The new multiple visa from sweden arrived today

What if you're retired, you're still allowed to go on long holidays.

Being "retired" is a legitimate occupation and if the other requirements can be met I foresee no problems for retirees wishing to enjoy a long holiday.

For our Swedish friends it does not mention retired.

An employment certificate in English from an employer mentioning

the applicant's job position, salary, the

purpose of visiting Thailand, and the date when the applicant is expected to return to

work. For self-employed, please submit business license or business registration indicating the

applicant’s name. For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status

in English from the school, college, or university.

Get a Non O if you fit the financial requirements or don't bother is the general feel of this new visa.

Haven't needed a new Non O in almost 20 years, but I like to keep up with the other visas

I have retirement extensions.

An expected date of return to work, wow, that's strict. I can see problems with self-employed people getting a METV, especially those with online businesses.

I wouldn't and couldn't even touch it. I don't plan ins and outs that far in advance. In general once I get to Thailand, any side trip to Laos or Cambodia would be by paying cash for a plane ticket at any of the local travel agent shops. So except for those people that were doing repeats and repeats, a simple single Tourist visa that I could get a re-entry permit for an out and back in side trip to say Cambodia will be it.

• Like 1

An expected date of return to work, wow, that's strict. I can see problems with self-employed people getting a METV, especially those with online businesses.

don't forget : if you get a tourist visa , you 're NOT allowed to work !!! (on line) bussiness is NOT allowed !!! tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

don't forget : if you get a tourist visa , you 're NOT allowed to work !!! (on line) bussiness is NOT allowed !!! tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

So they may refuse a METV for anyone who works online, I know I'm only speculating, but you can see them getting picky with these visas even if you qualify with the finances.

Get a Non O if you fit the financial requirements or don't bother is the general feel of this new visa.

Are you authorizing me to bypass the age requirement or a Non O Visa and subsequent retirement extension? Do you have such authority?

For our Swedish friends it does not mention retired.

An employment certificate in English from an employer mentioning

the applicant's job position, salary, the

purpose of visiting Thailand, and the date when the applicant is expected to return to

work. For self-employed, please submit business license or business registration indicating the

applicant’s name. For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status

in English from the school, college, or university.

I guess individual liberties never really took hold in Europe (or thailand for that matter). But why would anyone beleive the Employer controls the lives of it's employees to such an extent?

• Like 2

Online workers are more than willing to get proper paperwork, work permit and accreditations.

The only problem is that Thailand is not able to provide them with that, so "they can (I quote Chiang Mai Head of Police) work on tourist visa".

Do you have a link to this quote ? I believe it was a member of a Chamber of Commerce who said this, which would make it pointless and invalid.

There is another factor here - countries not wanting their citizen-cattle to "escape" and pay sales and other taxes somewhere else. If only away for a little while, the tax-cattle will likely not become acclimated to a better life, offered elsewhere. But if they stay long term, they might have the realization, "Why would I ever go back to that place?" A Consulate must follow the Thai directives, but can also "improvise" to suit their own nation's interests, no?

• Like 1

"Being "retired" is a legitimate occupation and if the other requirements can be met I foresee no problems for retirees wishing to enjoy a long holiday."

Maybe it is, but how am I to get a letter from my employer giving my expected date of my return to work? No letter, no visa

• Like 1

"Being "retired" is a legitimate occupation and if the other requirements can be met I foresee no problems for retirees wishing to enjoy a long holiday."

Maybe it is, but how am I to get a letter from my employer giving my expected date of my return to work? No letter, no visa

If you are retired I presume you can evidence that fact.

Speak to the Embassy.

Questions about employment are commonly found on application forms but a retired person can still access whatever service is being sought.

Looks to me that the Thailand does not want to get the unemployed coming to Thailand on METV.

Yes, it is just typical Thai mentality, If the unemployed or anyone else wants to come to Thailand, contribute to the economy,

not do any work, or get into trouble, then just what is their problem?

Thailand does depend on tourism for it's economy, or do they?

Edited by possum1931

"Maybe it is, but how am I to get a letter from my employer giving my expected date of my return to work? No letter, no visa "

Occupation and paid employment are not necessarily synonymous. Pretty sure the embassy/consulate staff that process visa applications would be able to cope with the notion that someone receiving a pension may not be returning to work. The requirements posted on websites are fairly general and often differ somewhat from what will or will not be accepted when processing applications. Obviously some embassies are stricter in their interpretation of the guidelines than others, but the intention of these rules would be to weed out those who are looking for a long-term stay in Thailand in order to seek employment here or those trying to circumvent the requirements for an extended stay as a retired person. Some of the blanks to be filled in on existing visa applications are generally ignored when processing applications.

The single entry tourist visa is still available, which is essentially good for 90 days and easily repeated by visiting a neighboring country. And for most retired persons who have money to spend, establishing the basis for an extension of stay based on retirement isn't that onerous. Many people on retirement extensions only actually reside here part of the year. And of course for legitimate tourists, the visa exempt entry plus extension still is readily available.

Obviously Thailand, like every other country, wants tourists and others who spend time here to have money to spend. In terms of economic impact for the country, one person who qualifies for a METV is probably worth more than a few serial visa exempt entrants who brag about how they can easily manage staying here on Baht 20,000 a month or less or someone who ends up employed at some fly-by-night English language school.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I think many people are taking the new rules too literally and that ways around the employment requirement, and possibly the financial requirements, will be found. Let's see how the first actual applications go and then how the procedures are "refined" thereon.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2