Horror Stories?

ev1lchris

Private hospitals will usually not admit you unless assurred you are able to pay and also will not discharge you/let you leave until the bill is paid.

And they may indeed hold off on certain expensive tests and treatments if there is any doubt about ability to pay.

Government hospitals won't withold basic care in an emergency but they too will expect to be paid. In addition there are things that the hospitals themselves can't provide for which cash has to be paid upfront to a third party such as an imaging center for mri, ambulance, certain imporyed medical supplies and drugs.

If you are here uninsured and without a good emergency fund you should indeed be very worried and take steps.

Indeed not.

Even in a government hospitals bills can easily exceed a couple million baht if prolonged hospitalization, multiple surgeries, ICU care etc required.

Outpatient care is indeed usually very affordable. Inpatient, not.

A close friend of mine just ran up a 250,000 baht bill at a government hospital just on 2 elective surgical procedures. Ok, a few complications, but no ICU and only 2 1/2 week stay. And nothing super specialized.

A heart attack, stroke, major accident with multiple trauma and you are looking at >1 million easily, 3 times that if a private hospital.

Say I'm involved in an accident and out of concious or not able to speak cause say I broke my jaw just to name something, where will they take me, government or private hospital?

A friend of mine told me to keep at least 200k baht in my Thai bank account as an emergency fund for such things, which I do now (no insurance), but for sure I'll ask to be taken to a governmental hospital in case I have any serious injuries.

Last time I broke my small toe, and went to memorial hospital at 3rd road, I don't remember exactly how much I paid but I think it was somewhere around 500 baht, one other time I had a deep cut in my thumb which required stitches + medication which was somewhere between 1500-2500 baht. All so affordable at those government hospitals.

Well, older people especially have to plan for cardiac problems, cancer, various organ failures, stroke and broken bones. Any or a combination of these can cost millions of baht. Good insurance or a large medical contingency fund is imperative if you can afford it. I know that many people can't so are one illness away from financial disaster. One strategy is to repatriate to your home country for Medicare, NHS, etc. but the return trip itself may be very expensivem if you are ill. Poor people don't have many good options. NancyL is an expert on handling these situations.

Well, older people especially have to plan for cardiac problems, cancer, various organ failures, stroke and broken bones. Any or a combination of these can cost millions of baht. Good insurance or a large medical contingency fund is imperative if you can afford it. I know that many people can't so are one illness away from financial disaster. One strategy is to repatriate to your home country for Medicare, NHS, etc. but the return trip itself may be very expensivem if you are ill. Poor people don't have many good options. NancyL is an expert on handling these situations.

There are also some things you can't insure yourself for... Kidney failure..... Apparently no insurance company will insure you for dialysis.... Your moving to your home country whether you like it or not

Broken bones, Kasikorn Bank Accident Protect Plus costs 2k5 and covers you for any accident up to 50k per event.

Older people need only plan for death.

Broken bones, Kasikorn Bank Accident Protect Plus costs 2k5 and covers you for any accident up to 50k per event.

Older people need only plan for death.

50K is hardly worth having. Even in a government hospital. Unless it is a simple fracture or two -- and not pelvis or hip, and no head injury -- this won't begin to cover it. Even at a government hospital.

As for "older people need only plan for death" -- hardly. They need to plan for hip fractures, cataracts and a host of other things that will not kill them but will seriously affect their quality of life if not treated. As well as numerous things that can be managed to enable many more years of productive living but would otherwise lead to death.

I am a B350k man.

Granted it was a private hospital.

The break must have been a VIP variety at that price.

Now, me & my break are famous - about to enter the Hall of Fame.

Can't see how a broken leg can cost more than 5k in a Thai hospital.

2 x-rays (before and after), local anesthetic, 30 mins of a doctors time (manipulation), and a nurse to wrap the plaster.

Bit more for compound, with operation to cut bone fragments out and a metal rod.

But I don't see how that would be more complicated than a gall bladder operation (price 25-30k).

Yeah, CMRAM will rip a foreigner every time, don't go there, for big stuff .... OK for cosmetic surgery.

Just a little more complex than that.

Operation.

Plate inserted (no plaster).

4 months later - I am still in a wheelchair.

Ultrasound required for possible head damage.

MINOR!

X-rays 100bht in a government hospital.

Ultrasound for head injuries ???????

I have already answered.

Local hospital - too complicated.

Ambulance to CNX on a Sunday night - midnight.

Government hospital (CNX) did not have the staff available to complete the operation.

I queried the bill - reduced by B10k.

What would you have done - I was unconscious!

Anything else?

I have already answered.

Local hospital - too complicated.

Ambulance to CNX on a Sunday night - midnight.

Government hospital (CNX) did not have the staff available to complete the operation.

I queried the bill - reduced by B10k.

What would you have done - I was unconscious!

Anything else?

If you were unconcious, then they didn't have the right to do 350k worth of work.

My insurance card covers 50k, more than that, without my authorization, they doing it free.

One of the big scams in Thailand, unnecessary expensive hospital procedures, and it's really widespread.

Without my informed consent, no payment.

So far they've tried on with me, unneeded gall bladder operation, with my son, unneeded appendectomy.

(This was in two separate incidents, in two separate CM hospitals, neither connected to CMRam)

I refused both as they were both completely unnecessary. Just scams to make a bit of cash.

This hospital sounds a bit like one of those karaoke bars ...... the ones where the thugs take you to the ATM before they release you.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

How much "work" should they do?

Open up the injured leg.

OK, Doc, that is enough for today.

How would they know if I had medical insurance?

If I did, how much?

The questions are endless.

I don't know about you, I have a card in my wallet that says maximum 50k, bill direct.

Again, I can assure you that nills at government hospitals can easily exceed 50k. They are certainly less than private hospitals, usually by a factor of about threefold, but that doesn't make 50k a reasonable level of cover.

Rule of thumb: 1-2 mil cover if will be using only govt hospitals, 5 mil if want the option of using private ones.

Hospitals give pretty good service in Thailand for what it cost. I doubt they would let the patient go if they don't have to.

In the US & the UK, if you are shot, in an accident or in a near death semi conscious state, when your wheeled through the hospital emergency doors into reception, the head nurse will say ' excuse me sir ... what is your insurance company sir ! can I see your card please sir ! what is your social security number sir !!

then when your on your last breath ...... ' excuse me sir !! could you sign this form please !!

only after all the paperwork is covered ... will they wheel you upstairs .

Hospitals give pretty good service in Thailand for what it cost. I doubt they would let the patient go if they don't have to.

In the US & the UK, if you are shot, in an accident or in a near death semi conscious state, when your wheeled through the hospital emergency doors into reception, the head nurse will say ' excuse me sir ... what is your insurance company sir ! can I see your card please sir ! what is your social security number sir !!

then when your on your last breath ...... ' excuse me sir !! could you sign this form please !!

only after all the paperwork is covered ... will they wheel you upstairs .

Not in the UK they dont....and they would be legally obligated to treat someone in an emergency case irrespective of their insurance status Edited by Soutpeel