no license driving a reality or not?

In theory maybe. But what are you worried about? That's the fine in the unlikely event you were convicted in a court of law but seriously I don't want to start rolling on the floor laughing. Traffic court in Thailand? Doesn't exist my friend.

So the only judge is that policeman who stopped you. If you paid him 2000 baht you'd be one big dumbass. 100-200 is the standard amount for this "offence".

Like anyone would know the fine print. How would someone determine how long a foreigner has been in Thailand? Everything is skin deep here once they see a foreigner they'll be like ok he has a valid international driving permit - check off you go then.

It's the same thing with tax refunds at the airport. In theory resident foreigners aren't eligible nor is anyone who has spent more than 180 days in the country. But do they check that? Nooo...a foreigner in Thailand is always a tourist even if they live and work here and so just showing your foreign passport validates that in the minds of the tax refund people - once they sight your foreign passport your tax refund will be processed.

Their passport may offer a clue!

Their passport may offer a clue!

Doesn't happen though and would be too complicated too invasive too racist to be practical. No cop is asked to undertake such a task it would take too long and would be incredibly impractical. If a cop ever stops you all they care about is that you show them a valid license. In some cases cops here are amazed when they see a foreigner carrying a Thai driver's license.