Apple products now cheap in Thailand!

bubba

I was considering buying a new MacBook Air and have a business trip coming up to USA and thought I might buy one there since America has usually had the cheapest prices for most Apple products.

The basic MacBook Air there costs US$999. That is not including sales tax which is added on in most US states. I will be going to Los Angeles, where the sales tax rate is 9%. That brings the total cost to about $1088.

To my surprise, I just checked the Thailand Apple Store online and found that the same MacBook Air costs 34,900 THB. Using a conversion of 35.5 THB/USD (and you may get better than that), that comes out to US$983, and there is no tax added to that. Presumably, you could knock another 7% VAT off of that if you are a tourist, but it in a shop here and you are eligible for the VAT refund. That brings it down to about $920 for the same MacBook Air that would cost you $1088 in Los Angeles.

I would imagine that Apple will soon be revising THB prices in Thailand due to the weak baht. Might be the time to buy now if you are in the market.

With a 20,000 yen coupon from Softbank and 24,000 for the trade in of my iPhone 5, I was able to buy an iPhone 6 plus 64 GB for $250. It's way better than the 5. Softbank phones can now be used for roaming in the USA and Hawaii for no extra charge. Roaming in Thailand may soon be possible making phones bought in Japan more versatile.

I'm starting to look. Did you compare with anywhere else? (HK, Sing., etc?)

Just had a look at the Singapore store. The price for the base model 13" in USD comes out to $933. Take another 7% off of that with the GST refund and you have $871...not bad at all. In USD terms and compared to the price in the UK, that price is US$432 cheaper than buying it in the UK.

Last time I was in Changi there was a shop there selling Macs at the GST-free price. That was about a year ago, and maybe someone can verify that they are still there and selling at that price.

HKG will be the same as the USA since the HKD is pegged to the USD, so there will be no advantage as is the case with the weakening Asian currencies.

Just checked the Apple Store Thailand site after it came back up following last night's announcements, and prices are still the same.

Bubba, thanks for mentioning this. When I first came here, the prices of iPhones were so high, I just have always assumed all Apple products were expensive here, compared to home.

I'm curious if you saw the Apple event video from last night? I've never owned an iPad, but the iPad Pro looks pretty interesting to me. Maybe because it seems like I do less "work" these days on my machine. Storage space for video and old photos etc. is very limited, that's at least one strike against it. Any chance you would consider the iPad Pro?

Just read an article yesterday regarding the Macbook Air going the way of the dinosaur. You may want to take a look at the new Macbook they have out now before you buy something that's not going to be around much longer. It's faster, close to the same weight, and the battery life is better. Something to think about. Of course it is $300 USD more, but probably worth it in the long run.

Before you order from the Apple TH site, just make sure they are true on their delivery dates.

I recently bought my Macbook Pro and delivery was supposed to be in 3 days. Every time I checked my account they kept adding a few days without telling me. I called them and they said it would definitely be delivered on a certain date. I then received an email to say that DHL had shipped my Macbook however it was coming from China. China I thought. I ordered it from Apple TH not China. I tracked the DHL website and the delivery date said another week or so. When the Macbook finally go to Thailand I got another email saying it was out for delivery so I waited in at home for it. I waited all day and nothing. So I called them and they said that Apple said it doesn't have to be delivered till 3 days time. They said it would be delivered the next day. Again I waited in and nothing, no DHL no Macbook. I called again and they said it would be delivered in 3 days time. <deleted>? By this time I was getting annoyed with them. It sat in Bangkok for 3 days and they kept telling me it would be with me the next day.

Eventually I got another email saying it was in Chonburi and out for delivery.

Over 2 weeks I waited for my 3 day delivery, so just make sure your not flying to the US in the next week or so.

Will I ever from Apple TH again?

Nope!!!

"Order Date: Jul 26, 2015
Web Order Number:
Apple Sales Order Number:

Dear

We appreciate your recent purchase through the online Apple Store.

The following is an update regarding the status of your order:

Due to an unexpected delay, we were unable to ship your product(s)
by the date originally quoted to you. We now anticipate shipping the
following item(s) as follows :

will now ship on or before 3-5 business days and deliver on or before
07/08/2015 - 10/08/2015"

In late 2013 my MBP ended up being cheaper here than if I had bought in the US. Shipped from China where it's built (not TH). I think it took about a week or more total as it had to be built. I also ordered a iPad mini 3 from them and an APE ... no complaints with me about the shipping time or using the TH site.

The new iPad Pro has quite enough power and features to be a good travel companion.

My last price comparison, all the Apple products were less expensive here than the US except the iPhone 6. I've not checked the prices since about 3 months ago.

