Standard Chartered forecasts Thai economy will grow 4% this year

webfact

Standard Chartered forecasts Thai economy will grow 4% this year

sc.jpg

BANGKOK, 21 January 2016 (NNT) - Standard Chartered Bank (Thailand) has forecast that the Thai economy will be able to expand by 4% this year, due to government investments and tax incentives.

A senior economist at Standard Chartered Bank, Usara Wilaipit, said other factors contributing to economic growth include higher consumer spending, better tourism, government megaprojects, and investment incentives for small and medium enterprises.

However, Mrs Usara said the export sector plays a major role in determining economic growth and is affected by the global economy and declining oil prices. Export revenue has fallen because of declining market prices of export goods.

Despite these risks, she claimed the export sector could grow by as much as 3% this year. She speculated that the U.S. Federal Reserve will likely adjust its interest rate policy again in the first quarter of this year. She also expects the Chinese economy will begin to improve in the second half of the year, due to its focus on fiscal policy.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-21 footer_n.gif

She talks about ' better ' tourism but what does that actually mean, more tourists or more of the much vaunted quality variety but irrespective everybody spending big ?

However this doesn't square with the minister's boasts about increasing numbers from China, you know the ones who come on pre-paid packages and spend very little when actually here.

If the lady is basing her projections on figures supplied by the govt in general, the tourism ministry and TAT etc what's the chance her findings are way off the beam ?

Head in the clouds or up the darkest part of their anatomy.

I presume she is talking about the 'talked about' Government Investments that we keep hearing about but never see a sod turned...just a flag waving nationalistic ceremony for something in the middle of nowhere !

Exports will decline again this year due to the baht being overvalued. As for tourist revenues, tourist numbers up as forecast but these low quality, noisy tourists will be spending the bare minimum. Parts of Thailand are fast becoming no go zones, more like battle zones.

Thailand lately is having a surge in optimistic economic news but the quiet reality speaks of harsh economic times ahead. Even the ordinary people realize that all these government feel good news items are just not true.

Investments have dropped dramatically, and investors will continue to stay away as the political problem becomes more chaotic and uncertain. The government is on the edge of a cliff, that is why the sudden u-turn with the rubber growers. But what of the next crisis? Will the junta resign or go for a total lockdown.

Last year they forecast 5 per cent and it was just above 0

If you mean 2015, I think they estimated 6% while the final figure looks like it will come out to about 2.5%. The year before they said 3.5% vs. actual growth of 0.7%. So they definitely have a history of guessing, I mean predicting high.

The most accurate forecast I saw for 2015 was BoT. They got it just about right on.

Seeing as she no doubt received her economics degree in Thailand, I can understand how she would have come up with that figure.

She pulled it outta thin air...

She speculated

She expects

She claimed

Wait for it.....

She also expects.

As Donald Trump would say... You're fired!!!!

Edited by ldiablo

Head in the clouds or up the darkest part of their anatomy.

I presume she is talking about the 'talked about' Government Investments that we keep hearing about but never see a sod turned...just a flag waving nationalistic ceremony for something in the middle of nowhere !

The only economic invest is the chokehold they are putting on the internet. They they do a U turn so fast it makes my head spin and their constantly speak with forked tongue.