US: comedian Bill Cosby charged with sexual assault

webfact

I wonder how many groupies the average big star has had? How about a count for Elvis or The Beatles? Is the number zero? What would I do if all of those pretty women came crowding to my dressing room after each show?

I still have a problem with people being able to make these accusations in hopes of getting big money after so many years have passed that the accused has no way of defending himself. He said, she said. Surely there needs to be more than that?

Cheers.

Did the examples you gave, Elvis and The Beatles, rape the groupies or give them drugs to incapacitate them so they could rape them?

None of these women claimed they were forced to take these drugs and they were not slipped into there cocktails. Had they brought there own drugs and took them there, would it make a difference? Well according to the Rape Laws...no.

Elvis' Girlfriend and future wife was only 14 years old when he met her and they got engaged. Elvis was also addicted to prescribed drugs and died of a drug overdose. The Beatles all had there share of drugs to during there era and probably how Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ever got written and produced by the Beatles. So don't be so sure who they all shared drugs with and what happened later. .

I wonder how many groupies the average big star has had? How about a count for Elvis or The Beatles? Is the number zero? What would I do if all of those pretty women came crowding to my dressing room after each show?

I still have a problem with people being able to make these accusations in hopes of getting big money after so many years have passed that the accused has no way of defending himself. He said, she said. Surely there needs to be more than that?

Cheers.

Did the examples you gave, Elvis and The Beatles, rape the groupies or give them drugs to incapacitate them so they could rape them?

None of these women claimed they were forced to take these drugs and they were not slipped into there cocktails. Had they brought there own drugs and took them there, would it make a difference? Well according to the Rape Laws...no.

Elvis' Girlfriend and future wife was only 14 years old when he met her and they got engaged. Elvis was also addicted to prescribed drugs and died of a drug overdose. The Beatles all had there share of drugs to during there era and probably how Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ever got written and produced by the Beatles. So don't be so sure who they all shared drugs with and what happened later. .

Its quite different to be slipped some drug without you knowing it or taking it knowingling (and usually knowing what will happen). I know from experience as I have used my fair share of drugs back in the Netherlands. Drugs can be great enhancement of sex or a really scary experience if you did not know you had taken them. Drugs that incapacitate people like GHB (knock out but if dosed right fun for the user). If you slip that to someone (hard to do as it tastes real salty I have used it on myself) you can knock them out and have your way.. that would be rape.

I wonder if all those people posting here have any experience with drugs themselves, all armchair expert. Drugs are a double edged sword, depending on how they are used and if the user knows he / she has taken them. What Cosby allegedly do is slip them unnoticed and then incapacitate the victim and use them. That is totally different from taking drugs together with someone who knows what they are doing.

^^^ Were you there?

When 27 women accuse a man of sexual assaults, it would seem appropriate for a court to decide whether a crime has occurred.

When organized by Gloria Allred??? "In Los Angeles, celebrity attorney Gloria Allred, who represents more than two dozen Cosby accusers, pronounced the charges "the best Christmas present they have ever received." She said her clients are willing to testify if called."

Somehow I smell a big money trail here someplace.

Accuse! Convict! Then Civil Sue Bill later like crazy! One Million each should be enough.

I wish Angelina Jolie would take me to her private residence, get me so drunk on wine I can't resist her sexual advances, so then take full sexual advantage over me. Then be kind enough later to pay me 1 Million Dollars to keep quiet and not say anything to Brad. Hum???

^^^ Were you there?

When 27 women accuse a man of sexual assaults, it would seem appropriate for a court to decide whether a crime has occurred.

When organized by Gloria Allred??? "In Los Angeles, celebrity attorney Gloria Allred, who represents more than two dozen Cosby accusers, pronounced the charges "the best Christmas present they have ever received." She said her clients are willing to testify if called."

Somehow I smell a big money trail here someplace.

Accuse! Convict! Then Civil Sue Bill later like crazy! One Million each should be enough.

I wish Angelina Jolie would take me to her private residence, get me so drunk on wine I can't resist her sexual advances, so then take full sexual advantage over me. Then be kind enough later to pay me 1 Million Dollars to keep quiet and not say anything to Brad. Hum???

You know when your drinking wine.. and you probably have drunk alcohol before you know its effect. You would not know if you had been slipped a drug and what it would do with you.. see the difference ?.

How about I slip you a knockout drug and let a group of ladyboys have their way with you. You won't recall much, might be a bit sore in the morning.

Cheers.

