Visa by post from Thai Embassy London

Hi I am having a lot of trouble getting through to Thai Embassy London, it is either engaged, no answer or automated message. I need to find out how long it takes to apply for a tourist visa by post, how long before I will receive visa? I am travelling to Thailand on November 22, 2015 so need to know when I should apply?

Many thanks for any help.

It's only important if you have a 2 or 3 entry visa and want to maximise the time here. If you do then you should apply as late as possible.

Hi yes I was applying for a 3 entry visa so probably need to apply about a week before? smile.png

Yep.

The visa will have a life of 6 months from the date it's issued. So the 3rd entry needs to be done on or before the 'enter before' date that will be printed on the visa. Leaving it as late as possible to apply gives you the latest possible 3rd entry.

• Like 1

OP: You may be having trouble getting through because they only appear to answer calls at certain times. I've called outside those times and had similar problems.

From the website Contact page:

Contact us

Royal Thai Embassy, London

Address: Royal Thai Embassy, 29-30 Queen's Gate, London, SW7 5JB
Tel: 0207 589 2944 Ext. 5500 between 14.00-17.00hrs.
Fax: 0207 823 7492
Email: [email protected] (consular matters)

[email protected] (passport matters)
[email protected] (visa matters)
[email protected] (general enquiries)
Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

It's only important if you have a 2 or 3 entry visa and want to maximise the time here. If you do then you should apply as late as possible.

Hi yes I was applying for a 3 entry visa so probably need to apply about a week before? smile.png

Yep.

The visa will have a life of 6 months from the date it's issued. So the 3rd entry needs to be done on or before the 'enter before' date that will be printed on the visa. Leaving it as late as possible to apply gives you the latest possible 3rd entry.

Ok many thanks :)

OP: You may be having trouble getting through because they only appear to answer calls at certain times. I've called outside those times and had similar problems.

Contact us

Yeah I've been trying to call between 14.00-17.00hrs but never seem to get any answer :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Can anyone on here verify when the Thai embassy in London stopped accepting CASH, and would only accept POSTAL ORDERS,when applying for a visa by post..Big discussion on this in my local bar ,as I applied for my visa on 3rd October 2015 ,and I had the option to send both !!! I know now it states on the website postal orders only ,but does anyone know when they actually changed this option ??

Thanks for any response

Hi all,

Can anyone on here verify when the Thai embassy in London stopped accepting CASH, and would only accept POSTAL ORDERS,when applying for a visa by post..Big discussion on this in my local bar ,as I applied for my visa on 3rd October 2015 ,and I had the option to send both !!! I know now it states on the website postal orders only ,but does anyone know when they actually changed this option ??

Thanks for any response

It has said postal order since the day they posted the requirements in January of 2014.

A assume they accepted the cash you sent instead of sending it back to you without a visa being issued.

I personally would never send cash in the post. You would have no proof that you sent the cash if they claimed you did not send it.

Contact us

Yeah I've been trying to call between 14.00-17.00hrs but never seem to get any answer smile.png

The London Embassy are renowned for their steadfast refusal (and determination not) to answer the telephone - an "art" which they have mastered to ultimate perfection.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

Hi I sent a £75 postal order for my triple entry visa and also sent £10 CASH for the return of my passport. I had my passport and visa back within 3 days, sent off for it on November 4th 2015 and got it back on November 7th 2015. Also the post office charge an extra £10 to send the postal order so beware of that, and all the visa and their prices have changed as of November 13th, hope this is of some help.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

Hi I sent a £75 postal order for my triple entry visa and also sent £10 CASH for the return of my passport. I had my passport and visa back within 3 days, sent off for it on November 4th 2015 and got it back on November 7th 2015. Also the post office charge an extra £10 to send the postal order so beware of that, and all the visa and their prices have changed as of November 13th, hope this is of some help.

JayJay - What did you mean by Also the post office charge an extra £10 to send the postal order.....?

Dare I assume that was a typo and you meant "send the application"?

Oh, and was there a reason you didn't just send a £85 PO instead of a £75 PO + £10 cash?

On the form it says "- Each applicant must enclose self address envelope with spacial delivery stamp or pay an extra £10 on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport"

Edited by VBF

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

JayJay - What did you mean by Also the post office charge an extra £10 to send the postal order.....?

Oh, and was there a reason you didn't just send a £85 PO instead of a £75 PO + £10 cash?

On the form it says "- Each applicant must enclose self address envelope with spacial delivery stamp or pay an extra £10 on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport"

No typo you read right, post office charges £10 to send a £75 postal order, which I was pretty disgusted about.

I sent £75 postal order and £10 cash as that is what is stated on their website, so all in all cost me £95.

But as I say had no problem, got my passport and visa back in 3 days.

This is from Thai Embassy London website.

2. HOW TO APPLY FOR A VISA BY POST

2.1. Complete and sign one application form. Only visa application forms issued by The Royal Thai Embassy in London will be accepted. A separate form is required for each traveller regardless of age. DOWNLOAD FORM

2.2. Submit with the completed form

- Your Passport/Travel Document which must be valid for at least 6 Months from the date of application.

- Two recent passport size photos

- Appropriate fee (See Item 3)

- Each applicant must enclose self address envelope and pay an extra £10 (cash) on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

No typo you read right, post office charges £10 to send a £75 postal order, which I was pretty disgusted about.

I sent £75 postal order and £10 cash as that is what is stated on their website, so all in all cost me £95.

But as I say had no problem, got my passport and visa back in 3 days.

This is from Thai Embassy London website.

2. HOW TO APPLY FOR A VISA BY POST

2.1. Complete and sign one application form. Only visa application forms issued by The Royal Thai Embassy in London will be accepted. A separate form is required for each traveller regardless of age. DOWNLOAD FORM

2.2. Submit with the completed form

- Your Passport/Travel Document which must be valid for at least 6 Months from the date of application.

