Window tint percentage?

Badrabbit

I have no film on my windscreen - I like to be able to see at night. Even most clear film distorts a bit (some don't have a problem with it, I do).

On the sides and rear I think we went 40% but I'm sure my missus said she wanted 60%. Either way, it'll do.

Agree with the front, think the side is a bit dark still. 20 to 30 is as much as I'd go, maybe 30 rear and 20 front sides.

She has confirmed its 60%. To be honest, it's not too dark. Very glad not to be compromising my family's safety by screwing up the forward vision too. And no, I have never worn sunglasses.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was offered free tinting on a recent used car purchase & all my Thai friends suggested 90%! Ended up with something like 60% on the back & 30% on the front side windows. It's still way, way too dark - thank goodness for the parking lot attendants or I'd never be able to back up after dark. I'm with those who prefer little or no tint, but then I drive mostly at night.

Cheers for all the helpful posts and cheers to the minority for making me laugh, safety is a big thing with me so I'll choose wisely.

sound advice and it needs to be with Thailand moving up to second place in the world for the deadliest roads. I seriously hope the General tackles this problem soon, start paying the cops a decent salary and get them out enforcing the traffic laws.

Dealer wanted to give me 70% and was a bit surprised when I opted for 40%

Visibility perfect in the day. I do not drive so much at night but seems fine except picking up motor cyclists with no lights or pedestrians in dark clothes but I think that would be a problem whatever the tint

There is a full report on You Tube by a Malaysian Company. Ive had them on Jags years ago "Sun Dim", O.K.. till you went into heavy shadow from the sunlight or entered a tunnel ,the reaction was too slow.The one on You Tubes much faster , but doesn't seem to go very clear at night.

One post expressing disrespect for the Royal Thai police removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific
locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or
any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Here's a couple of photos that show the difference between 3M crystalline 40% and carbon ceramic 30%:

3M 40% on left, open door on right:

post-163537-0-08282100-1445741991_thumb.

Open door on left, carbon ceramic 30% (Huper Optik C70) on right:

post-163537-0-70295000-1445742040_thumb.

Both taken with the same camera (iPhone6), same time of day, no editing other than cropping & shrinking.

Notice how the "open door" side of the 3M is overexposed? By comparison, the carbon ceramic has negligible difference to no film/glass at all - yet still blocks UV and IR (and stops you getting a sun tan).

PS. For those looking at V-Kool, note that Huper Optik is their premium film smile.png

Edited by IMHO

Don't put anything on the front screen except at the top from just above eye level.. Not sure what % I have on the doors, but I do know at times I must open the window at night when pulling out of a side road..

A strip of film on the front... how old school :P

Seriously, with good quality films, there's no reason not to tint the whole car - and get the benefits of UV&IR blocking without losing appreciable outward visibility.

Don't put anything on the front screen except at the top from just above eye level.. Not sure what % I have on the doors, but I do know at times I must open the window at night when pulling out of a side road..

A strip of film on the front... how old school tongue.png

Seriously, with good quality films, there's no reason not to tint the whole car - and get the benefits of UV&IR blocking without losing appreciable outward visibility.

I have been in rides with it on the screen, for 'my eyes' it ain't good..Soooo, the OP's question is regarding safety, 100% safety, thats why I ain't got it on the screen except just above eye level...smile.png It works great...BUT, I do have A/C in my ol' truck..tongue.png

It's not about AC - we all have that. It's about the sun streaming in through the windows and cooking you... Some of us have commutes that mean sun angles that do exactly that, for long periods of time, every day... Trust me, it's not a nice experience at all w/out film that's able to block UV & IR. Unless you only drive at midday, or at night, there has to be a compromise for comfort..

Edited by IMHO

The front windshield is double laminated in manufacturing, more then all other windows which are only tempered glass except the rear as well, because of this it prevents nearly all UV penetration and provides IR blocking as well to maximum strength as glass in and of itself does quite a bit to prevent both of those anyway, but laminated glass is optimal and as such requires no extra help. Thus tinting it provides very little extra benefit, relative to adversely affecting vision with distortion clear or not..

Edited by WarpSpeed

After driving here for many years I have no problem with the sun light, none. But the rest of the ride has darkish stuff on the glass, top 8 inches on the screen. But my front screen is Toyota, perhaps the difference eh...laugh.png

And how often are you on the road, stuck in traffic between 6AM - 9AM or 3PM - 6PM? :D

The point is, for you retired guys, you have the luxury of driving when you want - and I bet you don't normally drive at those times of days in order to avoid traffic anyway.. For the rest of us that still work, we have no choice.

Try driving a film-less car at those times of day if you don't believe me :P

The front windshield is double laminated in manufacturing, more then all other windows which are only tempered glass except the rear as well, because of this it prevents nearly all UV penetration and provides IR blocking as well to maximum strength as glass in and of itself does quite a bit to prevent both of those anyway, but laminated glass is optimal and as such requires no extra help. Thus tinting it provides very little extra benefit, relative to adversely affecting vision with distortion clear or not..

I'm sure they do block some of it, but let me tell you, add a good carbon ceramic film onto it the difference is dramatic, so the OEM glass ain't that good.