Its quite different to be slipped some drug without you knowing it or taking it knowingling (and usually knowing what will happen). I know from experience as I have used my fair share of drugs back in the Netherlands. Drugs can be great enhancement of sex or a really scary experience if you did not know you had taken them. Drugs that incapacitate people like GHB (knock out but if dosed right fun for the user). If you slip that to someone (hard to do as it tastes real salty I have used it on myself) you can knock them out and have your way.. that would be rape.

I wonder if all those people posting here have any experience with drugs themselves, all armchair expert. Drugs are a double edged sword, depending on how they are used and if the user knows he / she has taken them. What Cosby allegedly do is slip them unnoticed and then incapacitate the victim and use them. That is totally different from taking drugs together with someone who knows what they are doing.

Read again! Cosby offered her drugs and she willing accepted them. She was not forced or hidden in her drink. Although now she claims she didn't know what she was taking. Who takes drugs willing from a stranger and not know what they will do or not expect something to happen? The real question was did she willing accept sexual advances from Bill Cosby. Her past history after this events suggest she did.

I think just about anyone who lived through the Hippy Era has some experience with drugs in there younger years. I know I have.

^^^ Were you there?

I hadn't noticed that it was Allred. What a witch. She'd do anything to get her ugly mug into the news. She's made her many millions taking high profile and very controversial cases.

What does she get paid for this? Is it the typical 50% of any award? Now she has something new to appear on all of the broadcast news channels about and flash her ugly mouth and face around.

No wonder.

Read again! Cosby offered her drugs and she willing accepted them. She was not forced or hidden in her drink. Although now she claims she didn't know what she was taking. Who takes drugs willing from a stranger and not know what they will do or not expect something to happen? The real question was did she willing accept sexual advances from Bill Cosby. Her past history after this events suggest she did.

I think just about anyone who lived through the Hippy Era has some experience with drugs in there younger years. I know I have.

Ok, I thought that it was slipped that was the case in an other Cosby case. If taken willingly, then its her own responsibility. (unless of-course it was given under a false pretense as here is some aspirin for your headache)

Edited by robblok

Ok, I thought that it was slipped that was the case in an other Cosby case. If taken willingly, then its her own responsibility. (unless of-course it was given under a false pretense as here is some aspirin for your headache)

55 women have come forward so far.

"...Since then, dozens of women have come forward, most with disturbingly similar stories involving pills or spiked drinks, unconsciousness, and a naked or near-naked Cosby thrusting himself upon them. Some of the stories involve groping or indecent exposure; some involve outright rape. The following is a list of women who have accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault of any kind..."

http://starcasm.net/archives/306591

Read again! Cosby offered her drugs and she willing accepted them. She was not forced or hidden in her drink.

I did loads of drugs back in those days. It seemed like pretty much everyone did. To me, if he told them what he was giving them and they accepted, the blame is on them. Quaaludes never convinced me to give it up, unless I already wanted to.

You don't understand how the legal code works. If you invite a woman to your place and she accepts and then you offer her drugs which she accepts and then she becomes intoxicated to the point where she is no longer competent to give legal consent, and then you have sex with her, then you have raped her. It wouldn't matter if she had brought her own drugs.

Intoxicated people, like children, are not competent to give legal consent. If that were not the case, once a person had become intoxicated she would lose all protection of law allowing a predator to do whatever he wished with impunity. We don't permit that for children and we don't permit it for a stoned person.

Edited by CaptHaddock

Let's forget what either one say about this case. There are no witnesses so it is his word against hers. He says she was willing, and she says she was not. He says he offered her drugs and willing took them, and she says she didn't know what they were. We will never know who is actually lying except these 2.

I just look at the behavior of the accused after this incident in January 2004. She doesn't act like a rape victim towards the rapist. In fact she acts more like his friend, and even introduces her parents to him. Doesn't lay charges on him until a year later, which would help her in her Civil Suit which she files a year after that and wins on a no contest. Cosby felt it was better to pay her and shut her up.

I don't smell a rape here. I smell a money grab. Plain and simple as that.

If they didn't report it the next day, then it probably wasn't rape.

If they introduced him to their parents later, then it definitely wasn't rape.

Can you imagine .......

'Hi, Bill, this is my mum and dad ...... Mum, dad, this is Bill the guy who raped me a few weeks ago'

'Now what would we all like to drink ....... Bill, any of those Quaaludes left for mums drink?'

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You don't understand how the legal code works. If you invite a woman to your place and she accepts and then you offer her drugs which she accepts and then she becomes intoxicated to the point where she is no longer competent to give legal consent, and then you have sex with her, then you have raped her. It wouldn't matter if she had brought her own drugs.

