Is it me or Internet is bad here?

Kitsune

Hello

I am using 3BB wifi service in Bangkok and continuously have unloaded pages, never had a decent conversation using skype and that's just regular landlines calls (no video).

When I call support they say it's because of the weather, ie if there is a cloud, the connection will be bad, it's not their fault.

That would entails near 6 months of rainy season. Do we have to have bad Internet 6 months per year?

Do you experience the same?

Thanks

K

No, it's just fine here most of the time. I'm on 3BB in Hua Hin and I use skype for perfect voice calls.

I don't see what the weather has to do with it unless there's a power outage (sometimes they're caused by stroms - not sure why) which takes the whole thing offline, that's happened after a big storm and power cuts here but they normally get it working again within a few hours.

I suggest telling them to do a line check and to come out and rewire the cable from the road into your phone socket.

Edit : I just noticed you're talking about a '3BB wifi service', is this a public wifi service or a hard wired service with localised wifi from your own router ?

Edited by ukrules

I'm using AIS Fiber, but would like to ask you what package you're using? Considering that you're in the capital city you should have a stable connection to be able to have video calls when using Skype.

Is it possible that it's only a wrong setting?????

Can you give some more details, please?

Edited by lostinisaan

it's because of the weather

cheesy.gif They got new instructions!

Interesting to read that not only on ToT there are problems (see two other threads).

At least one customer call revealed that all international connections on ToT have/had problems.

The "weather" is more likely a hacker/cyberattack strom against Thailand and its censorship/eavesdropping plans.

I had problems in the last days (ToT).

Currently, cross my fingers, its feels "OK".

Edited by KhunBENQ

it's because of the weather

cheesy.gif They got new instructions!

Interesting to read that not only on ToT there are problems (see two other threads).

At least one customer call revealed that all international connections on ToT have/had problems.

The "weather" is more likely a hacker/cyberattack strom against Thailand and its censorship/eavesdropping plans.

I had problems in the last days (ToT).

Currently, cross my fingers, its feels "OK".

Yes mine "feels ok" at present. But like something else thats smelly and has only one gateway out of your body the government is playing they love me they love me not with the internet. Its a smelly one gateway system as well.

My TOT fibre optic line in Nonthaburi has been very bad Friday night and up until lunchtime Saturday,the last few weeks it has been up and down on a regular basis !!! its okay for normal PC browsing but when it comes to streaming on KODI it can be very bad & I am running a direct line from the router to my M8 device.

I have the basic 3BB package at 599 per month (631 with tax) with a router wifi located less than 2 meters away from my laptop only separated by a thin wooden wall.

For Skype I have tried using it on my phone with the same home wifi, its the same problem, my dad in France never hears me or very badly.

When I do the echo test Skype service to test my sounding settings, I hear everything clearly.

I do notice that it is better when the weather is clear though...or its a coincidence lol

Today is better on loading pages, but Skype is useless...

Also I have yet to meet a friend in BKK that has great WIFI, true or 3bb, so I am wondering...

I have the basic 3BB package at 599 per month (631 with tax) with a router wifi located less than 2 meters away from my laptop only separated by a thin wooden wall.

For Skype I have tried using it on my phone with the same home wifi, its the same problem, my dad in France never hears me or very badly.

When I do the echo test Skype service to test my sounding settings, I hear everything clearly.

I do notice that it is better when the weather is clear though...or its a coincidence lol

Today is better on loading pages, but Skype is useless...

Also I have yet to meet a friend in BKK that has great WIFI, true or 3bb, so I am wondering...

If you want to test buy a cheap utp (network) cable and plug it from the router in your laptop. This way you can check if its the WIFI or 3BB.

Personally I have great internet always have had from 3bb, but this could be location dependent.

I have fibre optic on Koh Phangan. Up until the last few days I was hitting 20 down, 10 up. Today I am getting 1.85 Down, 0.6 Up. I will be visiting the ToT offices shortly, but have a feeling preparations for the single gateway and the associated consequences have got more to do with the problem, and that ToT won't be able to do much about it. TiT :-/

I have fibre optic on Koh Phangan. Up until the last few days I was hitting 20 down, 10 up. Today I am getting 1.85 Down, 0.6 Up. I will be visiting the ToT offices shortly, but have a feeling preparations for the single gateway and the associated consequences have got more to do with the problem, and that ToT won't be able to do much about it. TiT :-/

I would change back to a cheaper package if the gateway really restricts speed like that. They will loose a lot from many people if the speeds drop. So I doubt that it will happen.

Today still downloading 50 down and 10 up

Hang on,

Are you telling me that this gateway, will not only restricting our access to the web but also our speed???

If they get it in place it would restrict speed (likely) access.. you would not notice it much unless you visit sites that are in Thai or foreign sites that are about Thailand and the monarchy (in a bad way).

For us expats its only a speed issue (if they ever get it up). But I think the potential blow-back would be too big.

Hang on,

Are you telling me that this gateway, will not only restricting our access to the web but also our speed???

If they get it in place it would restrict speed (likely) access.. you would not notice it much unless you visit sites that are in Thai or foreign sites that are about Thailand and the monarchy (in a bad way).

For us expats its only a speed issue (if they ever get it up). But I think the potential blow-back would be too big.

You stay in Thailand long enough to know how much they care about a blow back.

To refresh your memory. The answer is Nada, Zilch nothing.

Edited by TheCruncher

Hang on,

Oh the last blow back for an amnesty removed a government.. so they do care a lot.

This is the message I got to try to reach this topic

I had to reload twice, before landing here

The connection to www.thaivisa.com was interrupted.
Check your internet connection.

Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

Allow Opera to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.

If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server...

Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Opera menu > Settings > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

Hang on,

Oh the last blow back for an amnesty removed a government.. so they do care a lot.

And you haven't noticed that Thailand currently has a government of a different kind e.g. one that only can be removed if the opposition has bigger guns?