After Oslo, Helsinki Kills Double & Triple TR Visas

Seems the day of the perpetual "tourist" may be coming to an end!

Why, if the METV gives 6 months like the double entry did where's the big difference? Triple's we already hard to come by. Laos routinely offers 2 and 3 multi entries in a row, who's to say they wont offer repeat METV's the same way? The OP makes no reference to in/out exemption runners. Is that what you are talking about? That would be off topic is so.

• Like 1

It is foolish when either "side" in this generalizes the other, by trying to pidgenhole them into stereotypes. Exapts in Thailand are a diverse lot.

From my personal experience, the reason expats have Thai GFs, is because they are better partners, in most if not all respects, than anyone they ever dated and/or lived with in the West. That is my experince (I am approaching 50), and that of many I have spoken to on the topic, older or otherwise.

let me guess, by "better" you mean more traditional in a more submissive way?

Why, if the METV gives 6 months like the double entry did where's the big difference? Triple's we already hard to come by. Laos routinely offers 2 and 3 multi entries in a row, who's to say they wont offer repeat METV's the same way? The OP makes no reference to in/out exemption runners. Is that what you are talking about? That would be off topic is so.

Because all embassies so far have restricted application to their residents:When you have to travel across the world to get it, then be asked for a proof of job and $6000; it is a big difference.

Edited by Kitsune

Well it kinda makes sense why over complicate things with too many variations on visa types....i believe the UK does the same with tourist visas.... its a 6 months visa whether you intended visit is 1 week or 1 month

Makes life simpler. Thailand can give a 6 month visa even if you only stay for a week. It doesnt cost any more to issue it (They would charge more agreed) and if necessary it can be cancelled on the spot

Well it kinda makes sense why over complicate things with too many variations on visa types....i believe the UK does the same with tourist visas.... its a 6 months visa whether you intended visit is 1 week or 1 month

Makes life simpler. Thailand can give a 6 month visa even if you only stay for a week. It doesnt cost any more to issue it (They would charge more agreed) and if necessary it can be cancelled on the spot

How is traveling 24 hours back to Europe pay for hotels and stay there a couple of days to get a Thai visa, then travel back another day to Thailand, then having to show $6000 and a job simpler?

It's possible it'll be proof of X amount of funds OR proof of a job, not both. We'll have to wait and see.

Like how retirement visa extensions require a fixed sum OR a smaller sum monthly.

And people who got a red stamp at Vientiane were asked to show bank statements, never 'proof of a job'.

Or those asked to show 10k / 20k at borders on visa waiver / tourist visas.

Simply showing money was always enough 'proof' that you don't work in Thailand.

That's a lot of paperwork if they require both, and would they even understand some of the 'proof' a self-employed online businessman would show - their domain name registration papers? An invoice from HostGator?

And why would they refuse an unemployed person with well over $6000 in their bank account... I'm speculating like anyone else at this point but I can't see it happening.

For the embassies and consulates one suspects stream lining the system, ie reducing the visa types and increasing the cost of visa represents a signifcant cost saving and makes life simpler for them certainly,

it also makes things life simpler for a toursit who intends travelling around SEA for a few months, a single visa good for 6 months come and go as you please, no worries about extending visa etc

Also this sort of visa is useful to the O&G who take their time off in Thailand, granted they will not get the benefit of the full 6 months, but they may get 3 to 4 months out of 1 visa

• Like 1

It's possible it'll be proof of X amount of funds OR proof of a job, not both. We'll have to wait and see.

Like how retirement visa extensions require a fixed sum OR a smaller sum monthly.

And people who got a red stamp at Vientiane were asked to show bank statements, never 'proof of a job'.

Or those asked to show 10k / 20k at borders on visa waiver / tourist visas.

Simply showing money was always enough 'proof' that you don't work in Thailand.

That's a lot of paperwork if they require both, and would they even understand some of the 'proof' a self-employed online businessman would show - their domain name registration papers? An invoice from HostGator?

And why would they refuse an unemployed person with well over $6000 in their bank account... I'm speculating like anyone else at this point but I can't see it happening.

They are for different reasons.

• Job = reason to go back to home country.
  • Funds = proof they can fund their stay in Thailand.

IF the METV is only available from home countries and IF they want proof of a job it's pretty clear that one of the reasons for change is to stop people living here long term on tourist visas. The other problem people might have is getting back to back METV's. It's likely that won't be possible or limited.

There are enough clues so far to suggest that it's not just about affording to stay 6 to 8 months but to have a reason to return home. That's why an unemployed person with cash in the bank might be refused.

whistling.gif There are people (foreigners) living in Thailand who have the time and the funds to travel around South East Asia as Tourists....seeing such places as Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam, or another country while using Thailand as a "home base" for those travels.

A tourist visa valid for 6months and allowing 3 or even 4 re-entries to Thailand would allow such a tourist to travel around Southeast Asia visiting each country he or she wanted to and then returning to his or her "home base" in Thailand between the trips.

To sell such a tourist visa for 5000 or 6000 Baht for a 6 month's period could be a revenue earner for Thailand and therefore makes good economic sense for Thailand and Thai tourism.

