Today I divorced. What to do with my Non-O visa, based on marriage?

Rob how can he get a new one, when his wife must be at the request for an extension.

You should cancel it and get a tourist or another type of visa that allows you to stay in Thailand, the fact that you might not be checked means in reality you could continue with your present extension and do your usual 90 day reporting, but if you get caught, then be ready for a fine.

Rob how can he get a new one, when his wife must be at the request for an extension.

You should cancel it and get a tourist or another type of visa that allows you to stay in Thailand, the fact that you might not be checked means in reality you could continue with your present extension and do your usual 90 day reporting, but if you get caught, then be ready for a fine.

My mistake I was unclear, with new one I mean other visa (tourist / business / based on retirement ect, elite visa) he cant get one based on marriage.

I also think it wont be checked, there is a risk in just using it if the wife wants to cause trouble she might go to immigration. Otherwise its relatively safe.

Your extension ended today as soon as the divorce decree was done. You would have to inform immigration to have them cancel you extension. No comment on what you should do now..

The best option would of been to of gotten a multiple entry non-o visa before you got divorced. It would of remained valid,

• Like 1

whistling.gif What is your age,?

If you are 50 years old or more, you could, with the required funds, get an yearly extension based on retirement here in Thailand.

Of course, you would have to meet the age and financial requirements.

If you can meet the requirements, you would probably have to show proof of divorce also to do the change,

With a retirement extension, you would also be prohibited from working in Thailand.

whistling.gif What is your age,?

If you are 50 years old or more, you could, with the required funds, get an yearly extension based on retirement here in Thailand.

Of course, you would have to meet the age and financial requirements.

If you can meet the requirements, you would probably have to show proof of divorce also to do the change,

With a retirement extension, you would also be prohibited from working in Thailand.

Re not working on retirement visa it can depend on the area.

Some areas will allow it.

Your extension ended today as soon as the divorce decree was done. You would have to inform immigration to have them cancel you extension. No comment on what you should do now..

The best option would of been to of gotten a multiple entry non-o visa before you got divorced. It would of remained valid,

A friend has just changed from marriage to retirement visa.

He got a week's grace (he didn't have to leave/re-enter the country, as he thought he would originally).

Also, obviously, the money side, and to make sure that your change of address has been done beforehand (if required!?).

Whatever marriage/divorce papers also.

A friend, having gone through a similar ordeal, divorced on good terms, and continued to use the support letter (updated) and marriage certificate to apply for a new Non-O back in his home country. Any idea how closely consulates check the marital status of applicants?

I changed mine to a support visa(I think its called)as I have two half thai kids that I pay for schooling and upkeep.

Same requirements as marriage visa

Except you do not have to season the money in bank for two months.

are you sure,hua hin imm wanted to see 400 000bht in bank

Officially you need to inform immigration as the reason for your extension does no longer exist. I believe they give you 7 days to clear up your stuff, unless you get a different type of extension.

In reality this is not really enforced and nobody cares, nor is it tracked in their computers. I had a WP/B when I resigned on a project in Indonesia and did not do anything as I was not in the country. Later I got a new marriage O visa in Singapore. Entered Thailand with two valid visas (which is theoretically not possible). Told the guys at Suvannabumi to use the latter one and all was ok.

So yes, you can just ride it out and get a new one later. Nobody cares.

• Like 1

I changed mine to a support visa(I think its called)as I have two half thai kids that I pay for schooling and upkeep.

are you sure,hua hin imm wanted to see 400 000bht in bank

Yes, you need 400.000 but it does not have to be seasoned as with Thai wife.

Paragraph 5 is for having Thai child.

Paragraph 6 is for Thai wife.

From Police order 327/2557

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a nonimmigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) The alien must have proof of relationship.

(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto: or

(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married,

must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness

or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother: or

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have

deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

In case the father or mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.

For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a

case by case basis.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month

or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

thanks for the info,so I just need the 400 000 in the bank at anytime in the preceding 12months or deposit before I attend for renewal

The money has to be in the bank on the date you apply. But there are a few offices that will insist it needs to be there for 2 months.

• Like 1

Officially you need to inform immigration as the reason for your extension does no longer exist. I believe they give you 7 days to clear up your stuff, unless you get a different type of extension.

In reality this is not really enforced and nobody cares, nor is it tracked in their computers. I had a WP/B when I resigned on a project in Indonesia and did not do anything as I was not in the country. Later I got a new marriage O visa in Singapore. Entered Thailand with two valid visas (which is theoretically not possible). Told the guys at Suvannabumi to use the latter one and all was ok.

So yes, you can just ride it out and get a new one later. Nobody cares.

Immigration does not give you anything. They will change you 1900 baht for a 7 day extension. Technically your on overstay the moment you sign papers.

Sorry if this isn't the right protocol but are subsequent (after the first) extensions of marriage visa still only requiring 2 months money seasoning. ?I thought it became three months though I may be confusing it with retirement visa.

Sorry if this isn't the right protocol but are subsequent (after the first) extensions of marriage visa still only requiring 2 months money seasoning. ?I thought it became three months though I may be confusing it with retirement visa.

The money has to be in the bank for 2 months for every extension of stay based upon marriage.

The 60 day 3 month rule is for retirement extensions.