Investment club idea..

hawkeye76

My husband was in a similar club for a time in the U.S. and they had a lot of fun. Each week one member would research and present about a selected stock or topic. He spent about 5 - 6 hours each week just getting ready for each club meeting. Every year they had a big annual party for their wives to "celebrate" their successes. The style of the party was in line with how well they'd done with their portfolio for the year. Usually the parties were very nice, with free flow of champagne, etc. One year they didn't do very well and we had the party at a McDonald's.

sounds like a great way to get ripped off. will you personally handle the money?

Hi HooHaa

Not sure why anyone would want to rip off fellow foreigners for 10-15k.. Not too much money..

But yes, they money is invested in the group, as a group.

No one else would have access to the money, and my idea would be to open up a new investment account specifically for us.

Good idea, and I like the social/hobby aspect as well.

This being Thaivisa though, I doubt this topic will have a long life.. wink.png

Hi Winnie

I personally like the social aspect also.

Think it could be nice spending some time being social and discussing money/investments, more than discussing farang prices, visa problems, and/or whatever.. ;-)

My husband was in a similar club for a time in the U.S. and they had a lot of fun. Each week one member would research and present about a selected stock or topic. He spent about 5 - 6 hours each week just getting ready for each club meeting. Every year they had a big annual party for their wives to "celebrate" their successes. The style of the party was in line with how well they'd done with their portfolio for the year. Usually the parties were very nice, with free flow of champagne, etc. One year they didn't do very well and we had the party at a McDonald's.

Hi NancyL

Sounds like your husbond would be a perfect fit for this ;-)

And i agree in what your husbond`s club did. Exactly what i have in mind.

And for anyone that would be thinking scam, or whatever..

I selected a fairly low amount in terms of investing, as this should be social, fun, but still serious, as im planning to make our money grow.

Also everyone in the group, is always more than welcome to stop by my home anytime (east San Sai/ outer ring rd), if you want to see our shares traded live ;-)

Happy to see some interest.

I like if the people that are interested, can follow this topic or send me a message, because after i return from holiday, we can get in touch.

Edited by hawkeye76

Bugger - I'm too far away to be able to join in. The idea sounds very good - though of course some details would need to be put in place, so that everything is honest and "above-board".

Personally, I'd love to meet up once in a while to acquire a better understanding of the many procedures regarding investing.

......and at 15-25K, it ain't a big deal. My gal has just blown 25K on a trip to Singapore.

A good initiative.

Good luck OP - and hope it gets off the ground. biggrin.png

I do hope that this post does not get side tracked or as Winnie has suggested wound up quickly.

Unfortunately there have been some prominent local expats involved in boiler room/financial advisor type activities and several older expats got badly burned.

I think if the OP put more details out about club governance, aims etc that would be good. Particularly any way to ensure the "social" aspect always has priority over the financial side. Whilst the amounts being talked about are relatively small one would not for example want to see a vulnerable person, or addictive gambling type personality, or someone of poor financial means make a series of 25k baht "investments" or "bets".

Perhaps to make it more Thailand focussed or even CM focussed as well as provide something new and in a small way reduce the shark element there could be some focus on the SET? If its only play money for social gatherings this would be a novelty and keep one involved as a social being only, learn something new about Thailand (as far as risks, Asean impact etc) and have personal financial investments if one has them (as opposed to "club" social decisions) in offshore exchanges so the boundaries are clear.

It's a great idea with only a small "investment"and the replies above fall into two categories...

The "nay sayers" who, by definition are negative. They are entitled to their opinions and entitled to chose not to join such a club.

The more positive responders are my type of people. The idea is proposed as a bit of fun with the potential of a small loss or profit and the suggested cost is only 10 - 15k. If at the end of the year some new friends have been made and enough money made for a good Xmas feast then it would work for me. Sadly I've moved down to Bangkok for a bit but on my return I'll certainly be in touch and see if there is room for one more at the table.

Best of luck to all that join in but as they often put at the end of financial ads "your investment may go down as well as up" thumbsup.gif

Don't people need to be authorised and qualified to be involved with, and offering, financial advice in any form in Thailand ?

And a company would need to be formed etc?

This is a little of what I meant by being side tracked.

As far as I can see no one is offering an arrangement that provides financial advice having said that I somewhat share your concerns based on past local history and hence perhaps we need greater focus on social aspect.

Again, local history clearly demonstrates that Financial Advisors neither need to be qualified, authorised, or dare I say "competent". There is no adequate regulatory body or real enforcement.

I do think this has a lot of promise as a social club with a common interest in investments. No different than say a social photography club, which may or may not have professional members who are not "qualified" or "authorised" but are competent, articles of association, different equipment exposure etc, The key thing here should be social sharing of experiences, developments, discussion of a common interest.....much like any club

As said, clear parameters from the get go focussing in social aspect, full agreement by members and perhaps some disclosure requirements to build some trust/protections may see this as a real social goer.

If there is no Thai and/or social element then you might as well join some investment forums or discussion groups online there are plenty of them.

Edited by mamborobert