What's so great about Chiang Mai?

banter68

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandkids live here. Makes it worth it...plus B30 water bill, B35 going out to eat and meal (veggie restaurant) B40 once a week trash pick up (and they supply the bags) house paid for (not much of a place but paid for) all this helps too...Nice though to head to a island durning the smoky time...Love it here.

Do you wash?

Had a B9 water bill last month thanks to the village imposing drought restrictions!

Correction.. wife says 11 thb.

my bad.

Edited by whiterussian

Of course Chiengmai (please excuse the old spelling and how Thai people pronounce the city).

it is simply a city.

It is not cute, but I remember that finding a "Falang' shoe size was impossible. Acquiring a turkey was a serious project planned 6 months in advance,

If you choose to live in a city in Asia, with all the perks of a western village. You have it.

I believe I have more to complain about Westerners than i do about Thais. :-)

....Ken

I have read there is in the neighborhood of 8 million rai of corn in the North, much of it contracted to certain large corporations. You burn that and you get a lot of smoke. A lot of that came online around 2007, I believe, and things have been pretty bad ever since. That is on top of the rice, forest and orchard burning.

What's good about Chiang Mai?

The Russians, Indians, Arabs, and hordes of toothless bar stool Brits haven't found it yet. ;-) (just having a poke, relax)

Seriously though, Chiang Mai has positives and negatives, as does any place. Whichever one you focus on the most is what you'll see.

It can be a struggle sometimes to overlook the BS, but it's important not to dwell on it. That's how you end up bitter.

The Russians, Indians, Arabs, and hordes of toothless bar stool Brits haven't found it yet. ;-) (just having a poke, relax)

Seriously though, Chiang Mai has positives and negatives, as does any place. Whichever one you focus on the most is what you'll see.

It can be a struggle sometimes to overlook the BS, but it's important not to dwell on it. That's how you end up bitter.

Maybe not a lot of toothless barstool Brits here but that's compensated for by a there being a dispropriate number of conspiratorial newagers.

Maybe not a lot of toothless barstool Brits here but that's compensated for by a there being a dispropriate number of conspiratorial newagers.

I'll admit that I've met some kooky people in Chiang Mai. But you should see Ubud in Bali, it is ground zero for them. Ubud is to newagers what Pattaya is to alcoholics. ;-) But hey, whatever makes you happy. Just don't hurt anyone in the process.

If I had the money and could live 3-6 mths in CM (Nov to Feb or whenever the smoke becomes bad) and the rest down south/overseas, then I might take up that option. I have met a few Expats who do exactly that - and good luck to them thumbsup.gif

If you're a single renter, and assuming you don't get beefed with the non-return of your deposit, then three months elsewhere shouldn't cost any more than the journey there and back. Indeed, if you made it clear that you'd be a regular in (say) Udon Jan-Mar, Chiang Mai Apr-Dec, there's no real reason why you couldn't find two landlords to facilitate that.

I had good coffee in Laos. Thai coffee is pretty raunch though and not worth the price,If I want a good strong cup I'll go to Starbucks otherwise I just drink instant; cheaper and tastes a bit better than what you get in the local coffee shops.

I had good coffee in Laos. Thai coffee is pretty raunch though and not worth the price,If I want a good strong cup I'll go to Starbucks otherwise I just drink instant; cheaper and tastes a bit better than what you get in the local coffee shops.

That's what I've been saying to all those Starbucks haterz. Thai coffee is just bad (too acid). I'm better off drinking instant.

Being a Brit and an avid tea drinker I really do not know the difference between a good coffee or a bad one, one thing I do know that when Ido have coffee in a coffee shop it more often or not tastes bitter.

What should I be looking for in a good coffee.

Thanks.

Being a Brit and an avid tea drinker I really do not know the difference between a good coffee or a bad one, one thing I do know that when Ido have coffee in a coffee shop it more often or not tastes bitter.

Thanks.

The answer to bitter coffee ...... milk and sugar.

Thanks.

Good question. All I know is that the cup I make at home in the morning is as good as or better than most I've had around the world. Thai coffee. And family in UK insist I bring plenty of roasted beans with me when I visit.

Thanks.

The answer to bitter coffee ...... milk and sugar.

bah.gif

In starbacks have coffe?

whistling.gifgigglem.gifcheesy.gif ...

Thanks.

Good question. All I know is that the cup I make at home in the morning is as good as or better than most I've had around the world. Thai coffee. And family in UK insist I bring plenty of roasted beans with me when I visit.

In Thai not perfect cofee.. but its can say good..

PC

I am not fun coffe ..

But in world have better place for coffe..thumbsup.gif

In starbucks have good strong coffe??blink.png

When i visit US what its first problem not easy find cofeeshop with good coffe.. only sturbaks.. not as in many Europe country...sad.png

Perhaps, those claiming Thai coffee is bitter, should try a small cup of coffee with the Bedouin in the deserts of Arabia, home of coffee. Wow, that's good, with some fresh dates (not those sticky things). And, I've been to Mocha, Yemen...

In starbucks have good strong coffe??blink.png

When i visit US what its first problem not easy find cofeeshop with good coffe.. only sturbaks.. not as in many Europe country...sad.png

I think when you visit US what its first problem is people understanding what you're on about