Driving In Pattaya

HowardJohnson

Hi All,

I'll soon be moving to Pattaya and will have to take to the roads in order to conduct my business. To be honest, having experienced the traffic from the rear seat and as a pedestrian, I'm kinda concerned.

Add to the normal chaos, the rumours and stories of Farangs being targetted by the police for on the spot fines and also being deliberatley crashed into so compensation can be claimed, it becomes a real worry and I'm seriously thinking about just hiring a car and driver for the days I need it.

What are your experiences, good or bad?

Cheers!

HoJo

Hi All,

I'll soon be moving to Pattaya and will have to take to the roads in order to conduct my business. To be honest, having experienced the traffic from the rear seat and as a pedestrian, I'm kinda concerned.

Add to the normal chaos, the rumours and stories of Farangs being targetted by the police for on the spot fines and also being deliberatley crashed into so compensation can be claimed, it becomes a real worry and I'm seriously thinking about just hiring a car and driver for the days I need it.

Cheers!

HoJo

Mate,

Put dark film on your windows so no one can see you are a farang.

I live and drive in BKK everyday, also I have to drive to Pattaya on business once a week. I find Pattaya much easier to drive in, BKK has to many people on the roads not knowing where they are going. you have just got to keep your eyes open and mind the bikes.

Hi All,

Cheers!

HoJo

There is a knack to it . Seemed daunting when I first saw how Thai people drive.

But then I grew up driving in New York City.

I find it much more relaxing in Patters than driving in Hong Kong. Yes there is a rule of the road in HK, but there is also total arrogance from 99.9% of the population. In Patters everyone ignores the rules but when you accept that fact you will find that when you suddenly want to get across three lanes, the locals will let you without horns and the drama of more " refined " driving cultures. The bikes on the other hand are a problem and use of wing mirrors an absolute must to survive. A large number of the buggers have no insurance and if you hit one ( or just as likely they hit you ) DO NOT move, DO NOT accept responsibility, in fact don't do anything until your own insurance agent arrives. As Joe Farang you are in the wrong until proven otherwise and you need local help with the situation to get back up and running. Sounds scary, but back to point one, when you get used to it no problems, enjoy

Edited by suiging

I don't live there but rent everytime I visit and drive in Pattaya and all over LOS.

The main thing is to pay attention, expect other drivers to do the un expected. In the country, they flash lights and pull out to pass, whether you are heading at them or not. You just learn to ride the sholuder. Motorbikes, carts, dogs, cows, etc. In Pattaya you mix the mess with quite a few drunks.

Last month I went to Kanchantaburi for a night. No worries. Then we decided to spend a night in Bangkok, and of course a cop stopped me. Insisted I go back to the police station, miles away to pay a fine for pulling into a lane he said was posted. (Neither of us saw it). My gal tried to talk him down but he wouldn't budge until I said I'll pay here. Then it went from 200 baht to 500 baht. F-it, I just wanted to head out and get to the hotel after a half day drive. I held the money up and he quickly pushed it down and crumpled it into his fist.

But what I learned was to have a pseudo license. It could probably be your member card to Walmart as long as your picture is on it. "Sure, I'll meet you at the police station to pay that 200 baht." Have fun tracking me with that JC Penny christmas saver card. Dick.

:o

Sorry, just tired of supporting the mia noi, karaoke, whisky subsidy of the men's in brown!

BJ

Oh yeah. if you do decide to drive, get a small car, as said, much easier to park.

what puzzles me is why? What is the basis of Thai driving philosophy? I think that certainly the expression "arai ja gerd gaw hai man gerd", - whatever happens is meant to happen, goes some way to explaining some behaviour.

In Western countries we have grown up with the car for over 50 years, we expect to drive and our national psyches are geared to this as are our road systems and behaviour on them.

On the other hand, mass motorised transport is a relatively new thing here, it has only taken hold with rampant industrialisation, before this the 2 main forms of transport were hand or animal pulled cart or perhaps more importantly, river transport.

So it has been suggested, and I like the idea, that the Thai national psyche is orientated towards river transport – this would indeed account for a lot of traffic behaviour, for who could deny that especially in towns it flows much more as if on water than on asphalt. No sudden halts just gentle drifting out into mainstreams, slowly moving up alongside the bank (hard shoulder) sheltering from the oncoming current…… moving off so slowly so as not to upset the load…..and of course parking nose first and hoping the stern will drift in round behind. Needless to say that add to this the speed capability of the motor vehicle and you get a somewhat dangerous situation…..but next time you’re out driving, just keep repeating to yourself “I’m in a boat, I’m in a boat, I’m in a boat” and see how it all comes together!

what puzzles me is why? What is the basis of Thai driving philosophy? I think that certainly the expression "arai ja gerd gaw hai man gerd", - whatever happens is meant to happen, goes some way to explaining some behaviour.

