Smog in North worsens

webfact

Smog in North worsens
POUNGCHOMPOO PRASERT
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THIS YEAR'S smog in the North was worse than last year's in terms of the concentration of dust particles.

Pollution Control Department deputy chief Suwan Nanthasarut yesterday told a press conference that this year there were 30 days when the level of particulate matter up to 10 micrometres in size was beyond the safety limit of 120 micrograms per cubic metre. While that was several days less than last year's figure, the concentration of the dust particles was higher in 2015, he said.

PM10 levels this year peaked at 381mcg in Chiang Rai's Muang district. Last year's peak was 324mcg. Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Nan, Phayao and Tak recorded the highest average amounts of PM10.

Dr Wachira Pengchan, director-general of the Public Health Ministry's Health Department, said: "The smog is expected to be more severe next year because of the drought. A critical period will be between late January and early February, as it will be the sugar cane harvest period in which almost all farmers - many of whom are from the North - will burn agricultural waste."

Wachira said the burning practice accounted for 90 per cent of the problem. The two other major contributing factors are construction projects and the outdoor roasting of meat.

The region's mountains and pan-shaped valleys and its high-pressure systems trap dust particles. That affects people's health, especially those with heart problems, respiratory diseases, dermatitis and allergic conjunctivitis. This year 826,247 people were treated for those complaints in the region.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Smog-in-North-worsens-30274288.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-04

When I saw the pollution report from Beijing, I knew Northern Thailand might soon be affected.

Even people in America are aware of the pollution problems now in SE Asia....

This will not affect tourism!!!

I have a feeling this will be the worst pollution in decades (Feb-April). Lots of pressure from China to produce....

The black lung loses out to profits every day.

coffee1.gif

I don't see that pressure from China or an increase in the production of anything in Thailand will increase the pollution problem, the root cause is crop burning (90% says the OP) and the same volume of land is cleared every year. The only variables in this equation are the weather/climate and the extent to which laws are enforced.

Edited by chiang mai

I don't see that pressure from China or an increase in the production of anything in Thailand will increase the pollution problem, the root cause is crop burning (90% says the OP) and the same volume of land is cleared every year. The only variables in this equation are the weather/climate and the extent to which laws are enforced.

More land is "cleared" every year as deforestation and burning continues unchecked, the hills now often bare of trees for feed corn...and when the rains return, expect flooding and erosion in this environmental disater area call Thailand.

Aren't these reports coming a bit early this year?

Not to worry, Thailand will bring out their water cannons to knock that nasty dust out of the air. All will be well except for the other 99.999% of Thailand not covered by the cannons.

What a shame such a beautiful part of the country has to turn so nasty for several months every year....year after year after year.

Next year, I am sure the smog/pollution,will be worse than ever,

with the lack of rain this year,the forests will be dry as a bone,

when the folks begin burning,to make the collection of mushrooms

easier,they are going to burn out of control,will the Government

do anything about it?,they talk a lot,but every year,its the same.

add to the mix,the increasing number of vehicles,farmers burning,

stubble,the future looks very smoggy.

regards Worgeordie

This article is a review of the smog earlier this year with a brief comparison to the year before. There is also a prediction of things being even worse in the coming year. There have been much better articles on this subject in the past but at least they are writing about it.

In our area they are quickly getting about the task of burning off the rice stubble after the recent harvest. As unpleasant as it is, burning rice stubble pales in comparison to corn and sugar.

Fire%252520-%2525201.jpg

"The two other major contributing factors are construction projects and the outdoor roasting of meat."

No mention of poorly maintained black smoke belching trucks & buses bah.gif

Did you not read that effective January 1st new car taxes will be set by how much carbon they emit not the size of their engine. They seem focused on new laws curbing the problem when the real problem is old vehicles(wink wink). I am sure the carbon cops will be all over the mountains this year curbing crop burning. I am sure that a 100000 baht increase and up on new vehicles will surely boost sales in a down economy. It kind of reminds me of all the pills I take to cure one problem and in the course of things the pills create new problems. Just kidding I am healthy as the proverbial horse well at the moment anyways.

Drove to Chiang Rai this morning and saw quite a few rice fields smouldering. I feel that authorities should allow drive-by shootings by concerned residents against farmers with matches in their hands if the farmers are standing within 50m of belching fields.

Drove to Chiang Rai this morning and saw quite a few rice fields smouldering. I feel that authorities should allow drive-by shootings by concerned residents against farmers with matches in their hands if the farmers are standing within 50m of belching fields.

I don't have to go that far to see burning rice fields. Harvest is nearly over here in CM. Only need to look out of my closed windows bah.gif

Was talking with an agronomist friend from Nan yesterday. According to satellite imagery analysis, 1.2 million rai of degraded forest land in that one small province has been cleared for cultivation, mostly corn, in the last 5 years, driven largely by CP.