As I said, I have darkish tint all round. The side windows are single sheets of glass and so the film works. I have no problem from the front laminated screen (two sheets) cos the top have has film. If the sun is low I use the visor. Sun glasses to me is the sensible way to go if the sun is a problem, can take them off when dusk or at night, easy...

Back to the OP, screen film DOES change vision stuff at night, so it ain't the safety you are looking for in my opinion..smile.png

555, we could just go on and on I guess :P

Anyways, have a look back a page where I posted the two photos - one showing what I consider to be dangerous (the 3M 40%), the other I consider to be very safe (the Huper 30%).

My guess is you've never been in a car with a good carbon ceramic film (note: it's never given as a freebie).

After driving here for many years I have no problem with the sun light, none. But the rest of the ride has darkish stuff on the glass, top 8 inches on the screen. But my front screen is Toyota, perhaps the difference eh...laugh.png

And how often are you on the road, stuck in traffic between 6AM - 9AM or 3PM - 6PM? biggrin.png

The point is, for you retired guys, you have the luxury of driving when you want - and I bet you don't normally drive at those times of days in order to avoid traffic anyway.. For the rest of us that still work, we have no choice.

Try driving a film-less car at those times of day if you don't believe me tongue.png

I can't take your post seriously anyway since you generalized and lumped me in with the retired crowd when I work harder then most half my age on a daily basis tongue.png .

In fact speaking of Rx8's here's a set of oil injector lines I just fabricated for my Rx8 that I'm going to be offering as the OEM are junk and they are too critical and too hard to get to and no way to even see them to tell if they're failing not to have them nearly bullet proof. They're hybrid combining metallic and high pressure high temp PTFE plastic on the OMP end for visibility and pressure monitoring. They are intentionally different lengths to prevent the connections from being too thick and inaccessible all next to each other also they look sloppily bent but to make the angles you need to that's how they need to be bent.

BTW I used an exclusive multipurpose tool of my own design and manufacture that I both vacuum tested the injectors with, pressure tested the lines and oil primed them and the injectors, also bleeds brake and clutch lines and then when you have limited access to refilling locations like on the Rx8 rear end for example it also pumps fluid back into them to refill, it can also check vacuum systems for leaks with both pressure and vacuum or various vacuum operated switches and valves etc off or on the car, there is no multipurpose tool like it in the world. Maybe some day I'll be in a position to get it patented and you'll be seeing it in your local auto parts store, well here in the west anyway

post-83221-0-12393900-1445747249_thumb.j

post-83221-0-20621200-1445747042_thumb.j..

Anyway sorry for going off topic had the other topic on my mind but if you stop sitting on the dash board you don't have to worry about hot sun.. laugh.png Anyway you just want to avoid a sun tan because you're half Thai..tongue.png

Edited by WarpSpeed

Cheers for all the helpful posts and cheers to the minority for making me laugh, safety is a big thing with me so I'll choose wisely.

If your being offered free tint with a new car purchase, the dealer will almost certainly fit a cheap

quality film.

I would have them fit the sides and back screen with a 60% tint.

You may then want to consider buying yourself a high quality brand film for the front screen,

like for example 3M or Vcool as has been mentioned, but it isn't cheap!

20% is fine and no problem at night

+1

I believe I have 30% on the side and back but then again I don't drive at night anymore. smile.png When my windscreen was broken, after the dealer replaced it they added a 20% film on the front screen. Guess they thought the previous glass must have had it. It is a big help that small amount on the front. My previous car, which I bought 2nd hand, must've had 60-80% tint and had to run the windows down at an intersection to see anything at night.

well i had factor tint on my mustang is the states now this was great stuff . could not see in during sun light but you could see out fine at night , and if a hi beamer cam behind you it tinted down as to not blind you from his light spendy stuff but if they offer it here the photo light blocker here i would use that

I can only give a couple of observations on this tint issue.

Years ago my wife had 'film' fitted to her windscreen as she thought it was beautiful. I drove the car once at night and told her to take it off. It was downright dangerous. Now, I realise it could have ben cheap quality and regarding the percentage of tint - I have no idea, except it must have been high on this tint richter scale.

The point is, like many Thai's I suspect, she had it fitted for cosmetic reasons - not for any practical one. I'm sure that is not the OP's priority.

Secondly, I find these all round heavy tints annoying in trying to drive with courtesy and safety. You simply cannot see the other driver and I suspect many of us have tried to give way etc, but not being able to see if the other driver has acknowledged your intetion.

I have had a Vios for 4 years and it has a very mild tint on all the windows. (Anyone could see me as the driver in any direction, be it back, front or side). It seems sufficient for me, given we all have air-con.

So, the OP simply has to decide what are the main motives for the 'tint'. I would certainly err on the side of caution.

I walk to work and have no film on my glasses. I have yet to notice any problems.

How old are you? Time will tell..Eyes get sun burned too. and UV gets into your pupils and can damage the retina as well. Buuuuut if you do wear glasses and you should, make sure they cover the tops or they're worse then wearing nothing because looking through dark lenses dilates the pupils to let in more light so if it it comes around the glasses it lets more UV into the eye.