The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I said earlier, i wouldn't post anymore till i get my Visa and/or proven facts.

I just received my Multiple Entry Tourist Visa from the friendly Consulate Basel. The entire procedure was solved by post. Since i don't work, nor receive any kind of welfare, obviously the Bank Statement was enough.

Feel free to ask for more information. But i guess, not many here plan to apply for that visa at the said consulate.

However, I'm relaxed now. Good news, for me biggrin.png

OK I'll bite -- where were you when you sent the METV application and passport to and received the passport with METV from the Consulate in Basel?

Edited by JLCrab

I just received my Multiple Entry Tourist Visa from the friendly Consulate Basel. The entire procedure was solved by post. Since i don't work, nor receive any kind of welfare, obviously the Bank Statement was enough.

Feel free to ask for more information. But i guess, not many here plan to apply for that visa at the said consulate.

OK I'll bite -- where were you when you sent the METV application and passport to and received the passport with METV from the Consulate in Basel?

Of course in Switzerland. About 150km from Basel. And I'm still here. But we don't have a real winter. It's 10 degree outside. sad.png

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

Does the criteria for the METV on the Basel website ask for employment/business information?

Of course in Switzerland. About 150km from Basel. And I'm still here. But we don't have a real winter. It's 10 degree outside. sad.png

Of course.

Edited by JLCrab

Does the criteria for the METV on the Basel website ask for employment/business information?
Yes

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What kind of return ticket did you provide? Back to Switzerland? Is it out the visa validity period?

Yes

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

i used a flight-confirmation of a round-ticket within 60days from a local travel-office. I explained to the consulate that i plan to travel to other SEA countries as well and use Thailand as a hub.

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

if someone is planning on a 6 month stay in Thailand i dont get the appeal of a METV;

get a single for 1,000 baht and extend for 1,900

at the end of 89 days got to a nearby country an do it over

6 months, little more $ but no hoops to jump thru, easier, no need to return home.

if someone is planning on a 6 month stay in Thailand i dont get the appeal of a METV;

6 months, little more $ but no hoops to jump thru, easier, no need to return home.

I think most people will be looking at getting the most form the METV that can give a total stay of almost 9 months by doing an entry before it expires.

Even at six months the 5000 baht fee for the METV is not that bad when you consider the time and expense of going out for another single entry tourist visa.

• Like 1

I think most people will be looking at getting the most form the METV that can give a total stay of almost 9 months by doing an entry before it expires.

Even at six months the 5000 baht fee for the METV is not that bad when you consider the time and expense of going out for another single entry tourist visa.

You also have to add in a visa extension after 60 days .1900 Baht

A border run after 90 days 1000-3000 baht .

Another visa extension after five months 1900 Baht .

Another border run just before six months 1000-3000 Baht

And one more visa extension after eight months 1900 Baht

Which is a total of between 13000 Baht and 17000 Baht, for nine month stay

All depends where you live -- a border run for me is 35 baht each way on the train plus the cost of the Lao visa plus the expense of my valuable time plus maybe a few visa exempts before I would take myself US stateside

• Like 1

All depends where you live -- a border run for me is 35 baht each way on the train plus the cost of the Lao visa plus the expense of my valuable time plus maybe a few visa exempts before I would take myself US stateside

exactly, seems all you all forget the cost to get the metv in ur home country. A trip to the states is over 32,000-40,000 baht r/t,( Europe 25,000) add in staying somewhere, shopping,visiting folks

ur up over 45,000-52,000 baht min for a metv visa + the visa fee +having the $$ in ur bank,

+ u still need do a visa birder run after 3 months

Although I was giving the cost of the METV for a nine month stay , with all the add ons .

METV opened up for tour companies who most likely will apply for the customer and get all approved as they will not detour from the package. Just follows the flag.

At the same time they removed double and triple entry tourist visa.

METV is not the problem for perpetual tourist.

The loss of double and triple is the problem.

Blame it on the messenger (METV) if you like.

Retired folk who don't fancy jumping through hoops, and people taking a year out or who have independent means, are going to struggle with this METV if the Thai consulates take seriously the "show you are employed" requirement. They need to face facts: if you can naff off to SE Asia for 6-9 months you almost certainly aren't employed, even if you were and will be again.

In my view the METV rules show a serious lack of understanding about how much of the world works outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

Retired folk who don't fancy jumping through hoops, and people taking a year out or who have independent means, are going to struggle with this METV if the Thai consulates take seriously the "show you are employed" requirement. They need to face facts: if you can naff off to SE Asia for 6-9 months you almost certainly aren't employed, even if you were and will be again.

In my view the METV rules show a serious lack of understanding about how much of the world works outside of Thailand.

Just to note per the CV of the current Thai Minister of Foreign Affairs:

B.A. ( Political Science ) ( Hons.), University of California Los Angeles(UCLA)
M.A. (International Relations), University of California Los Angeles(UCLA)
M.A. (International Relations), The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, U.S.A
2004-2007 Ambassador of Thailand to European Union, Belgium, Luxembourg
2007-2009 Ambassador , Permanent Representative of Thailand to the United Nations , New York
2009–2010 Ambassador of Thailand to U.S.A.
Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

M.A. (International Relations), The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, U.S.A

2007-2009 Ambassador , Permanent Representative of Thailand to the United Nations , New York

20092010 Ambassador of Thailand to U.S.A.

Thank you very much for taking the time to dig up that information. Wow! If he had a hand in the inception of the METV then he should have known better. A considerable number of people come to Thailand for 6-7 months every year before returning to Europe or the U.S. where they engage in a 4-5 month contract to perform a specific task. These people are not short of a few Shekels because they know how to manage things so don't take a bean before the contract is completed because you get a higher price. They don't have a job, as it were, and are not so stupid as to leave (8k US?) in a bank doing nothing for 6 months.

