Beach walkway

thaibeachlovers

I stayed at Mae Pim, about 60 miles south of here last week. Great example of what is achieved by sensible development. Very nice beach, nice restaurants, accommodation fair. Fronted by a four lane road, but very quiet.

I think that the days of even caring about the beach in Pattaya are long gone

Same fate for Jomtien beach ? construction under way at the moment old trees removed maybe replaced with palms

looks "nice" ( as in new ) for a few months but after a couple of rainy seasons looks like a bomb site sad.png

IMHO, it looks butt ugly now! First, the design is stupid beyond imagination.

Second, and related to the first point, the walkway is flush with the beach, so sand is already blowing over the walkway. They could have done something like this:

post-110622-0-65973600-1441439620_thumb.

That would have prevented the sand from blowing over the walkway and provided nice places to sit (of course, you need shade in Thailand, so cutting down the old-growth shade trees was insane, to say the least).

Third, the walkway is already littered with oil spills and other such items.......already ugly in many places.

Fourth, that horrible "boat-like" abomination should go.

Fifth, the insane idiot who designed the steps set 50% of them below the sand level and they are being covered by sand as I speak. Relatedly, the steps are not for sitting--way too small for anybody over the height of a midget to sit on them comfortably. What in the world are they for? Are they so people can walk down them to the beach? Well, as I pointed out, the beach and the walkway are, in many places, flush with each other so there is no need to walk down to get to the beach.

FUBAR project!

FUBAR project!

^^^^^^ completely agree with that !!

I think they have made the steps deep into the sand because they know that when it ( rainy season ) rains the water will rush down there eroding the beach and undermining the walkway as we see every time in Pattaya bay....they know it will happen but only alter the design so that when it happens the trench will be deeper !!! whereas they should have designed to reduce erosion as much as possible keeping those old growth trees would have helped but it seems they where in someone's way and had to go.

post-2109-0-38483200-1438596777_thumb.jp

that horrible "boat-like" abomination

post-2109-0-82150400-1438596763_thumb.jp
Well at least it will provide somewhere to sit albeit in the blazing sun.

Sad thing is that they could have copied the lake walkway in Phayao, which is really nice.

When the horrible thing was being built there were a few supporters that thought it a great thing, especially as they can now speed down the road in their huge SUVs ( no doubt to compensate for their inadequacy ), and to hell with letting pedestrians cross the road- even more dangerous now. Of course the pedestrian crossing lights don't work- even the ones outside the police station. Someone in city hall should be prosecuted for that, but they won't be- it was obviously just another scam in scam city.

Marina- scam

Pedestrian lights- scam

walkway- scam

roads- a disgrace and a scam ( where has the maintenance budget gone? )

Jet skis- scam

Parking building at Bali Hi- scam

Pattaya used to be "fun city", now it's a disgraceful scam.

Someone in city hall should be prosecuted for that, but they won't be- it was obviously just another scam in scam city.

Marina- scam

Pedestrian lights- scam

walkway- scam

Jet skis- scam

Hmm. How are the traffic lights on Beach Rd a scam? They don't regulate traffic, true.. but they never have, not even during the 'golden era' 20 years ago that everybody seems to miss. And roads, how can roads be a scam? Terrible traffic, true, so don't drive here. It is very easy to live here without car.

I think you are making it much worse than it is. Pattaya is not so bad!

Someone in city hall should be prosecuted for that, but they won't be- it was obviously just another scam in scam city.

Marina- scam

Pedestrian lights- scam

walkway- scam

Jet skis- scam

Hmm. How are the traffic lights on Beach Rd a scam? They don't regulate traffic, true.. but they never have, not even during the 'golden era' 20 years ago that everybody seems to miss. And roads, how can roads be a scam? Terrible traffic, true, so don't drive here. It is very easy to live here without car.

I think you are making it much worse than it is. Pattaya is not so bad!

LOL, of course they used to work, and it was a lot less than 20 years ago they were put in. probably half the number of cars back then. The cars even stopped for pedestrians to cross. They are a scam, because city hall doesn't want to keep them working, and having to put cops on them like they used to to enforce pedestrian crossing rights.

The roads are a scam, because there is no policing of them, as there should be. The budget goes elsewhere.

Beach road was safer to cross when narrower, as the traffic moved more slowly.

If you think Pattaya is OK it's because you haven't been there very long. Of course, if you have no knowledge of it before it's probably OK.

I can remember when Pattaya didn't have Walking Street, and there was a pier beside the sewage station beside Walking street. A much more friendly age.

Back then, Soi Buakhao wasn't even on the mongers list of places to go, while now it's the main place.

BTW the third ago version of the beach walkway was the best. It was really nice.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

If you think Pattaya is OK it's because you haven't been there very long. Of course, if you have no knowledge of it before it's probably OK.

I can remember when Pattaya didn't have Walking Street, and there was a pier beside the sewage station beside Walking street. A much more friendly age.

