Over 21,000 drunk drivers arrested over the holiday period in Thailand

webfact

Over 21,000 drunk drivers arrested over the holiday period
By Coconuts Bangkok

checkpoint_1.jpg
A pickup truck was stopped at a checkpoint during the New Year's Holiday. Photo: National Council for Peace and Order

BANGKOK: -- Despite the insane number of drivers arrested during the holiday period, the number of road accidents in Thailand has not decreased compared to last year’s figures.

We can safely conclude that drunk driving is still the leading cause of road accidents during the holidays.

The National Council for Peace and Order says it arrested 21,690 drivers for driving under the influence of alcohol between Dec. 25 and Jan. 2.

Some 3,046 of these drivers had their vehicles confiscated and immediately pulled off the road, in a move to get tough with drunk driving.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/04/over-21000-drunk-drivers-arrested-over-holiday-period

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-04

.............We can safely conclude that drunk driving is still the leading cause of road accidents during the holidays.......

Well then, why the HELL wasn't something done about this years ago? Laughable, abysmal, pathetic, scandalous!

>>The National Council for Peace and Order says it arrested 21,690 drivers for driving under the influence of alcohol between Dec. 25 and Jan. 2.<< Quote

If there are no consequences for those drivers "arrested",, the whole exercise becomes meaningless........................coffee1.gif

...says it arrested 21,690 drivers for driving under the influence of alcohol ....

...Some 3,046 of these drivers had their vehicles confiscated and immediately pulled off the road....

what made the difference?

2x crispy brown notes....

...says it arrested 21,690 drivers for driving under the influence of alcohol ....

...Some 3,046 of these drivers had their vehicles confiscated and immediately pulled off the road....

The same reason the lounge chairs are back on the beach in Hua Hin right up to the water line, and why the Patong jet ski thugs have 50% of the beach reserved for their illegal activity?

I might be the minority here but Well Done Thailand!

Great to see that measures are being taken to stop the deaths.

It was in my lifetime that it was possible to drive drunk in the UK with no major consequences.

People forget this is a developing country and will need time to get to the standards of the West.

So only 14% of the people arrested for drink driving had their vehicles impounded.whistling.gif I wonder what the going rate was to avoid having the car/motorbike seized? Nice back hander for the BIB at the checkpoints, their Xmas/HNY bonus I guess.clap2.gifclap2.gif

You are not going to fix drunk driving overnight. Instead of 21,690 people being charged on only 3,046 having their vehicles seized, all should have had this happen to them. They could then get them back with the warning that if they are found drunk in the next 5 years they will lose them permanently, along with their licences for 3 years.

It should not be a campaign over the "dangerous" periods. With or without festivals / holidays an unacceptable amount of people die on our roads, making it a long term policy is the only way to change mind sets.

There seems to be a lot of slow learners on Thailand's roads, the figure of 21,000 potential road accidents perhaps resulting in serious injury or death , make you wonder how much responsibility Thailand drivers can handle, very little it would seem.....................................coffee1.gif .

....please define 'arrested'....

No idea how the soldiers are handling that, but a relative on Phuket got busted drunk driving his pickup two, or three years ago.

No accident occurred, the guy had to stay a few days in prison, plus had to pay a real hefty fine and it did lecture him.

Would be great to know what the Peace and Order guys mean with an arrest. Where are the honest alcoholics on this forum, please?

Please share your experience with us, we won't tell anybody else about it. I swear. -wai2.gif

P.S. Please be aware that Farcebook is reading the thread as well !!

Edited by lostinisaan

I might be the minority here but Well Done Thailand!

Great to see that measures are being taken to stop the deaths.

It was in my lifetime that it was possible to drive drunk in the UK with no major consequences.

People forget this is a developing country and will need time to get to the standards of the West.

I agree with you! Besides that many people seem so negative about Thailand and what's happening here. Be glad that they try to solve the drunk driving problem.

21,000 arrested?

That is a staggering number... hat off to the police. Good job!

Keep it up lads!

Yup good job but why didn't they confiscate their vehicles? Or did they ride waterbuffalo's which have to be fed daily?

It will take more than arresting a few drunk drivers over the holidays to stop the carnage on the roads It will take Years & years of 24/7 of Policing and enforcing the law and educating before one can see results ,,,,Won't hold my breath,,,,

A lousy 20 Baht??

post-693-0-90505400-1451911296_thumb.jpg

21,000 arrested?

That is a staggering number... hat off to the police. Good job!

Keep it up lads!

Yup good job but why didn't they confiscate their vehicles? Or did they ride waterbuffalo's which have to be fed daily?

The main problem was that all the Kubotas didn't fit in.And would a cop lose face riding such a dream?

It seems that you haven't been to Isaan yet. I can see that you haven't been here when I look at the way you've spelled water buffaloes....thumbsup.gif

post-158336-0-89943900-1451912325_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

A lousy 20 Baht??

attachicon.gifBaht10b.jpg

A lousy 20 Baht?? Not even. Just a plain old obsolete 10 baht.

attachicon.gifpost-9891-0-97230700-1451912609_thumb.jp