Two friends just got the METV from the embassy in Stockholm. They are very very strict and there where a lot of problems before they got it.

You have to show 57k SEK (240k baht) in a bank account for 6 months. You have to show paper for every month. So they can see the money have been there 6 months.

They had to show papers from there work that they have a job.

A paper that they will take care of their children and pay for them in Thailand.

Paper for the booking odf accomendation and air plane tickets.

Paper from the Tax Authorities.

Wow, the difference for us neighbours in the west, is huge. Norway and Sweden usually go hand in hand, but here we have obviously been going separate ways. Can`t think of any reason for it though. Some cranky visa handlers in Sweden?

Thank you very much for taking the time to dig up that information. Wow! If he had a hand in the inception of the METV then he should have known better. A considerable number of people come to Thailand for 6-7 months every year before returning to Europe or the U.S. where they engage in a 4-5 month contract to perform a specific task. These people are not short of a few Shekels because they know how to manage things so don't take a bean before the contract is completed because you get a higher price. They don't have a job, as it were, and are not so stupid as to leave (8k US?) in a bank doing nothing for 6 months.

Maybe just as likely that, rather than he not understanding how the world works outside Thailand, you don't understand how the world works inside Thailand.

• Like 2

Maybe just as likely that, rather than he not understanding how the world works outside Thailand, you don't understand how the world works inside Thailand.

Lol

Perhaps but I'm not trying to sell anything. I mentioned the other day on some thread regarding the new METV that the aim is to get dullards to visit Los. I've been here a long time and would venture to guess that you have also. Nothing makes any sense but I still love it here.

Lol

Perhaps but I'm not trying to sell anything. I mentioned the other day on some thread regarding the new METV that the aim is to get dullards to visit Los. I've been here a long time and would venture to guess that you have also. Nothing makes any sense but I still love it here.

Maybe they decided lots more dullards in this world than otherwise. I don't know what is the purpose and objectives of the Visa scheme promulgated 13NOV2015 so I for one cannot say whether they are achieving their objectives or not.

• Like 1

I continue to be surprised that some members question the reasoning behind the METV when they have no information or statistics to justify the criticism. I am pretty sure the decision on the METV was not taken lightly, and that the people making the decision had all the relevant information to make an informed decision.

IMO Thailand sold very few DETV's worldwide compared to the SETV, visa exempt entry and VOA that cater for the vast majority of tourists. Places like Vientiane were the exception and creates a distorted view of reality. Most of those buying the DETV in Laos were probably not 'typical tourists' on vacation, but people living in Thailand, many of who were working illegally.

The "considerable number" of people you mention, which in reality likely numbers no more than a few hundred, sound perfect for the METV. If they choose not to leave "8k" in their banks it seems self defeating for the sake of an insignificant amount of lost interest. That said I expect that many embassies/consulates will accept savings accounts etc and not just bank accounts.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

The "considerable number" of people you mention, which in reality likely numbers no more than a few hundred, sound perfect for the METV. If they choose not to leave "8k" in their banks it seems self defeating for the sake of an insignificant amount of lost interest. That said I expect that many embassies/consulates will accept savings accounts etc and not just bank accounts.

It is this part I think about.

insignificant amount of lost interest

I don't keep my money in a bank and get between 18-27% gain on my investment.

I continue to be surprised that some members question the reasoning behind the METV when they have no information or statistics to justify the criticism. I am pretty sure the decision on the METV was not taken lightly, and that the people making the decision had all the relevant information to make an informed decision

Very funny.

20092010 Ambassador of Thailand to U.S.A.Thank you very much for taking the time to dig up that information. Wow! If he had a hand in the inception of the METV then he should have known better. A considerable number of people come to Thailand for 6-7 months every year before returning to Europe or the U.S. where they engage in a 4-5 month contract to perform a specific task. These people are not short of a few Shekels because they know how to manage things so don't take a bean before the contract is completed because you get a higher price. They don't have a job, as it were, and are not so stupid as to leave (8k US?) in a bank doing nothing for 6 months.

I am an engineering contractor and often get a few months off between assignments. In addition, I am close to becoming semi-retired and I would technically be unemployed. While I do keep a fair amount of cash around ~ 5 K for sure, there are days or weeks where money comes in and goes out and I doubt I would have 8K every single moment. My dividends and interest roll around when they do, some monthly, some quarterly. That METV financial thing just won't work as written, never mind the second trip documentation requirements. I travel on the fly and sort things out when there.

Generic all-purpose METV complaint form:

The METV doesn't work for (fill-in your name) because (fill-in your travel circumstances) and I would lose (fill-in the great returns you would get elsewhere for your cash) and therefore is stupid and ill-conceived by persons who do not understand the real word outside Thailand.

Two friends just got the METV from the embassy in Stockholm. They are very very strict and there where a lot of problems before they got it.

You have to show 57k SEK (240k baht) in a bank account for 6 months. You have to show paper for every month. So they can see the money have been there 6 months.

They had to show papers from there work that they have a job.

A paper that they will take care of their children and pay for them in Thailand.

Paper for the booking odf accomendation and air plane tickets.

Paper from the Tax Authorities.

Wow, the difference for us neighbours in the west, is huge. Norway and Sweden usually go hand in hand, but here we have obviously been going separate ways. Can`t think of any reason for it though. Some cranky visa handlers in Sweden?

The Embassy in Stockholm have always been very strict and demanding. Especially when it comes to money. For instance the 65 k baht a month income that you need for longer visa like non O or O-A, 1 year extension. The Stockolm embassy demand to see 18,500 sek a month AFTER tax. For a normal person it mean that you need an income of about 105k gross a month instead of 65k. Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1