In Western countries we have grown up with the car for over 50 years, we expect to drive and our national psyches are geared to this as are our road systems and behaviour on them.

On the other hand, mass motorised transport is a relatively new thing here, it has only taken hold with rampant industrialisation, before this the 2 main forms of transport were hand or animal pulled cart or perhaps more importantly, river transport.

So it has been suggested, and I like the idea, that the Thai national psyche is orientated towards river transport – this would indeed account for a lot of traffic behaviour, for who could deny that especially in towns it flows much more as if on water than on asphalt. No sudden halts just gentle drifting out into mainstreams, slowly moving up alongside the bank (hard shoulder) sheltering from the oncoming current…… moving off so slowly so as not to upset the load…..and of course parking nose first and hoping the stern will drift in round behind. Needless to say that add to this the speed capability of the motor vehicle and you get a somewhat dangerous situation…..but next time you’re out driving, just keep repeating to yourself “I’m in a boat, I’m in a boat, I’m in a boat” and see how it all comes together!

Ahhhhhhhh a Nation obsessed with " Punts '. You could be right. :o

Some good advice here.

Driving in Pattaya is definitely easier than driving in Bangkoik, both from a driving perpective (much less agression here), parking and also a "losing your way" perspective.

You may find it a bit 'nervy' for a week or so, but you'll soon get into it.

A few tips: Have good insurance (IMO use an insurer with a foriegn parent, e.g. AIG); always carry a digital camera, your Thai driving license, your claims/insurance agent emergency phone number, a copy of your passport (NOT original, as if you have a bad incident, it might be taken from you - at least if it is at home, you have a fighting chance of a lawyer or someone negotiating for you before the police seize it), and a wad of "emergency" 1,000 Baht notes - at least it gives you the option of 'negotiating' your way out of trouble - either with the police, or with the other party in an accident.

Bleeding heck...you've all scared the sh1t out of me now.

SOOOO many things to remember :D

Just as well you're in sleepy Chaing Rai, wher the fastest thing on the road is probably a buffalo cart, with OEJ sitting atop the durians. :o

Bleeding heck...you've all scared the sh1t out of me now.

SOOOO many things to remember :D

I'm coming down from Chiang Mai this weekend (where the driving is awful) and he has scared me too!

It'll probably never happen - but it's wise to take sensible, practical precautions.

You do get the occasional horror story, and you may be completely innocent, but as a farang driver you are always vulnerable.

Just take the precautions and put it out of your mind.

Happy driving :o

Hi All,

Cheers!

HoJo

Ignore the posts before.

Just sit in your car and head to your destination. Add some time to your travel schedule.

You would be in traffic jams as expected for the place capable for catering for 20K people, now there are 220K+.

Never ever seen any traffic accident in Pattaya.

No reason to fear. Thais are pretty considerate while in-city. The traffic is pretty much like a river flow - put a stick in the middle of it and it will flow around.

The trouble is when on an open road. There they go 140-180km.

Driving in Pattaya - just slower than desired.

Had an accident once in Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road. The car in front of me stopped suddenly, and I managed to stop with about a foot between us. The car behind, however, didn't stop and my car ended up about a foot shorter than it should have been!

The police arrived, and the insurance agent, and what surprised me was the complete absence of the "it must be his fault, he's a farang" scenario. The only person who said that was the person at the back, who's fault it obviously was. The woman in the car in front of me, the Police, the insurance agent, and a pile of people (Thai) standing at the bus stop, ALL agreed it was not my fault.

It made me feel good - and the repairs didn't cost me one satang.

G

Ignore the posts before.

Do this at your peril. I promise you.

Why is that?

When I learned that Thai drivers observe your indicated intention to do something, they are quite OK.

Not an inch of my western driving habits were at a stake other than surprising pedestrians while giving them way.

Ignore the posts before.

Do this at your peril. I promise you.

Why is that?

Don't you think that the following is good advice worth taking note of?

A few tips: Have good insurance (IMO use an insurer with a foriegn parent, e.g. AIG); always carry a digital camera, your Thai driving license, your claims/insurance agent emergency phone number, a copy of your passport (NOT original, as if you have a bad incident, it might be taken from you - at least if it is at home, you have a fighting chance of a lawyer or someone negotiating for you before the police seize it), and a wad of "emergency" 1,000 Baht notes - at least it gives you the option of 'negotiating' your way out of trouble - either with the police, or with the other party in an accident.

and this?

One more essential tip if you are new. In Thailand, an oncoming car flashing his lights is not being courteous and giving you the right of way. He means I am coming no matter what and I am not prepared to brake
Edited by Artisan