Heavy downpours cause flooding on many Bangkok roads

Lite Beer

Heavy downpours cause flooding on many Bangkok roads

BANGKOK, 3 October 2015 (NNT) – As a consequence of Tropical Storm Mujigae, Bangkok has been hammered by torrential rains, which have left many main roads inundated.

Bangkok’s Department of Drainage and Sewerage this morning reported that the rainstorm over the northern and eastern parts of the capital was slowly moving towards the inner city area. With the rainfall having continued intermittently since Friday afternoon, flooding has occurred in many areas, including Vibhavadi Rangsit Road near Don Mueang Airport, Ratchadapisek Road and Chaeng Wattana Road. The inundation has also led to heavy traffic congestion.

Meanwhile, the Traffic Police Division has urged motorists to exercise caution behind the wheel due to wet and slippery road surfaces. People are also welcome to contact the Traffic Police hotline number 1197, which is available 24 hours a day, to obtain information on traffic conditions or report accidents.

The currently wet weather in Bangkok and other areas throughout the country is a result of Tropical Storm Mujigae and is expected to linger through October 6th.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-03 footer_n.gif

BMA officials meet to discuss flooding in Bangkok

BANGKOK, 3 October 2015 (NNT) - Bangkok Metropolitan Administration officials related to the drainage and sewerage works met today to discuss ways to drain water from various areas in the capital.

The meeting follows continuous heavy downpour as a result of Tropical Storm Mujigae. Many areas in Bangkok have experienced heavy traffic jams, while some areas have been inaccessible to commuters.

Deputy Governor of Bangkok Amorn Kitchawengkul and related agencies will be going to the Ratchada area to check on the water drainage, traffic and public facilitation situation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-03 footer_n.gif

Not flooded but am sure many are - water covering part of roads and they are above many home first floor levels in old moban. The issue for those not flooded really is the extremely show drainage. Not much room for more.

Not flooded but am sure many are - water covering part of roads and they are above many home first floor levels in old moban. The issue for those not flooded really is the extremely show drainage. Not much room for more.

I hope you don't get flooded, but if it gets close make sure you switch of the power to the groups on the lower floor. We did that in 2011 when we were flooded. Then you can still go on with your life (uncomfortable). Also check if there is stuff you can move a floor up.

Probably all stupid advice that you already know just giving it just in case.

The only luck is that this wont be a prolonged flooding like in 2011, but the damage could be as bad.

Best time of the year.

Yesterday while I was coming back from work on my bike I crossed a tuk tuk packed with tourists that was slowing down to go through a deeply flooded dip. Thankfully I had time to accelerate before crossing in too and get that joyful crowd wet to the bone. Scandinavians I suppose, given how blond they were and the exotic insults they screamed at me.

Edited by Calach

Best time of the year.

Yesterday while I was coming back from work on my bike I crossed a tuk tuk packed with tourists that was slowing down to go through a deeply flooded dip. Thankfully I had time to accelerate before crossing in too and get that joyful crowd wet to the bone. Scandinavians I suppose, given how blond they were and the exotic insults they screamed at me.

It's a shame you didn't fall off and injure yourself in the process.

Perhaps we'll have better luck next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best time of the year.

Yeah. Pity you didn't come off and break your neck.

Best time of the year.

It's a shame you didn't fall off and injure yourself in the process.

Perhaps we'll have better luck next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clown boy is suffering enough. leave him alone to his own misery.

Every time it rains it floods. Every time it floods the department of highways issues a statement. Every time a statement is issued, money is allocated to fix the problem. Every time the money is distributed, offshore bank accounts grow.

Next flood - same same.

Ah the land of smiles!

Yes i've seen many roads underwater in the morning today. The temperature today was great though!

It's time the Thai rent some experts to teach them all about drains. Drainlids in highways, under sidewalks they are all crappy. In our new moobaan many concrete lids are broken but not replaced, they just wait untill a truck sinks through it i guess. Probably it'll be the garbagetruck who won't come for a week then (like many times before).

But also there's so much sand laying on the roads which will flow in the drains and the plastic bags of course.

Every saturday night around midnight they open all the drains under Chaeng wattana with big cranes. They need constant maintenance i guess, have seen it many times being done. There are huge drainage systems under the road, just look at the size of those concrete lids, a car will easy fit in.

Traffic Police Division has urged motorists to exercise caution behind the wheel!

Since when have Thai motorists EVER exercised anything while behind the wheel other than their mobile phones?

Deputy Governor of Bangkok and related agencies will be going to the Ratchada area to check on the water drainage, traffic and public facilitation situation (by helicopter)!

Yes i've seen many roads underwater in the morning today. The temperature today was great though!

It's time the Thai rent some experts to teach them all about drains. Drainlids in highways, under sidewalks they are all crappy. In our new moobaan many concrete lids are broken but not replaced, they just wait untill a truck sinks through it i guess. Probably it'll be the garbagetruck who won't come for a week then (like many times before).

But also there's so much sand laying on the roads which will flow in the drains and the plastic bags of course.

Every saturday night around midnight they open all the drains under Chaeng wattana with big cranes. They need constant maintenance i guess, have seen it many times being done. There are huge drainage systems under the road, just look at the size of those concrete lids, a car will easy fit in.

Your a hero in my book I cannot see how anyone can stand to live in BKK with its rainy season flooding, traffic jams and in turn pollution, noise, crime, bombings, mobs of tourists and all the problems listed above thrown in for good measure. My hat goes off to one and all. Please don't come north.

G. from Chiang Mai