Small Opium Fields Destroyed

webfact

Small Opium Fields Destroyed
by CityNews

opium-fields-1024x682.jpg

CityNews – The 7th Infantry Division inspected, by air, areas between Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai to find and then destroy opium fields.

There were a few smaller fields found hidden between other plants and while the fields were destroyed, no one was arrested as they did not find any persons in the area.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/small-opium-fields-destroyed/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2015-11-24

"The 7th Infantry Division inspected, by air" By air or by Google Earth.facepalm.gifwhistling.gif

I'm not sure if google earth is very up to date in those areas. On a recent trip to MHS province, I saw lots of corn fields in small valleys, & it crossed my mind how easy it would be to hide something like poppy fields, surrounded by 2 m high corn. Only visible from the air.

"The 7th Infantry Division inspected, by air" By air or by Google Earth.facepalm.gifwhistling.gif

I'm not sure if google earth is very up to date in those areas. On a recent trip to MHS province, I saw lots of corn fields in small valleys, & it crossed my mind how easy it would be to hide something like poppy fields, surrounded by 2 m high corn. Only visible from the air.

Is Is 03'03/2015 good enough for you on updates by Google Earth. tongue.png

Not if they plant in a different area each season. The area I was exploring was only from 2014. I doubt the resolution is good enough on GE.

Not if they plant in a different area each season. The area I was exploring was only from 2014. I doubt the resolution is good enough on GE.

Go to GPS 40° 0′ 0″ N, 123° 30′ 0″ W Northern California its called the Emerald Triangle/ Number 1 doobi growing area in North America. Zoom in on it and you will see the green house's. Imagery date is 5/31/2014. I'll stick to GE.

quote "Go to GPS 40° 0′ 0″ N, 123° 30′ 0″ W Northern California its called the Emerald Triangle/ Number 1 doobi growing area in North America. Zoom in on it and you will see the green house's. Imagery date is 5/31/2014. I'll stick to GE." unquote

No thanks. The subject is poppy fields in northern Thailand, where GE imagery might be up to 2 or 3 years old.

Edited by MESmith

The subject is poppy fields in northern Thailand, where GE imagery might be up to 2 or 3 years old.

It can be, or it can be as recent as 2-3 months. At work I use their Thai imagery a couple times a week and I'm often pleasantly surprised at how up to date it is. But then of course it really isn't their own - it's from multiple sources including Landsat and National Geospatial.