Meet Thailand’s Top Gun

rooster59

Meet Thailand’s Top Gun

By Cole Pennington
Correspondent

14534644001453464736l.jpg

Group Capt. Rawin Thanomsingha. Photo: Courtesy Rawin Thanonmsginha

KORAT — Group Capt. Rawin Thanomsingha was soaring nearly five kilometers above Thailand when the engine acted up.

Normally it wouldn’t be a big deal for the fighter jock with 20 years experience flying F-16s, but on that day in November, he was seated in the back with an inexperienced pilot-in-training up front where the engine start-up and kill controls are located.

“At 15,000 feet we had engine trouble,” Rawin said. “We had to shut it down.” Thailand flies around 50 F-16s, some built in the early days of the jet fighter’s production, so engine trouble isn’t unheard of.

The trainee managed to kill the engine and the unpowered plane started sinking. The F-16 is capable of gliding, but not for very long.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453464400

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-24

The trainee managed to kill the engine and the unpowered plane started sinking. The F-16 is capable of gliding, but not for very long.

As soon as they touched the ground the two ran away, took the air force three days to find them.

Top Gun???????5555555 never fired a shot in war, what a farce?

In this day and age, besides bombing terrorists on the ground who don't have the equipment to shoot back, how many fighter pilots in the world actually have 'war' experience?

Besides 'Top Gun' isn't actually a title, so why can't they call him that? What a farce indeed.

The F-16 has a glide path like a round rock.going forward and down fast.In an" engine out " the procedure is to eject fast Restarting on this aircraft has been rarely done.I doubt if the trainee pilot caused an engine failure but it is easier to blame him then The Air force's poor engine maintenance

In this day and age, besides bombing terrorists on the ground who don't have the equipment to shoot back, how many fighter pilots in the world actually have 'war' experience?

Besides 'Top Gun' isn't actually a title, so why can't they call him that? What a farce indeed.

I guess Turkey would claim the most recent

This is a good positive story - I don't see how anyone of healthy and balanced mind can create a negative spin on this as some posters seem to have managed.

This Pilot is doing many school boys dream job... perhaps some are just a dash jealous or their western sensitivities have been damaged because a 'native' has achieved more success.... Or perhaps some are just miserable sods...

Good on the Pilot, he remained cool, helped his trainee save the plane and their lives without having to risk ejection. I can only see positive in this story.

Many militaries have battle experienced air crews.Ever hear of Operation Inherent Resolve in Syria? Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the UAE and the USA have been regularly attacking ISIL forces. Australia expanded its air campaign last September beyond Iraq to include Syria. France, the UK are participating. The Dutch air force is flying out of Jordan.

ISIL most certainly has the means to shoot down advanced aircraft. The Turkish, Jordanian and Russian militaries have lost helicopters and jets during the recent conflict. Overall I would estimate that there are a great many fighter pilots with battle experience, especially in some air forces.

The F-16 has a glide path like a round rock.going forward and down fast.In an" engine out " the procedure is to eject fast Restarting on this aircraft has been rarely done.I doubt if the trainee pilot caused an engine failure but it is easier to blame him then The Air force's poor engine maintenance

I bet the trainee was mr Bean.