- Two recent passport size photos

- Appropriate fee (See Item 3)

- Each applicant must enclose self address envelope and pay an extra £10 (cash) on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport

Thanks JayJay - I get that bit but are you sure that the reason the PO charged you £10 wasn't because you sent it registered/recorded or some other sort of secure delivery? After all you possibly told them it had a passport inside, didn't you?

I've always paid extra to send my passport through the post "just in case"

Otherwise, how would they know what was in the envelope unless you put the Postal Order in the envelope in front of the clerk?

I'm certainly not disputing what you say, but may I suggest that the PO clerk asked you what was in the envelope, and you'd said a passport, and the £10 was for secure (signed for) delivery....wasn't it?

That was presumably how the embassy sent it back to you....at least I hope it was!!!

Oh, another minor point - did you actually include a self-addressed envelope?

Finally - I also tried to phone the embassy this afternoon at the appropriate time - never an answer but the recorded message did tell me that they valued my call...how nice!

Thanks a lot

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

The post office charged me £10 to send postal order PLUS the secure delivery of the passport, so I actually paid more than £95 as it was £6.45 for special delivery, I have the receipts here.

The £10 cash was for the Embassy to send my passport and visa back by secure delivery, and yes I also included self addressed envelope, but it wasn't stamped that's why I put the £10 cash in.

And I had terrible trouble getting through to Embassy by phone, in the end I got through to the Consular Section and explained that I could never get through to Visa Section, and they miraculously put me straight through lol.

Sorry I tried to reply on the other post but it kept saying I had sent the maximum amount of text facepalm.gif

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

The post office charged me £10 to send postal order PLUS the secure delivery of the passport, so I actually paid more than £95 as it was £6.45 for special delivery, I have the receipts here.

The £10 cash was for the Embassy to send my passport and visa back by secure delivery, and yes I also included self addressed envelope, but it wasn't stamped that's why I put the £10 cash in.

And I had terrible trouble getting through to Embassy by phone, in the end I got through to the Consular Section and explained that I could never get through to Visa Section, and they miraculously put me straight through lol.

Sorry I tried to reply on the other post but it kept saying I had sent the maximum amount of text facepalm.gif

Yes, when a thread gets too long, one has to delete the earlier bits from one's quotes - can be tiresome but makes sense or some quotes would be pages and pages!

Anyway - thanks very much JayJay - I was looking online and found this Postal Orders and it appears that they should have charged you £9.38 (12.5% of £75) which is the fee for buying a postal order, about which I'd completely forgotten!!

Would I therefore be correct in saying that is the extra tenner they hit you with IE a fee for buying the postal order itself, not a fee to send it...'cos i can't find THAT anywhere and i'm baffled!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

Yes, when a thread gets too long, one has to delete the earlier bits from one's quotes - can be tiresome but makes sense or some quotes would be pages and pages!

Anyway - thanks very much JayJay - I was looking online and found this Postal Orders and it appears that they should have charged you £9.38 (12.5% of £75) which is the fee for buying a postal order, about which I'd completely forgotten!!

Would I therefore be correct in saying that is the extra tenner they hit you with IE a fee for buying the postal order itself, not a fee to send it...'cos i can't find THAT anywhere and i'm baffled!

Yes that's correct, sorry my mistake, the extra tenner they stung me for was the fee to buy the postal order not send it.

Hi all,

Thanks for any response

Yes that's correct, sorry my mistake, the extra tenner they stung me for was the fee to buy the postal order not send it.

Ah!!!!! All makes perfect sense now!

So in essence, £75 postal order for the visa + £9.38 postal order fee + £6.45 for special delivery + £10 cash in the envelope so the embassy would send it back "signed for" = a grand total of £100.83 (more than £95 as you so rightly said!)

You included a non-stamped self addressed envelope, and they turned it around in 3 days.

And I presume you had the postal order made out to "The Royal Thai Embassy."

Yes???

• Like 1

Ah!!!!! All makes perfect sense now!

So in essence, £75 postal order for the visa + £9.38 postal order fee + £6.45 for special delivery + £10 cash in the envelope so the embassy would send it back "signed for" = a grand total of £100.83 (more than £95 as you so rightly said!)

You included a non-stamped self addressed envelope, and they turned it around in 3 days.

And I presume you had the postal order made out to "The Royal Thai Embassy."

Yes???

send your own stamped / paid for return envelope. I always have with no problems.

I also send cash. Never a postal order. No problems there either.

Finally - I also tried to phone the embassy this afternoon at the appropriate time - never an answer but the recorded message did tell me that they valued my call...how nice!

Thanks a lot

I didn't even get that when I tried to call them back in 2008 in connection with my OA visa application - just the good old ringing tone over and over again! At least it didn't cost me, though!!smile.png

Edited by OJAS

• 3 weeks later...
Just to complete this topic, here's an update and what I did this week when I applied for a SETV to London:

Single Entry Tourist Visa £25 (Postal Order)

Cost of Postal Order £3.13

Return Fee £10 (Cash)

Cost to send application Special Delivery Guaranteed £6.45

========

Total £44.58

Also included:

Completed application form

Self-addressed envelope

2 passport-sized photos

All sent to Thai Embassy on Tuesday 1st December, just before the Post Office closed.

Passport with Visa received back Friday morning 4th December.

Entry Before 2 March 2016 - I'm going January 2016

I think that means I'm good to go! biggrin.png

BTW....Just in case anyone else's London applications are currently in process, the Embassy is closed for Thai Public Holidays on December 7th and 11th.

Does that make it a 7/11? Sorry wai.gif

Edited by VBF