Myanmar's Suu Kyi promises voters corruption free government

Jonathan Fairfield

Myanmar's Suu Kyi promises voters corruption free government

KAWHMU, MYANMAR | BY HNIN YADANA ZAW

Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi pledged to form a government free from corruption, empower workers and end reliance on foreign aid, as she campaigned on Monday for the southeast Asian country's first free national vote in 25 years.

Wearing red shirts and waving party flags, thousands of supporters gave a rock-star welcome to Suu Kyi, who led the struggle against military rule in the former Burma for two decades, as she campaigned in her constituency on the fringes of Myanmar's commercial capital, Yangon.

The Nov. 8 election will give more space to democratic activists, who were crushed during a half-century of military rule that ended in 2011, ushering in a semi-civilian, military-backed government of President Thein Sein which released political prisoners and opened the country's economy.

"We need a government which is free from corruption for the development of the country," Suu Kyi told the rally in Kawmhu, an impoverished, rice-growing area that is a stronghold for her National League for Democracy (NLD) party.

In the run-up to the poll, Suu Kyi has pledged to speed up democratic reforms, scrutinize investment to limit environmental impacts and amend a junta-drafted constitution that bars her from becoming president.

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-09-22

You have never heard of the USA?...The current masters of inter alia the UK?

Don't understand "inter alia the UK."

So are you saying that USA will colonize Myanmar? If so, then you're a troll.

Edited by HerbalEd

I think it would be better if you were slightly more educated than you are!

The US backed proxy stooge Swe MannThura is a Burmese politician who has been Speaker of the Pyithu Hluttaw, the lower house of parliament,( co-stooge of ASSK) was put under house arrest due to moves construed to be actions that would benefit the USA or specifically being an agent of the USA.

I don't have a clue where you have been?..Likely a hole in the ground?

But clearly you may not know the USA has a plan called a pivot to China, which includes the subjugation of Myanmar (which borders China) and if they could?...The US would use Myanmar in its encirclement dicta..that is ringing Myanmar with US missiles facing China in order to contain China's rise, not to mention the oil gas, water, natural resources the US could steal... But they can't and they won't succeed in anycase.

Hope I have educated someone as misinformed as you?..On the house dunce!

Edited by Che Serna

I think it would be better if you were slightly more educated than you are!

The US backed proxy stooge Swe MannThura is a Burmese politician who has been Speaker of the Pyithu Hluttaw, the lower house of parliament,( co-stooge of ASSK) was put under house arrest due to moves construed to be actions that would benefit the USA or specifically being an agent of the USA.

I don't have a clue where you have been?..Likely a hole in the ground?

But clearly you may not know the USA has a plan called a pivot to China, which includes the subjugation of Myanmar (which borders China) and if they could?...The US would use Myanmar in its encirclement dicta..that is ringing Myanmar with US missiles facing China in order to contain China's rise, not to mention the oil gas, water, natural resources the US could steal... But they can't and they won't succeed in anycase.

Hope I have educated someone as misinformed as you?..On the house dunce!

No one knows it all, and everyone has areas of which they know little to nothing. So don't feel and act so superior because you may know more about a particular subject than someone else. I'm sure I and others could educate you on many subjects of which you are not familiar or well versed.

Meanwhile why the need to write so cryptically? It shows an "attempt" at sounding superior.