12 years ago Pattaya was quieter, less tourists, less traffic. But I was 12 years younger then. Everything seems slightly worse now, not just Pattaya, clam chowder in a can used to be tastier. But it could be just me, I doubt everything really was so much better back then. Pattaya roads for example have always been terrible, but are you gonna move because pot holes? And move where? Where in SE Asia is it better than Pattaya?

Pattays is dead at the moment, very quiet, so the nostalgia trip to 1970s can be enjoyed right now, how much quieter do you want it?

Pattays is dead at the moment, very quiet, so the nostalgia trip to 1970s can be enjoyed right now, how much quieter do you want it?

I would like to have the Chinese gone, all they do is clutter the traffic with their touring busses and the local community doesn't benefit from them in any way.

Also I want the Russian families gone, can't even play around in a bar a bit as before you know it some family with kids is staring at you.

I mean really, if you go with your kids on holiday, would you pick Pattaya or would you go for Koh Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Samet or heck even Koh Larn or that island near Sri Racha?

Koh Samet is great for families and not much further from Bangkok for the lazy travellers, heck they could even go to Bang Saen and be much better of, you really want to expose your kids to 65+ heavily over weight foreigners walking hand in hand with a girl that could be their grand daughter?

You know, when I just came here and went further down Jomtien beach I always saw Thai kids swimming with their shirts on, after I came out of the sea all itching I assumed they wear shirts cause the water is so dirty, only later did I realize they do that to block the sun, my point, why would families pick Pattaya for a holiday? The water is dirty, all kind of trash in it, can't even see the bottom of the sea, while some of these islands still have beautiful waters and beaches, and everywhere you go in Pattaya there are ladybars. Pattaya would really be the last location on earth to go on holiday to with kids.

Edited by dennis123

I would like to have the Chinese gone, all they do is clutter the traffic with their touring busses and the local community doesn't benefit from them in any way.

Also I want the Russian families gone, can't even play around in a bar a bit as before you know it some family with kids is staring at you.

I mean really, if you go with your kids on holiday, would you pick Pattaya or would you go for Koh Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Samet or heck even Koh Larn or that island near Sri Racha?

Koh Samet is great for families and not much further from Bangkok for the lazy travellers, heck they could even go to Bang Saen and be much better of, you really want to expose your kids to 65+ heavily over weight foreigners walking hand in hand with a girl that could be their grand daughter?

Of course the kids with families are annoying, but what you gonna do, move because of Russian families? I don't think so! They are almost gone anyway, so really no need to worry.

True, Chinese mobs are occupying side walks, especially on 2nd Rd right outside old Mikes waiting for their silly bus, outside my second favorite massage place (and really good pharmacy) But I struggle and make my way through them with little bit of pushing and yelling Thai insults to these Chinese mob, locals always laugh and it's like a sport, form of martial art!

... why would families pick Pattaya for a holiday? The water is dirty, all kind of trash in it, can't even see the bottom of the sea, while some of these islands still have beautiful waters and beaches, and everywhere you go in Pattaya there are ladybars. Pattaya would really be the last location on earth to go on holiday to with kids.

I think they have kids, and they have no place to put them. Where would they keep them really? So they just drag them along, making life miserably for themselves and others. But it's really a minor issue on grand scheme of things.

... why would families pick Pattaya for a holiday? The water is dirty, all kind of trash in it, can't even see the bottom of the sea, while some of these islands still have beautiful waters and beaches, and everywhere you go in Pattaya there are ladybars. Pattaya would really be the last location on earth to go on holiday to with kids.

I think they have kids, and they have no place to put them. Where would they keep them really? So they just drag them along, making life miserably for themselves and others. But it's really a minor issue on grand scheme of things.

I ain't moving anywhere, it's not that annoying and indeed it has gotten a lot less already.

If the Russian families didn't pick Pattaya in the first place they wouldn't have to worry about where to put / keep them so the only logical thing I can come up with is that they are unaware that Pattaya is the most sleazy destination / sex tourist hotspot in whole south east Asia lol. Well known across all Europe.

Would you pick Pattaya if you had a wife and kids?

I know there are tons of locals that come here with their family in the weekends but they mostly go further down Jomtien beach, and I don't see them strolling down Jomtien complex or Pattaya beach road at night. Those silly Russians even walk down Walking Street at night with the whole family.

If the Russian families didn't pick Pattaya in the first place they wouldn't have to worry about where to put / keep them so the only logical thing I can come up with is that they are unaware that Pattaya is the most sleazy destination / sex tourist hotspot in whole south east Asia lol. Well known across all Europe.

Would you pick Pattaya if you had a wife and kids?

Yup, very likely they didn't have a clue when they bought their $400 two weeks package. So now those couples walk around angry and sun burnt.

There is another annoying thing about Russian couples. Quite often the guy is handsome, and looks easy prey. But no! The female would not leave his side, making it impossible to befriend the handsome Russian guy!

So it's really aggravating on many levels, they don't seem to enjoy Pattaya at all, while I have to look at the handsome Russian guy and his angry Russian chick walking by Starbucks on corner of Beach Rd/ Soi 13 knowing there is ZERO chance. Life is fundamentally unfair!