Not every "tourist" coming to Thailand is looking for a job in Thailand or is a "sex tourist' coming to Thailand only to get laid.

As I said above, there may be those who really what to see South East Asia and are actually interested in experiencing the other cultures of South east Asia as a real tourist while using Thailand as their "home base" for their tourist trips outside of Thailand.

A 6 month tourist visa with at least 3 entry and re-entries in a that period could be just what the "quality tourist" Thai immigration claims it wants to attract wants and would be willing to spend his or her money on.

But such a concept requires forward looking "out of the box" thinking by Thai officials, and that is not what you normally see from Thai government officials is it?

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

But in UK, they get income support, housing benefit, free school, free healthcare, etc, so it"s make sense to restrict access

Not really. A tourist is a tourist and has booked his ticket with return flights, has a valid medical insurance (Travel Insurance). A student that is going to study in the UK has also paid in advance for housing, the school including tuition fees, a valid medical insurance.

Even during my time in Thailand (None-O-M) due to my 3y old Thai boy, I have a valid medical insurance, a liability insurance and on top a Travel Insurance and it costs me 400 Euros monthly just to be on the save side.

The PDF file for Australia and Germany links are just the standard announcement seen everywhere, they dont specify requirements

Denmark added to the list (they kill 2&3 entries TR visa)

http://thaiembassy.de/site/index.php/konsularwesen-visa-beglaubigungen/wie-man-ein-visum-beantragt

2 and 3 entries will not be issued after 12 Nov 2015.

5000 Euros must be shown to get the METV.

Only Single or the METV can be applied after 13 Nov 2015.

I have checked on several Thai Embassy websites including the one in Singapore and the note is as following:

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Singaporean nationals or Long-Term Pass Holder of Singapore.Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Singaporean nationals or Long-Term Pass Holder of Singapore.

I guess only single entry TV will be issued by nearby embassies after 13 Nov 2015.

But in UK, they get income support, housing benefit, free school, free healthcare, etc, so it"s make sense to restrict access

Not really. A tourist is a tourist and has booked his ticket with return flights, has a valid medical insurance (Travel Insurance). A student that is going to study in the UK has also paid in advance for housing, the school including tuition fees, a valid medical insurance.

Even during my time in Thailand (None-O-M) due to my 3y old Thai boy, I have a valid medical insurance, a liability insurance and on top a Travel Insurance and it costs me 400 Euros monthly just to be on the save side.

I was referring of the 50000 Thai living and working in the UK, these are 72% women working in bars, restaurants, massage parlors and sex industry. How did they get there? They have zero qualification and certainly did not entered UK with a proper valid working visa but certainly with a TOURIST or student visa.

For the biggest majority of 'tourists' it's not going to make any difference. There has been no mention of stopping visa exempt or visa on arrival. Those two fit nearly all tourists who have a 3 or 4 week holiday in Thailand.

Generally someone who wants a 6 month holiday will be aware of the costs and conditions and act accordingly.

This isn't a get at anyone post by the way, but the days of arriving in Thailand on a 30 day entry and deciding to stay for a year are slowly disappearing. Sure it will be sad and hard for some to take in but that's the way it is.

As has been posted by others it's really no different to the requirements for my wife coming to UK for a holiday with me. Proof of work here, cash in the bank, hotel bookings etc.

• Like 2

For the biggest majority of 'tourists' it's not going to make any difference. There has been no mention of stopping visa exempt or visa on arrival. Those two fit nearly all tourists who have a 3 or 4 week holiday in Thailand.

Generally someone who wants a 6 month holiday will be aware of the costs and conditions and act accordingly.

This isn't a get at anyone post by the way, but the days of arriving in Thailand on a 30 day entry and deciding to stay for a year are slowly disappearing. Sure it will be sad and hard for some to take in but that's the way it is.

As has been posted by others it's really no different to the requirements for my wife coming to UK for a holiday with me. Proof of work here, cash in the bank, hotel bookings etc.

Comparing THL with a G7 country?

"But in UK, they get income support, housing benefit, free school, free healthcare, etc, so it"s make sense to restrict access:"

They only restrict access to legitimate visitors/ potential residents. The third world gets away with anything provided that they can sneak in. Sorry for the rant, but it really annoys me the hoops (+cost) we have to jump through to get our legitimate Thai spouse into the UK when others not only do it for free but get subsidised once there.

"But in UK, they get income support, housing benefit, free school, free healthcare, etc, so it"s make sense to restrict access:"

They only restrict access to legitimate visitors/ potential residents. The third world gets away with anything provided that they can sneak in. Sorry for the rant, but it really annoys me the hoops (+cost) we have to jump through to get our legitimate Thai spouse into the UK when others not only do it for free but get subsidised once there.

"Third world" as a term has been obsolete for 15 years.

Marriage has been a known route for illegal immigration for decades.

I was referring of the 50000 Thai living and working in the UK, these are 72% women working in bars, restaurants, massage parlors and sex industry. How did they get there? They have zero qualification and certainly did not entered UK with a proper valid working visa but certainly with a TOURIST or student visa.

and many possible went to the UK because they had a local sponsor which they met in Pattaya or some of the other Thai areas and possible the marriage or relation failed. Met two Thai prostitutes (30-40 years) in Berlin at a local pub and I had a long cat with them and they both have been married tp a German.