Intoxicated people, like children, are not competent to give legal consent. If that were not the case, once a person had become intoxicated she would lose all protection of law allowing a predator to do whatever he wished with impunity. We don't permit that for children and we don't permit it for a stoned person.

Well, if intoxicated people are not competent to give legal consent, then intoxicated are also not competent to knowing commit a crime like rape either. But we both know this is not how it works.

There is something wrong with our legal system when a woman massage therapist and one time basket ball coach can get a man arrested like Bill Cosby, and charged for a crime just on her word alone, and an election promise from a DA that if he gets elected he will charge Bill Cosby.

What proof do they have except her saying she was not willing? Where is all those people screaming and saying innocent until proven guilty? This mans reputation has been ruined regardless of the outcome of this trial. Where he has to spend millions to defend himself of her word alone.

It doesn't follow at all that lack of competence to give legal consent means lack of responsibility for harming others. Where would you get that idea? You're always responsible for what you do to others, but when you are intoxicated you are not responsible for what they do to you because your ability to protect yourself has been diminished.

Cosby has been indicted, not judged. A jury will do that at the trial at which time the question of what proof they have will be answered fully. What is "a man like Bill Cosby" anyway? He should be free from accusation because he is rich? Or famous? Or funny? Those people should be legally held above suspicion? Would that include O. J. Simpson?

The US legal system is indeed inherently unfair because access to the system depends overwhelmingly depends on wealth, but Cosby is not an example of an unfortunate who lacks access to legal representation, for instance. Cosby is already using his financial clout to silence his accusers by suing a number of them for defamation knowing that the financial burden of defending themselves is likely to ruin some of them. Trials in criminal cases are not the norm at all despite white most Americans think. 97% of criminal cases never go to trial, but are resolved through plea bargaining for which lack of money to pay defense lawyers is one of the major reasons. Cosby will not have that disadvantage, you can be sure.

Wow, when first saw the picture of this gal in the papers I thought it was a guy...she looks like Howard Stern on a bad hair day. What was he thinking! In any case, this is a pretty pathetic prosecution to bring considering it was an apparent case of maybe non-consensual sex that happened over a decade ago between adults wherein the supposed victim has already received compensation for any injuries in civil court.

With all the crime in penselvania, it's a stupendous waste of police, prosecutorial, and judicial resources to bring this case. If the defendant wasn't named "Cosby," and some local ambitious district attorney didn't want to make a name for themselves, this case would never have been brought.

Well, if intoxicated people are not competent to give legal consent, then intoxicated are also not competent to knowing commit a crime like rape either. But we both know this is not how it works.

There is something wrong with our legal system when a woman massage therapist and one time basket ball coach can get a man arrested like Bill Cosby, and charged for a crime just on her word alone, and an election promise from a DA that if he gets elected he will charge Bill Cosby.

What proof do they have except her saying she was not willing? Where is all those people screaming and saying innocent until proven guilty? This mans reputation has been ruined regardless of the outcome of this trial. Where he has to spend millions to defend himself of her word alone.

Looks like he ruined his own reputation from the over 50 women who have come forward, so far.

Looks like he ruined his own reputation from the over 50 women who have come forward, so far.

To a point I totally agree with you. I don't think it is a "maybe" that Cosby had extra marital affairs during his marriage with what appears to be with many women, although I do believe they consented to this. But then nobody took a head count of all the Producers and Directors in Hollywood and how many female clients came to them for "Career Advice" either.

But to preach the good clean healthy life and then do something like this is wrong. You will get no argument out of me on this. I am not trying to make him out as a Saint. So he did to a point do this to himself, which I am sure he is well aware of.

But it is also quite surprising how the American People are so forgiving towards people for something like this. Look at President Bill Clinton. He had an affair while in Office. He even lied to the American People about this at first and said nothing happened. But when he finally saw he was trapped he came clean and said his was sorry, and his wife came out to say she forgave him, and that was the end of it. His wife, that forgave him, is now running for the President of the United States, and looks like she has a chance of winning.

In Canada the highest office in that land is Prime Minister. His wife after 3 children separated with him in 1977 leaving the boys with there father. She was caught on camera several times in the late 70's and early 80's visiting the disco place Studio 54 and once without any panties on. While married she had an ongoing affair with a member of the Rolling Stones. But the public did not blame her or the Prime Minister, or there children. Her oldest son, "Justin" is the present Prime Minister of Canada and still keeps a good relationship with his mother.