So when you hear locals complain about Russians, they don't know the half of it! But I'm still gonna be here every winter :)

The water in Jomtein beach doesn't have the blue color because of the silt. The bottom near the beach isn't sand which would better give the appearance of clear water. Instead it's a silt which gives the water a dirty brown appearance.

Anyone going to Pattaya to swim needs to get a brain! It's always been notorious for being filthy.

Jomptien is the place to swim.

Of course tourists on a package tour will not be warned of the risks.

The water in Jomtein beach doesn't have the blue color because of the silt. The bottom near the beach isn't sand which would better give the appearance of clear water. Instead it's a silt which gives the water a dirty brown appearance.

Ah ok, well the brown appearance caused by the silt combined with clearly visible trash in it doesn't make it very appealing.

With trash I mean millions of tiny pieces of plastic and other stuff that's riding the waves, add to that somewhat larger plastic bags, bottles, cans caused by people leaving their trash on the beach.

Just walk into the sea (even at Jomtien) and stand still for a while and have a good look what an enormous amount of micro trash you're surrounded with.

But yes you're definitely right about the silt, the same is the case in Bang Saray where I used to live for a while at a small house on the beach, there the water was also brownish, however with a lot less trash.

Now take a jetski or speedboat to the large island opposite of Bang Saray, not talking about monkey island but the larger one behind it, no one comes there, that water is so beautiful, it's amazing, you can look like 3 meters deep and still see the bottom, sometimes almost scary as when you're deeper it's like transparant dark, the deeper you look the darker it becomes.

There's also another island behind Koh Larn, really gives you the holiday feeling of a deserted island, if you find three speedboats there and a dozen or so people it's much, Chinese tourists and Russians hardly go there as it's too far (expensive). I love those deserted places.

-When people say Thailand is a so called developed country because of having fancy shopping centers, highways, and slick buildings-all one has to do is look at Pattaya (which is not a village) and see jpw Thailand is a 3rd developing country with its non-maintenance, lack of infrastructure in the city, garbage& litter everywhere, inadequate police force, corruption within the city... the list continues.

Ah ok, well the brown appearance caused by the silt combined with clearly visible trash in it doesn't make it very appealing.

With trash I mean millions of tiny pieces of plastic and other stuff that's riding the waves, add to that somewhat larger plastic bags, bottles, cans caused by people leaving their trash on the beach.

Just walk into the sea (even at Jomtien) and stand still for a while and have a good look what an enormous amount of micro trash you're surrounded with.

But yes you're definitely right about the silt, the same is the case in Bang Saray where I used to live for a while at a small house on the beach, there the water was also brownish, however with a lot less trash.

Now take a jetski or speedboat to the large island opposite of Bang Saray, not talking about monkey island but the larger one behind it, no one comes there, that water is so beautiful, it's amazing, you can look like 3 meters deep and still see the bottom, sometimes almost scary as when you're deeper it's like transparant dark, the deeper you look the darker it becomes.

There's also another island behind Koh Larn, really gives you the holiday feeling of a deserted island, if you find three speedboats there and a dozen or so people it's much, Chinese tourists and Russians hardly go there as it's too far (expensive). I love those deserted places.

Good recon thehelmsman : So you have been to Ko Kram off Bang Sarey ? How much was the boat from Bang Sarey to Ko Kram ?

And the island farther out from Ko Lan is Ko Phai ( bamboo) good work ! You do not have to travel 1000 km for beautiful islands.

Edited by morrobay

Good recon thehelmsman : So you have been to Ko Kram off Bang Sarey ? How much was the boat from Bang Sarey to Ko Kram ?

And the island farther out from Ko Lan is Ko Phai ( bamboo) good work ! You do not have to travel 1000 km for beautiful islands.

Dennis is my name, nice to meet you too :)

I don't think there's a boat from Bang Saray, I bought a second hand jetski and went on that. Also once went by jetski to Koh Larn, from Bang Saray, but that was a bit scary as on the way back the engine started to have problems, glad we made it to shore. Last time that the thing broke down again I declared it total loss as costs of repair exceeded the purchase price and I was real tired of the damn thing as it was the 4th time to the Seadoo repair center at Ocean Marine. Paid 260k baht for it btw. Now I want a quadski but those are expensive, 1,8mill, oh my so that will have to wait, if ever.

Ko Phai is great but quite expensive, we rented a speedboat which costed 9000 baht for a day, but I had friends visiting so it was worth it, took a few boxes of beer and a bbq and had a great day.

Something worth mentioning is that while they cut lots of the old shade trees down, they left many coconut palms that are now becoming dangerous as they have coconuts that will begin to fall. Get hit on the head by one of them and you won't be going home alive.

One of the new seats is even located directly below a coconut palm.

Be aware of what is above you when walking down the walkway. .

Something worth mentioning is that while they cut lots of the old shade trees down, they left many coconut palms that are now becoming dangerous as they have coconuts that will begin to fall. Get hit on the head by one of them and you won't be going home alive.

One of the new seats is even located directly below a coconut palm.

Be aware of what is above you when walking down the walkway. .

bit of a standing joke but maybe the hospital is sponsoring that seat