Where will the family put me when I am too old to care for?

fang37

In expat countries, retirement villages/aged care homes is a growth industry.

In Thailand, respect for the elderly is a tradition.

Now, both husband & wife are working full-time.

Before they burn me, where will I spend my final years?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abusive/insulting post and responses also removed.

post-109645-0-38229400-1445087628_thumb.

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

You may well find that after you have fallen asleep one night, you get to cuddle up with a King Cobra (or similar), who will then later be dispatched as evidence and that'll be the end of that.

Can think of worse ways to go than in your sleep.

You may well find that after you have fallen asleep one night, you get to cuddle up with a King Cobra (or similar), who will then later be dispatched as evidence and that'll be the end of that.

Can think of worse ways to go than in your sleep.

+1.......I want to go in my sleep just like my Uncle did..........unfortunately, the 32 passengers in the bus he was driving were not so lucky..gigglem.gif

In Thailand it is the daughters who look after the parents , so start reproducing. The more daughters you have then they can shunt you around between them and the chore of wiping your bum and face is shared more evenly ..

There are nursing homes in Thailand...just Google to find them.

I have looked into these.

The problems are that these care homes are like full time hotels for old people that are still mobile and can still look after themselves to a point. What worries me is; if I became completely immobile and needed 24 hour care. Hope I would die before reaching that level.

The wife,and our son here in Thailand ,lets hope it does not come to that.

The same for me.

My wife's Mum died in her sleep last Saturday night.

She has been with us and well looked after for 8 years.

She had a good send off and I hope the same happens with me.

My wife says she will take care of me. I believe her.No plan B at the moment.

Same here. If my wife passes before me, and I still have my mental faculties, I have a nice home in the rural North and I know my wife's extended family well. I have a Usufruct contract in place, and my step son and I get along like father and son. I can hire a member of the family to care for me.

Of course there is the Pattaya option, although I wouldn't have a condo with my 'caretaker' above the second floor.

Edited by connda

This is a question for everyone everywhere in the world - It is even more of a pressing problem in the Western World where care and facilities are extremely expensive - the family stresses are great.

At least here, the labor costs are far cheaper.

As to family - I guess people will mostly get back what they have given out or if outside the home, what they can afford and that goes for east as well as west...

Expansive topic - no good answer [though you might want to make some choices while you are able] as to where you might want to spend your dementia, disabled years…