Rear racks on motorcycles

casualbiker

Good.

So many crappy backyard racks out there.

Some farang even buy some because it saves them 2,000 baht on buying a genuine Givi.

Good luck when one side cracks at 140kph with a topbox with your gear in it.

A rack is simply one thing that I would never not buy a genuine, World renown brand.

coffee1.gif

Good.

Some farang even buy some because it saves them 2,000 baht on buying a genuine Givi.

A rack is simply one thing that I would never not buy a genuine, World renown brand.

coffee1.gif

coffee1.gif :

140 is beyond the factory allowable speed for a Givi top-box.

[& 50 over the maximum legal road speed for a moto here]

whistling.gif

so best have some more laws, that will help.

Good.

coffee1.gif

Rack genuine yes.

Kiwi gay beauty box, no thanks.

Edited by Lampang2

Yes those racks must be really dangerous!!..... when compared to having 5 people riding on a Honda Wave, or a sidecar carrying a ton of bananas and 5 people. Or a one tone pickup carrying a 3 tonne load, 4 metres high, travelling at 120kph down the highway, that iffy weld on a home made rack is obviously a top priority for the police here.

Jeeesus get real lads.

A 25mm weld can bear about a 1,000kg load and a back-box can carry 6kg, have some perspective here.

Yes those racks must be really dangerous!!..... when compared to having 5 people riding on a Honda Wave, or a sidecar carrying a ton of bananas and 5 people. Or a one tone pickup carrying a 3 tonne load, 4 metres high, travelling at 120kph down the highway, that iffy weld on a home made rack is obviously a top priority for the police here.

Jeeesus get real lads.

A 25mm weld can bear about a 1,000kg load and a back-box can carry 6kg, have some perspective here.

Was there a poster called Tony on here before? I know he was quite active on the net for years and an avid biker.

I remember he picked up his new Ninja 250 in 2008, put on a Thai Rack and it snapped and almost killed him on the very first journey!

Edited by condo bought

Jeeesus get real lads.

Was there a poster called Tony on here before? I know he was quite active on the net for years and an avid biker.

I remember he picked up his new Ninja 250 in 2008, put on a Thai Rack and it snapped and almost killed him on the very first journey!

things have changed A LOT since 2008.

You've quality controlled every backyard Thai manufacturer in 2015, have you?

By all means, risk your life and others with some non certified backyard Thai junk because it saves you 2,000 baht. :)

nope. And nor have you. My point was that bikes and big bikes in particular have more shops and suppliers. Generally the quality has also increased. I look before I buy!

Buying cheap products isn't always the best idea from a safety point of view, but this issue is way down the list of priorities for the government to address..unless of course you are starting/running a bike rack/accessory business.coffee1.gif

Bit smallfry though, Tony Bush and George Blair got a shit-load of oil for their mates, in addition to a multi-billion Drachma arms/supplies deal, which is ongoing...now that's the way to do it.

Good.

coffee1.gif

Totally agree. Said the same myself regarding racks, adventure pegs and hand-guards. Anything that is designed to carry additional weight, including ones body shouldn't be scrimped on. As for crash bars there are a few cheaper alternatives to SW-Motech for instance. In this case it is up to the buyer to decide if it will protect his/her bike from damage. As for my bike I have the original SW rack, Hand guards and adventure pegs. My crash bars are a cheaper alternative which have done their job as far as I am concerned.

But, there a so many vehicles on the road that shouldn't be regardless of add ons!

Edited by BBJ

Jeeesus get real lads.

Was he sat on the rack ?

I can understand why this law is in place but this will be tough to follow through as bikes don't seem to be inspected often.

I had a Thai rack on a Nouvo 135 and it never had a problem being overbuilt steel.

The problem was the NE135's frame where the rack bolted to almost sheared off from 3 years of overloading the topbin with groceries.

Points being; don't overload your topbin, inspect/see if there is any vertical play in your rack as it gets older, and ask a friend to follow you and see if your bike looks OK when riding.