Catch amissing croc, earn 1,000 Baht

webfact

Catch a Missing Croc, Earn 1,000 Baht
By Khaosod English

1444030309_croc.02.jpg
A search team on the lookout for one of six crocodiles still missing from the Thep Nimit farm in Ratchaburi province.

RATCHABURI — A crocodile farm owner in Ratchaburi province has offered a 1,000-baht bounty for each of six crocodiles that escaped his farm last week while the hunt continues for the runaway reptiles.

At Chinpinkliao, owner of Thep Nimit farm, said a number of crocodiles escaped from his property Friday, an escape he blamed on a migrant Myanmar worker who didn’t take proper precautions while cleaning the croc pen and enabled their escape through a wastewater pipe into a nearby rice field.

“It was the worker’s carelessness” that allowed the crocodiles to slip out through the pipe, At said. He told reporters today that he was able to recover all but six of the absconded crocodiles. At’s farm, which also doubles as pig farm, has about 200 crocodiles, officials said.

According to At, he has called on local authorities and expert crocodile catchers from Chaiyanat province to help find the animals.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1444029987

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-05

1,000 baht per croc??? Bugger that low pay for crocodile hunting. I would expect a minimum 50,000 baht per croc.

Young adult crocs are only worth about 10,000-12,000 Baht per croc. That's a pretty generous reward for an AVERAGE 10,000 Baht croc.

Where's Crocodile Dundee when you need him whistling.gif

I doubt any locals will claim the reward if they catch them

Too busy selling them for a lot more cheesy.gif

Finders keepers losers weepers. tongue.png

Another newspaper reports that dozens of baby crocodiles escaped, and that farm didn't bother covering the drainage pipes with grates (which is how the baby crocs escaped when their pits flooded).

About 15 years ago there was a very heavy rainstorm which caused a lot of local flooding. About 3 kms from my village was a pig farm that also had 8 crocodiles in a pond.The pond overflowed and the crocodiles all escaped and made it to a river that flows past my village.

The crocs were never caught, and as they live to a ripe old age I expect they're still around. As the river flows into it I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in the large lake just South of Buriram City.