If they entered on a toursit visa or student visa, and overstayed and are working illegally they will not get recourse to public funds or benefits...

in the case of students under tier 4 studies, they can legally work upto 10 hours a week during the term, and during term holidays 20 hours a week, but they still have no recourse to public funds or services

So give it a rest will you...the fact is persons on a toursit visa to the UK are not entitled to any public funded services or benefits as you said originally

• Like 2

Allowances etc don't apply to tourists. Illegal 'refugees' maybe.

Tourists here or UK pay for evreything they get.

If Thailand changes the rules on visas, in my mind to stop long term illegal working, then they are entitled too.

What's wrong with making money from tourists ? Every country in the world does it. Including UK.

Is that comforting to you?

Small minds...

Yeah I don't understand the gleeful excitement from oncearugge and elvajero who liked his post.

METVs could actually make it easier to be a perpetual tourist, depending on what actually happens after Nov 13.

It's true. People with these visas could just return to their home country [or in my case, the country which issues me my passport] when it expires and get a new one. Instead of flying out and obtaining a new visa after every 3 months, you fly "home" once every 9 or 10 months and get the METV. Cost probably works out the same.

• Like 1

Yes you could fly back to get continuing METV's but don't be surprised or annoyed when you have to prove work in your own country, some consulates and embassy conditions appear to be asking for it, or prove you're not working in Thailand

Or just get a single entry tourist visa from your own country and have a trip every 2 or 3 months for a week in a neigbouring Southeastern Asian country. Then come back into Thailand on new single entry tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt, repeat cycle until you are bored and go home for the summer! No need to prove finances as you are touring around the region.

If they entered on a toursit visa or student visa, and overstayed and are working illegally they will not get recourse to public funds or benefits...

in the case of students under tier 4 studies, they can legally work upto 10 hours a week during the term, and during term holidays 20 hours a week, but they still have no recourse to public funds or services

So give it a rest will you...the fact is persons on a toursit visa to the UK are not entitled to any public funded services or benefits as you said originally

Don"t be silly: you know very well they later on get proper paperwork, because Europe is so generous with migrants.

The things is, it's never reciprocated when Europeans go abroad

It's true. People with these visas could just return to their home country [or in my case, the country which issues me my passport] when it expires and get a new one. Instead of flying out and obtaining a new visa after every 3 months, you fly "home" once every 9 or 10 months and get the METV. Cost probably works out the same.

I just been to Bali to get a 3 entries TR visa for 9 months.

How does flying back to France and paying 3 times the flight price, and spending 5 times the time to fly to France, and spending 5 times the money in accommodation in Paris to get the same 9 months can work out "the same" please explain.

Yes you could fly back to get continuing METV's but don't be surprised or annoyed when you have to prove work in your own country, some consulates and embassy conditions appear to be asking for it, or prove you're not working in Thailand

Not really, all they ask is in Europe for 5000 Euros, a return ticket, onward tickets and hotel stay (the first stop).

Most tourists have that options sorted out already becayse they plan well in advance.

I just been to Bali to get a 3 entries TR visa for 9 months.

How does flying back to France and paying 3 times the flight price, and spending 5 times the time to fly to France, and spending 5 times the money in accommodation in Paris to get the same 9 months can work out "the same" please explain.

Well. for me it would cost about 400 GBP to fly to the UK once a year if I booked a few months in advance, and I would stay in a friend's spare room in central London for a couple of day and fly back.... 3 flights out of BKK, with one having to spend a couple of nights in a hotel, plus extension fees at IO would work out roughly the same.

I retract what I initially asserted about the possibility of Laos issuing consecutive METV's as based on current chatter METV's will only be available from home countries so unless you were from Laos my comment would be inaccurate.

• Like 1

Who cares, if they make it too hard i'll just go elsewhere

and take my money with me, i have no attachment to

Thailand, built a house, got kicked out when it was finished,

managed to sell the car, gifted the motor cycle, now i do 6

months in the tropics, 6 months in Europe, i want to own

nothing except the money in a (secure off shore) bank.

So all this bitching over what visa to get, visa runs bull

dust, should i buy a condo,, it's all too much, i'm so happy

to be a nomad 6 month's of the year in South East Asia,

wherever i lay my hat,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Who cares, if they make it too hard i'll just go elsewhere

and take my money with me, i have no attachment to

Thailand, built a house, got kicked out when it was finished,

managed to sell the car, gifted the motor cycle, now i do 6

months in the tropics, 6 months in Europe, i want to own

nothing except the money in a (secure off shore) bank.

So all this bitching over what visa to get, visa runs bull

dust, should i buy a condo,, it's all too much, i'm so happy

to be a nomad 6 month's of the year in South East Asia,

wherever i lay my hat,,,,,,,

Thailand does not rely on or need your money!

Any Thai visa issues are easily resolved by buying into the TE visa.

Wherever you "lay the hat" as a European you will need a visa in S.E.A.!