But having and affair and raping, is to totally and completely different matters, which people are not so willing to forget. That is a very serious accusation to make towards a person. Especially one in the Lime Light and who's future lively hood could depend on his name, reputation, and criminal record. So I think that before you charge a man of a crime like this, or the Pope, you had better have some evidence to prove this other then this woman's say so. Or to get some name as some Hot Shot DA using him to get you there. The was plenty of evidence against OJ, but it just never got heard in court because of mishandling of it.

So where were these 50 women before all this came to light recently? The first occurrence with Bill Cosby is said to have happen in 1965, or 50 years ago. Could it be that they never came forward before as they didn't feel like they were raped? That they consented to these advances. So they just moved on a let any possible case expire on the 12 Year Statue of Limitations.

But then is 2006 a miracle happens! One of these women decide to sue Cosby in a Civil Suit and he agrees to pay her hush money. Whow! I bet the other 49 women wished they had thought of that first. But now, when some High Profile Lawyer is willing to hear there case and take in on for free, or a commission, they all come popping out of the wood work. Sure! I can understand that it can take 50 years before the reality and the pain from rape suddenly hits you. Or is it a Million Dollar Law Suit? .

To a point I totally agree with you. I don't think it is a "maybe" that Cosby had extra marital affairs during his marriage with what appears to be with many women, although I do believe they consented to this. But then nobody took a head count of all the Producers and Directors in Hollywood and how many female clients came to them for "Career Advice" either.

But to preach the good clean healthy life and then do something like this is wrong. You will get no argument out of me on this. I am not trying to make him out as a Saint. So he did to a point do this to himself, which I am sure he is well aware of.

But it is also quite surprising how the American People are so forgiving towards people for something like this. Look at President Bill Clinton. He had an affair while in Office. He even lied to the American People about this at first and said nothing happened. But when he finally saw he was trapped he came clean and said his was sorry, and his wife came out to say she forgave him, and that was the end of it. His wife, that forgave him, is now running for the President of the United States, and looks like she has a chance of winning.

In Canada the highest office in that land is Prime Minister. His wife after 3 children separated with him in 1977 leaving the boys with there father. She was caught on camera several times in the late 70's and early 80's visiting the disco place Studio 54 and once without any panties on. While married she had an ongoing affair with a member of the Rolling Stones. But the public did not blame her or the Prime Minister, or there children. Her oldest son, "Justin" is the present Prime Minister of Canada and still keeps a good relationship with his mother.

But having and affair and raping, is to totally and completely different matters, which people are not so willing to forget. That is a very serious accusation to make towards a person. Especially one in the Lime Light and who's future lively hood could depend on his name, reputation, and criminal record. So I think that before you charge a man of a crime like this, or the Pope, you had better have some evidence to prove this other then this woman's say so. Or to get some name as some Hot Shot DA using him to get you there. The was plenty of evidence against OJ, but it just never got heard in court because of mishandling of it.

So where were these 50 women before all this came to light recently? The first occurrence with Bill Cosby is said to have happen in 1965, or 50 years ago. Could it be that they never came forward before as they didn't feel like they were raped? That they consented to these advances. So they just moved on a let any possible case expire on the 12 Year Statue of Limitations.

But then is 2006 a miracle happens! One of these women decide to sue Cosby in a Civil Suit and he agrees to pay her hush money. Whow! I bet the other 49 women wished they had thought of that first. But now, when some High Profile Lawyer is willing to hear there case and take in on for free, or a commission, they all come popping out of the wood work. Sure! I can understand that it can take 50 years before the reality and the pain from rape suddenly hits you. Or is it a Million Dollar Law Suit? .

So your view of rape is that it is nothing more than an extra marital affair???

Astounding.

So they came out in the open after all these years or am I missing something?

More or less and grossly simplified, pretty much yes. Which is a big reason it's been hard to find a case that is recent enough for it to stand a chance of conviction. Why the delays? Lots of reasons that many of the women have already said. Many thought nobody would believe such a story about the icon of goodness that Cosby used to be. These weren't rapes like walking down a dark alley. The women were hanging out with Cosby with consent so when rape victims come forward in cases like that, THEY are under suspicion as well. It's often just easier to leave it be. Of course in real life there are lots of unfair rape accusations and convictions, but when you've got SO MANY women saying pretty much the same story about Cosby I don't think the public assumption of guilt is unfair. Doesn't need to be in ALL cases. The odds that he wasn't guilty in some cases seem pretty much nil.

As far as this ONE case, perhaps the assumption of guilt shouldn't be there. The case may fail in court. But the public perception of guilt in general for Cosby won't EVER go away. Not a chance of that.

