Going to Vientiane, Laos

DividendGuy

Hello Everyone.

My wife and I will be going to Vientiane, Laos on February 3 to February 10, 2016. We are not too knowledgeable about Vientiane and are looking for a hotel room somewhere near the main fountain or closer to the main river area. Our budget is around US$ 50 per night, can you recommend a decent hotel in these two areas? Thanks for your help.

To Tonray:

Thanks for your reply, but I am not familiar with the areas or hotels there, and more specifically we don't want to stay in an area that is not convenient or away from the main tourist areas as we will be mostly walking. I will not be renting a motorcycle this trip because I am still recovering from a broken hand after a drunk ran into me in Phuket. Again thanks, I will have a look at Agoda.com.

To Tonray:

Thanks for your reply, but I am not familiar with the areas or hotels there, and more specifically we don't want to stay in an area that is not convenient or away from the main tourist areas as we will be mostly walking. I will not be renting a motorcycle this trip because I am still recovering from a broken hand after a drunk ran into me in Phuket. Again thanks, I will have a look at Agoda.com.

If you are going for tourism...I would try to dissaude you...Vientiane is a dull, dull place. But...if you absolutely must....a nice hotel near the river is your best bet. Agoda will show a map of each hotel location AND also traveler comments on said location....much better than us hacks here ..our main reason for Vientiane is the Embassy and Visa app process and we know little except that you can use Thai baht in the convenience stores to buy Beer Lao.

To Tonray:

Thanks for your comment regarding Vientiane as being "a dull, dull place", but my wife has made the flight reservations and I am sorry to say that I am locked in going there because it is her turn to chose a destination to visit. I want to continue to be in my wife's good grace as you have probably have guessed that it was her choice to travel there. I guess, I will have to indulge myself with a lot of Beer Lao while there.

Hello,

I've been to Vientiane several times now and I love the city.

It might not be the most exciting but you can have a good

time there. There are also some good restaurants (French

and Indian as well as Lao) there, plus the Lao people are

nice and friendly.

Have fun!

dont use agoda use booking.com as u can cancel the booking up to 2 days before at NO CHARGE

Note agoda and booking.com are owned by Priceline.

there tons of nice places to stay within a 10 minute walk of the fountain closer to the river for $25-40

PS great city to walk around ( although does get hot in the middle of the day)

But much nicer to rent a motorcycle or bicycle

For 2-3 days never found it boring

To Canopus1969, Too, and Puketrichard

Thanks fellows for your comments. I will have a look at your suggestions, and as stated before, I am not familiar with the new Vientiane as it has been many, many years since we were there so, our information is outdated. We want to stay in a convenient main area (preferably near the main fountain or near the river area) at a decent, clean hotel, as we will be mostly walking. The reason why we are trying to book early is; we will be there for a few day during Chinese New Year and we are not sure how crowded and difficult it will be to get a decent room during that time.

Try Malinamphu (it may be listed as Mali Namphu), very close to the fountain, clean, Thai-run, quite pleasant, especially for couples, decent breakfast included. Haven't stayed there in a few years, but I can't imagine it's over $40 a night. Rooms aren't that large...if you want larger rooms, though still a nice hotel, for around $30-35, try Lao Inter City...the only catch is, it's about 1k or so from the fountain (but right on the river). You can find both on Agoda. Also, you can see the map location of any property on Agoda.

Also, don't listen to those who tell you Vientiane is "dull"...it's a very pleasant town to spend a few days in, and there are definitely things to see. People who write "dull" about Vientiane are probably looking for girlie bars or other types of nightlife, and yes, it is deficient in that area, haha.

Vientiane is a nice place to visit for a few days. Did I mention a few days? You will see that after that it will have run it's course, that being said the area aroung the fountain, (mix) and a few bars restaurants are quite nice and then comes the lao beer.

You may want to take the 31/2 hour mini van or bus ride to vang viang, beautiful stunning scenery.

And it is not a party town anymore, I am elderly and loved it.

So don't be shy after a few days in vientiane, and take a side trip.

Inter City Boutique Hotel (on the river across from night market)

If you only like hotels with standard chain style rooms and amenities, then read no further.

If you might like a beautifully decorated, slightly funky and quirky place with a lot of character then this place is worth a look.

The public areas and hallways of this old style hotel are beautifully decorated with Asian antiques and statuary. Floors are wood and many rooms are wood paneled as well. The rooms are also furnished with period chairs and tables though the mattresses are modern and comfortable.

The staff is friendly and helpful and a nice breakfast is provided in the breakfast room. It is well maintained and very clean.

I stayed there two nights with my GF along with my sister and brother-in-law 2 years ago. We all really enjoyed it.

To Staastrajaa, Weblo, and ddave.

Thank each one of you for the information on the hotels and Vang Viang. We will check on each hotel you mentioned to see if it fits our needs. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about going to Vientiane, but it actually might end being an enjoyable trip...again thanks.

Vansana Riverside Hotel and Vientiane Garden Hotel is decent hotels at around 50usd per night. They also have pool. Quite nice at that time of the year. Also going around with bicycle in Vientine is easy and cheap to rent

Anywhere near Bor Pen Yang bar is fine. The main bar, with a nice rooftop view, and right on the riverfront strip, across from the little night market and walking distance to some nice international food places.

Vansana Riverside Hotel and Vientiane Garden Hotel is decent hotels at around 50usd per night. They also have pool. Quite nice at that time of the year. Also going around with bicycle in Vientine is easy and cheap to rent

------------------------------

I just spent 3 days in the Vientiane Garden hotel.

$128 for 3 days stay, paid in advance. They accept VISA cards through www.booking.com

Yes it has a pool, but weather was cool and rained while I was there.

If it's sunny, nice area to sit in chairs around the pool.

Was a family with children there, and the children did swim, but frankly the weather was really too cool

This was 12th to 14th October.2015.

Friendly staff, clean rooms.

But although I was told they had WIFI internet access, for 3 days I could not get logged in to the internet although they said I was using the correct password.

If you're U.S. citizen they had MLB playoffs on television there.

Yes they accept that you pay with card either visa or master but with 3% charge (all hotels in vientine do this) when you pay onsite. Dont know if this apply if you pay in advance

For some reason the hotels in vientine feels overpriced a equal Hotel in Thailand would be max half price also other citys ive been in Laos has been much cheaper

Wi-fi is not so good there but i could log on When i stayed there last time.

Buy wi-fi is normally slow and unreliable in all Vientine. Easiest and best way to get internet is thruu 3G to my experiance atleast

Close to mainstreet and river you got a good burger place close called rays burger also a great indian place if you like that as change to local food

Phuketrichard, Johnny396, jspill, IMA_FARANG:

Thanks guys for your comments and information, and I do appreciate any info on special restaurants you liked while there. These will be the places we will eat at while we are in Vientiane too. Also, we will be eating the local food, but do any of you know of a decent pizza restaurant?

Pizza da roby is good! Also got la provencale (buy pricy) and via via run by a Italian or french lady down at the river 6-7 blocks down from night market. Also got some fine dining Italian places in main roads but not worth the price to me atleast!