"The two other major contributing factors are construction projects and the outdoor roasting of meat."

No mention of poorly maintained black smoke belching trucks & buses bah.gif

So I guess no more BBQ's in Thailand then sad.png

Was talking with an agronomist friend from Nan yesterday. According to satellite imagery analysis, 1.2 million rai of degraded forest land in that one small province has been cleared for cultivation, mostly corn, in the last 5 years, driven largely by CP.

Last year I seem to remember reading there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 million rai or corn in the north, all destined for big corporations like CP. The involvement of big players is probably one reason not much can be done to alleviate the pollution problem. 2007 was a bad smoke year and I think that is when a lot of the corn started, or the year before I guess.

Edited by villagefarang

This time of year people tend to confuse "smog" with "fog" or just heavy clouds, which is exactly what we got in CM today. Brief rain early afternoon, then dark and moody clouds and gusty winds signaling more rain which didn't happen, but brought a cool (20C) evening. Anyway, the real smog typically waits until late-Feb when the temps also suddenly rise.

Edited by Captain_Bob

I keep this article framed, to remind me of the no ending idiocy the great nation's best and brightest can produce. This article was written in 2006, during some of the heaviest smog planet earth has ever experienced.

his is my favorite quote:

Puchong Insomphun, chief of Chiang Mai environmental office, said the situation had not shown any signs of improving thus far.

Officials had been searching for sources of smoke and found that Korean Bulgogi, a chain of outdoor barbecue restaurants, was a major source of smoke in northern cities, he said.

"We will soon ask these restaurants to reduce the smoke from their barbecue stoves. Although this would only be able to reduce a small amount of the smoke, we will have to do it to improve air quality," Mr Puchong said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=117408

The full article here:

Today's Top Stories

Authorities set one week smoke deadline

By Anucha Charoenpo and Apinya Wipatayotin

The government will declare a state of environmental emergency in the northern provinces and impose harsher penalties on slash-and-burn violators if they don't stop within a week.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Kasem Snidvongs said article 9 of the 1992 National Environmental Quality Act deals with the question of an emergency or public danger arising from a natural disaster or pollution caused by contamination and spread of pollutants.

In such cases, the prime minister has the power to order government agencies, state enterprises or any relevant people to take prompt action in order to control or mitigate the adverse effects of such danger or damage.

After the declaration of a state of emergency, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont would have absolute power to consider what measures should be taken or whether people should be evacuated, Mr Kasem said after the cabinet meeting.

He said the cabinet was also very concerned about the severity of the forest fires, especially in the northern provinces. Dangerously high levels of small dust particles have been generated by forest fires and burning activities.

The minister said forest fire control units from provinces with a low risk of forest fires, as well as soldiers from the Third Region Army, have been sent to the northern provinces to help local officials control the bush fires and haze crisis.

The Pollution Control Department yesterday reported that the level of small dust particles in the air in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son provinces was measured at between 240 and 290 milligrammes per cubic metre (ug/cu m), against the health standard of a maximum of 120 ug/cu m.

The level of dust in Chiang Mai was measured at 284 ug/cu m, the highest since the department issued its first dust warning on March 6.

Siri Aka-akara, director of the Department of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department's forest fire control division, said the forest fire peak period would continue until the end of this month. This means air quality in the northern provinces, particularly Chiang Mai, could get worse unless there is more rain.

Mr Siri predicted that there would be more forest fires in the northern provinces due to a very low moisture level in the atmosphere, scarce rainfall and increasing burning activities on farmland.

"When such human activity mixes with natural conditions, then the severity of these forest fires will be terribly high," Mr Siri said.

The forest fire control chief said the haze problems occurred in the northern provinces every year during this period, but this year's situation was far more critical due to some "unusual climate conditions".

"The country has never experienced a cold air mass during this time of the year. But the cold air mass hit us this year and has blocked the small dust particles from evaporating into the air. A shortage of rainfall also worsened the situation," Mr Siri explained.

Suraphol Leelawaropas, the chief of the forest fire control division in Chiang Mai, said statistics showed that the smoke that has shrouded the province mainly came from slash-and-burn activities in farmlands, not from bush fires.

Puchong Insomphun, chief of Chiang Mai environmental office, said the situation had not shown any signs of improving thus far.

Officials had been searching for sources of smoke and found that Korean Bulgogi, a chain of outdoor barbecue restaurants, was a major source of smoke in northern cities, he said.

"We will soon ask these restaurants to reduce the smoke from their barbecue stoves. Although this would only be able to reduce a small amount of the smoke, we will have to do it to improve air quality," Mr Puchong said.

Edited by Eyjafjallajokull

I guess that the laws are already there that requires fines, maybejail time etc for burning.

Simply never enforced. It's easy to see the fires, make the landowners, village headmen etc responsible

irrespective of who sets the fires, and make the fines,penalties severe.

And then I woke up!