Edited by Jingthing

It doesn't follow at all that lack of competence to give legal consent means lack of responsibility for harming others. Where would you get that idea? You're always responsible for what you do to others, but when you are intoxicated you are not responsible for what they do to you because your ability to protect yourself has been diminished.

Cosby has been indicted, not judged. A jury will do that at the trial at which time the question of what proof they have will be answered fully. What is "a man like Bill Cosby" anyway? He should be free from accusation because he is rich? Or famous? Or funny? Those people should be legally held above suspicion? Would that include O. J. Simpson?

The US legal system is indeed inherently unfair because access to the system depends overwhelmingly depends on wealth, but Cosby is not an example of an unfortunate who lacks access to legal representation, for instance. Cosby is already using his financial clout to silence his accusers by suing a number of them for defamation knowing that the financial burden of defending themselves is likely to ruin some of them. Trials in criminal cases are not the norm at all despite white most Americans think. 97% of criminal cases never go to trial, but are resolved through plea bargaining for which lack of money to pay defense lawyers is one of the major reasons. Cosby will not have that disadvantage, you can be sure.

Come On! Use your better judgement! We are not talking about some 14 year old girl tricked into coming to some famous actors house and having pills dumped in her Coca Cola without her knowledge.

At the time of this alleged crime this woman was 31 years old. She decided on her own to go to Bill Cosby's Private Home, while his wife was away, for "Career Advice". What type of "Career Advice" would such a woman who is a Basket Ball Coach expect to get from a famous actor for free? Even if this was true, don't you think it would have been more appropriate for her to meet him at his office instead of his home when his wife is away?

This 31 year old woman knew exactly what was about to happen before she even got there. That is why she did't try to leave right away and had wine with him. Maybe she didn't know about the drugs, until she agreed to try some, but she certainly knew what to expect and how this game would unfold. Only a Fool wouldn't! You can also be sure she did not show up at his house dressed in her Track Suit and carrying a Basket Ball, to throw a few hoops with him. So for what other reason why she was there?

I agree that women who are slipped some knock out drug in there drinks without there knowledge, and then later taken sexual advantage off, needs protection from the law. But this is clearly not the case. In this case it is the rich and famous like Bill Cosby who needs protection from a stupid act, from women like this who know how to play the legal system to there advantage.

In Divorce Cases to, for that matter. Tiger Woods extra marital affairs cost him Millions in Divorce Court. Stupid and careless? Sure! But also overly generous to a Divorced Wife of a few years, who before she met him was a Nanny and Housekeeper. .

So they came out in the open after all these years or am I missing something?

More or less and grossly simplified, pretty much yes. Which is a big reason it's been hard to find a case that is recent enough for it to stand a chance of conviction. Why the delays? Lots of reasons that many of the women have already said. Many thought nobody would believe such a story about the icon of goodness that Cosby used to be. These weren't rapes like walking down a dark alley. The women were hanging out with Cosby with consent so when rape victims come forward in cases like that, THEY are under suspicion as well. It's often just easier to leave it be. Of course in real life there are lots of unfair rape accusations and convictions, but when you've got SO MANY women saying pretty much the same story about Cosby I don't think the public assumption of guilt is unfair. Doesn't need to be in ALL cases. The odds that he wasn't guilty in some cases seem pretty much nil.

As far as this ONE case, perhaps the assumption of guilt shouldn't be there. The case may fail in court. But the public perception of guilt in general for Cosby won't EVER go away. Not a chance of that.

Yes! Lots of reasons! No doubt Cosby used his fame, fortune, and show business connections to have sex with women half his age. But if that was a crime then the streets of Pattaya would be almost empty as everyone would be locked up for that.

I am sure the Bar Girl in most cases gives her consent for sex, but as a willing partner, as in a 23 year old with a 63 year old, I hardly doubt that. Stop paying and see how far that gets you. So as long as this young woman is accepting money then she is a willing partner and is consenting to sex. But take this money out of the picture, and now throw in "Career Advice" or advancement, and this suddenly becomes Rape.

But he didn't have to force women to do this, or drug them, anymore than a rock band has to. There are just too many willing and out there for that to happen and are more willing to take other forms of future payment. Whether this materializes or not.

It is one thing to lay charges and have them dropped. It is another to not do anything or try to. Unless of course you feel partly to blame for this and didn't think you were raped. That you consented. Who knows for sure. I just know if they wanted to avoid this they could have, That says enough for me. .

So your view of rape is that it is nothing more than an extra marital affair???

Astounding.

What is "Astounding" is how you came to this conclusion from what I wrote.