Strange you only focused on apple products. Seems to me, since we are enjoying a better exchange rate (USD)..we get a savings on all items (until they raise the price). Cars, refridgerators, televisions (I just bought a 20,000 baht tv on sale for 19,000), at an exchange rate 2 baht better per dollar than last year. Save fifty bucks or so...that I did not have to exchange.

Hotels, restaurants...anything you can think of.

Apple did not really reduce their prices worldwide just yet.

Before you order from the Apple TH site, just make sure they are true on their delivery dates.

I recently bought my Macbook Pro and delivery was supposed to be in 3 days. Every time I checked my account they kept adding a few days without telling me. I called them and they said it would definitely be delivered on a certain date. I then received an email to say that DHL had shipped my Macbook however it was coming from China. China I thought. I ordered it from Apple TH not China. I tracked the DHL website and the delivery date said another week or so. When the Macbook finally go to Thailand I got another email saying it was out for delivery so I waited in at home for it. I waited all day and nothing. So I called them and they said that Apple said it doesn't have to be delivered till 3 days time. They said it would be delivered the next day. Again I waited in and nothing, no DHL no Macbook. I called again and they said it would be delivered in 3 days time. <deleted>? By this time I was getting annoyed with them. It sat in Bangkok for 3 days and they kept telling me it would be with me the next day.

Eventually I got another email saying it was in Chonburi and out for delivery.

Over 2 weeks I waited for my 3 day delivery, so just make sure your not flying to the US in the next week or so.

Will I ever from Apple TH again?

Nope!!!

"Order Date: Jul 26, 2015

Web Order Number:

Apple Sales Order Number:

Dear

We appreciate your recent purchase through the online Apple Store.

The following is an update regarding the status of your order:

Due to an unexpected delay, we were unable to ship your product(s)

by the date originally quoted to you. We now anticipate shipping the

following item(s) as follows :

will now ship on or before 3-5 business days and deliver on or before

07/08/2015 - 10/08/2015"

Apple products ordered online from the Thai store come from China, where they are built. You seem to have been unlucky with this delivery. I have never experienced any issues with products being delivered late from the Apple TH store. Edited by DMC1

Yes, Apple ship directly from China all over the world.

As for DHL delivering Apple products, I have had a similar experience with DHL delays where my order arrived in Thailand overnight, and then it took DHL nearly a week to get it delivered to my Bangkok address. Can't really blame Apple for DHL's service, except for giving the contract to DHL, probably the low bidder. Apple used to use Fedex and I never had a problem with them.

Bubba, thanks for mentioning this. When I first came here, the prices of iPhones were so high, I just have always assumed all Apple products were expensive here, compared to home.

I'm curious if you saw the Apple event video from last night? I've never owned an iPad, but the iPad Pro looks pretty interesting to me. Maybe because it seems like I do less "work" these days on my machine. Storage space for video and old photos etc. is very limited, that's at least one strike against it. Any chance you would consider the iPad Pro?

Yes, the new iPad Pro does look interesting. I do have an iPad Air, and it does what I need to do, but that is sort of a different purpose from my MacBook Air. I do a lot of spreadsheet crunching and writing on the road, and I sort of need a MacBook for that purposes. At least to me, I am a lot more productive with true multitasking ability, as well as many of the apps that I use that would not be on the iPad.

It does look like the MacBook Air is here to stay as well, as it sort of has a different market than would the iPad Pro. Looks like they are waiting for the new Intel Skylane chips to become available. Those will give a 10-20 percent performance boost and at lower power consumption, supposedly consuming 30% less battery power. I would bet that they will be including a 3D touch pad as well.

But then there is this:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/8/9275157/apple-macbook-air-pro-retina-redesign-phase-out

The iPad Pro starts at $799 for the cheapest model and you have to pay extra for the pencil and keyboard. Microsoft will now probably discount the Surface Pro 3, making it a better deal. I believe that I read on ZDNet that a 256 GB iPad Pro with a pencil and keyboard will cost more than $1,300. I bought a Sony Vaio Tap 11 a year ago and have upgraded it to Windows 8. It has a 128 GB SSD and accepts a 64 GB Micro-SD card so the storage is adequate. For $599, it came with its own detachable bluetooth keyboard. The Vaio Tap 11s are still around on Ebay.

It is sort of difficult to do a comparison based on price between an old, discontinued Sony Vaio Tap that was released two years ago (at US$1100 for 128 GB) to the newest Apple iPad Pro. Also, the Vaio Tap didn't exactly get glowing reviews when it came out in 2013, partly because battery life was only about 4.5 hours.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2080806/sony-vaio-tap-11-ultrabook-review-sleek-and-sexy-but-far-too-slippery.html

if you buy in Thailand you get a thai keyboard or a US international keyboard?

Which ever you want..... If I rememeber if you order on Mac site, you get an English/ Thai board.... If you go to Ibeats, or other official Mac store, they have a choice of Engllsh or Thai/English...

Price would be the same....