Another attack on the public healthcare program

CaptHaddock

According to an article in that newspaper a Thai cabinet minister is calling for changes to the 30 baht healthcare program to charge unspecified co-payments to patients. He claims that Thailand cannot afford to support the system although he apparently does not object to the proposed 7% increase in the military budget. Govt civil servants get healthcare at a cost to the govt of 65 billion baht per year for 5 million people while the 30 baht scheme covers 48 million people at a cost of 101 billion baht. The minister did not suggest that the government cannot afford to continue to cover the cost of the healthcare for the civil servants.

There is no mention in the article of studies that have shown that the 30 baht scheme reduced infant mortality by 13% in the first year alone or other studies that show that the program alone has reduced poverty in Thailand overall by 30%.

Class warfare.

Without a link to the article, it's difficult to place your comments in perspective.

Is the 'Thai cabinet minister' who made the comments, the Minister for Health?

If so, he is only doing his job to manage is portfolio.

You can then judge him if he right or wrong.

If he is the Health Minister he will be mute (most likely) on issues outside his portfolio on which your take is that 'apparently does not he object to the proposed 7% increase in the military budget.'

Thai Politics - naught of my concern.

I can't vote.

We will never be able to vote.

If we can't vote, we can't effect change.

If I can't effect change, I'm not going to waste my energy with any moral outrage, even if I think it's justified.

In related news as reported in the same newspaper under the title, "PM Slams Populism, Poor", the unelected PM urged the middle classes to come out and vote (in the unspecified future when voting is again permitted by the soldiers) to "stop parties pitching populist policies to the poor from regaining office." The unelected PM said, "If they [political parties] use the same old campaign strategy, they will come [to power] with the votes of the poor who want more money to make their life better," he said. That's the old problem with democracy is that the majority gets to elect the government.

Could be called "Returning Happiness to the Rich and the Middle-Class Wannabes at the Expense of the Poor." But then that was the whole purpose of the coup from the beginning after all.

Without a link to the article, it's difficult to place your comments in perspective.

Is the 'Thai cabinet minister' who made the comments, the Minister for Health?

If so, he is only doing his job to manage is portfolio.

You can then judge him if he right or wrong.

If he is the Health Minister he will be mute (most likely) on issues outside his portfolio on which your take is that 'apparently does not he object to the proposed 7% increase in the military budget.'

Thai Politics - naught of my concern.

I can't vote.

We will never be able to vote.

If we can't vote, we can't effect change.

If I can't effect change, I'm not going to waste my energy with any moral outrage, even if I think it's justified.

Naive posting and opinion.

You are stuck in your western mindset with your can't vote, can't effect change mindset

Thai politics is the concern of anyone who lives here long term

It is remarkably easy to influence change and opinion in your Thai circle of friends

Give it a try.

Edited by sheepishkiwi

OP: how can the health care program possibly have reduced poverty in Thailand by 30%? Did all the jobless retrain as doctors and suddenly made lots of money?

That's actually a very good question, "How does Universal Coverage reduce poverty?"

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/views-healthcare-thailand-story-inspire-confidence-080006336.html

It has been shown that the UC Scheme has contributed significantly to reducing instances of catastrophic healthcare expenditures, especially in impoverished areas of the country. Based on the recent evaluation of the ten years of the Scheme, the number of impoverished households dropped from 3.4 per cent in 1996 to 0.8-1.3 per cent between 2006 and 2009, thus contributing to poverty reduction, building greater financial stability to vulnerable households and improved long-term livelihood security. In addition, it helps Thailand to attain the principle of the right to health for all. In a country with high income inequality as measured by the Gini Coefficient, access to affordable healthcare is a bridge that helps mitigate many of the socio-economic inequities that still plague this nation.

Also, Universal Coverage in Thailand is cheap:

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), its total health expenditures (THE) is estimated at 4.1 per cent of its GDP or $328 per capita, which is relatively low for the health outcomes achieved. The extensive network of primary healthcare facilities implemented through district health systems supplemented by some of the excellent research outfits undoubtedly played a crucial role in improving health outcomes especially for the rural population.

In general there is a large literature on the relationship of access to health care and poverty reduction in the world generally and in developing countries in particular.

From the UN WHO:

Q: What is the impact of universal health coverage on the population?

Universal health coverage has a direct impact on a population’s health and welfare. Access and use of health services enables people to be more productive and active contributors to their families and communities. It also ensures that children can go to school and learn. At the same time, financial risk protection prevents people from being pushed into poverty when they have to pay for health services out of their own pockets.

Universal health coverage is thus a critical component of sustainable development and poverty reduction, and a key element of any effort to reduce social inequities. Universal coverage is the hallmark of a government’s commitment to improve the wellbeing of all its citizens.

http://www.who.int/healthsystems/topics/financing/uhc_qa/en/

Thailand's 30 baht scheme is one of the great achievements of which the nation should be proud. Instead the reactionaries are chomping at the bit to return the poor to the abysmal conditions of the past.