Auto Enthusiasts/gear Heads

Chingy,

OK the fact that you hear metal on metal sound should make diagnosis easier now.

You have to take things apart and carefully look for an are that shows you where metal on metal contact is being made. If you eliminate the brake assembly and you say the noise is intermitent it may be suspension related.

Under heavy load the supensine may tourqe enough occassionaly to twist and make some unusual contact in the brake asembly.

Also consider wheel bearing. To say that they all do this I think is BS. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also there is a sensor in one side of the pad on the front and rears. It has a small spring type retaining clip in it. If the sensor is falty or your warning light is out this sensor may be contacting the rotor and can make a metal on metal sound.

It's important to try to establish a pattern. Is the sound reproduced in turns right or left, backing up accerlerating braking etc

Oh yeah also check emergency brakes... :o

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pepe...you gots to appreciate the virtue of WD40 when it comes to excessive torque to loosten fasteners..Spray it...wait for awhile...drink a beer, spray it again then put the breaker bar on it. Last thing you want is to break off the head of the bolt and to take the assembly to a machinist to have it removed.

With regard to brake discs, if they are badly fukced up junk them. The discs are designed to dissipate heat and without material thickness and integrity you risk failure under extreme conditions...

then...there is the faithful 2CV...

Tutsi,

WD40 absolutely made locally here in San Diego. On tough jobs I always spray some beer on wait and spray it again and drink some WD40 while I wait.

Never been constipated that's for sure :D

As far as Chingy's brakes I believe he said every thing had been changed out with new parts.

God I love diagnosing mechanical problems. :o

pepe...chingy said nothin' about replacing seals on the calipers. When you do this you open up the system and then you got to bleed. This activity is neglected sometimes as it takes two to do it...people then wonder what the spongy brakes are about with all new parts...

pepe...no need for chingy. The metal on metal squeal is the little feeler on the brake pad that indicates to the owner that the lining is thin and has to be replaced. Has nothing to do with the hydraulic system. However when you go to replace the pads you may find a leak that means bad seals and a rebuild for the calipers. If the home mechanic don't know what he's doing then bad news. A caliper rebuild takes special tools. Drum brakes were always simple in this regard.

And don't try and tell me that you replaced a front wheel bearing on a front wheel drive car without a hoist, $3000 worth of tools and a lot of professional help...

tutsi,

Usually you would be right about the warning scratchers on the break pads. This BMW doesn't have those though.

Instead it has electronic sensors that set a light off in the instrument cluster when they are worn enough to contact the rotor.

Also doesn't explain the vibration.

chingy,

Oh yeah I got you mixed up with crash999 he was the guy with the break problems

tusi,

Actually I got my medical license in a box of Cracker Jacks. Fortunately they used real good paper and no one really noticed.:o

Kind and gentle is as description that has only been approprate the last few years.

"###### on wheels" was probably a better description for most of my life.

Ah testosterone. Gimme a shot

chonabot,

Wow talk about nice rides!!! M3's are about as exotic as I get.

I always went for good old American muscle cars but in college got into MGs, Triumphs and Austins that were alot of fun. The English ones were a pain in the butt to work on as I remember.

I did have several bikes and the Triumph Bonneville was a favorite with the girls.

Darn thing did lose a nut or bolt from time to time.

I prefered the American engine compartments that I could climb into with my tools, lunnch, beer and still have room to stretchout and take a nap if I got tired while working :D

To me Thailand really sounds like the wrong place to have an exotic car :D

Absolutely Pepe. No speeding fines possible in most places. ROT DIT :D

Dear Doctor,

Yeah I noticed that. I am leaning towards a pickup for price and durablity.

I will be on a fixed income soon and can't wait. Looks like we are going to buy in Sari village in Nakorn Phatom.

I still do like blowing it out if I've got a good clear shot with the radar on.

Driving out to Palm Springs last weekend I got her up to 140mph for a bit.

100mph is cruise speed unfortunately the limit is 65mph :o

Now that's smokin'... :D

ah yes...the California desert in April is quite nice with all the wild flowers in bloom. My dad built a cabin in the mountains above Yucca Valley where we used to go when we were kids.

Beautiful scenery this time of year IF YOU CAN GET YER EYES OFF THE FUKCIN' SPEEDO TO SEE HOW FUKCIN' FAST YER GOIN'...

This is truly pathetic. Among others, a Brit reeling off his fav bikes and copius amounts of drool over 6 digit putzmobiles yet not one word about the real thing.

Dare I mention the true death machines? The Black Shadow and Lightning? The Superbird?

For you youngsters who think 12th generation fined tuned suspension and revs over 10,000 are to be yawned at, we are talking here, in their day, hunks of iron that walked past all competition, all records.

While not the penultimate by todays standards, iron that still strikes fear in the minds of those who truly know.

Snark,

Sorry I don't understand? What's pathetic? What the heck are you talking about?

This is truly pathetic. Among others, a Brit reeling off his fav bikes and copius amounts of drool over 6 digit putzmobiles yet not one word about the real thing.

Dare I mention the true death machines? The Black Shadow and Lightning? The Superbird?

For you youngsters who think 12th generation fined tuned suspension and revs over 10,000 are to be yawned at, we are talking here, in their day, hunks of iron that walked past all competition, all records.

While not the penultimate by todays standards, iron that still strikes fear in the minds of those who truly know.

Go blow a goat then....

Pepe me old mucker , I'm test driving an AMG C36 this afternoon , if it's a nice as I think it is I may px my Spider, Scorpio for it. Any experience with these Uberwagons? Anything I should look out for?

Anybody not liking this thread , bugger off to the Gay section.... :o

Chonabot,

Anything with AMG in front of it is a sweet package. I haven't taken one out, probably should but I have had patients who have driven the model your talking about with rave reviews.

I'm still stuck on Bimmers for the time being. I have found that nothing comes close in the stock version for overall handling and performance dollar for dollar.

When you get into modifications things seem to enhance geometically.

I have done over suspension completely on several and they were absolutely incredible to drive even at the speed limit.

With the right seats, suspension and shift linkage "wearing your car" is something

to be experienced...

Just found this of one of the amg e36 forums... :o

RE: E36 AMG 1995 (W124)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you seen an episode of Top Gear when the E36 was officially released in the UK? I think it was in '94 or '95 when Clarkson reviewed a E36 coupe, he was impressed when its straigtline acceleration and liked the car but prefers the BMW E36(what a coincidence!) Alpina with its 3.0 (up form 2. engine and in house switchtronic gearbox which he also reviewed in the same episode. I am sure he would have mentioned the price tag in the show.

Pepe' I drove the AMG , but came away with an M5...........had to trade in both of my cars plus toomuch money , but it blew me away.

The wife doesn't know yet , pray for me!

It's a 1999 , 5 litre block, 400 horses as standard , scares the beejaaasus outa me :o

Oh duuuuude I'm getting all excited. You've certainly got the crown jewel!!!

Imagine modifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I've driven several including a brand new one last summer.

Honestly the only thing I can say is that the M3 did handle better.

However both guys who own the dealerships here are driving M5s.

Now you've got the added expense of a flight suit, oxgen and a parachute :o

Enjoy dude best of luck on this one. You've got a dynamite ride for years to come.

Motosport rules :D

Interesting, I was wondering if you were going to be driving your new smokin' top of the line ride in Thailand.

I was having "Bimmer anxiety" thinking about your M5 on Thailand's roads.

I was going to as where do you reside? but more importantly where here is your M5 going to be driven? :o