Some Say This, Some Say That...

I've been trying to understand these new visarules, but with some

contradicting information from my lawyer in Bangkok, the Thai Embassy in Oslo

(where I live) and expats in Thailand concerning the 90 days quarantine, I

wanted to write to you in order to obtain the corrcet answer.

>

> Do these new rules apply only to visa-on-arrival? Can I get the 60 days

tourist visa at the embassy in Oslo, go to Thailand, spend 60 days there, extend

it for another 30 days, go to any thai embassy/consulate outside the kingdom,

get a new 60 days tourist visa and go back again to Thailand immediately? Or

would I have to wait 90 days outside the kingdom either way?

1. Do these new rules apply only to visa-on-arrival?

2. Can I get the 60 days tourist visa at the embassy in Oslo, go to Thailand, spend 60 days there, extend it for another 30 days, go to any thai embassy/consulate outside the kingdom, get a new 60 days tourist visa and go back again to Thailand immediately?

3. Or would I have to wait 90 days outside the kingdom either way?

1. Yes (but it is called “visa-exempt entry”, not visa on arrival)

2. Yes

3. No

--------------

Maestro

Thanks, Maestro

Another option is a non-immigrant-B visa. I do have a thai company, and I DO

intend to open my own shop, but not quite yet, because I am still a bit tied up

here in Norway. Can I get the non-immigrant-B visa, go to Thailand BUT NOT use

it to get the work permit, (just stay as a tourist) without getting into

trouble? I did it last year with no problem.

Makri, i would just fly to Singapore every 3 months and get a tourist visa,

Wasn't Singapore and Hong Kong the worst places for a TV ?

I heard that they already stopped giving back to back visa's. So you pay a flight, a few days in expensive hotels (how long does it take in Singapore ?) and all you get a lousy 7 day visa and a red stamp in your passport.

Edited by llothar

Which method would you recommend? Which gives me the longest, least interrupted and troublesome stay? I wish to stay 5-6 months this winter

In your circumstances I'd go for the 12 month multiple entry Non IMM B Business visa. Can stay 90 days then quick border hop for another 90 days giving you your 6 months.

Another option is a non-immigrant-B visa. I do have a thai company, and I DO

intend to open my own shop, but not quite yet, because I am still a bit tied up

here in Norway. Can I get the non-immigrant-B visa, go to Thailand BUT NOT use

it to get the work permit, (just stay as a tourist) without getting into

trouble? I did it last year with no problem.

Only the consulate at which you plan to apply can tell you what documents they want to see with an application for a non-B visa.

According to reports in this forum, it has become more difficult to get a multiple-entry non-B visa from a consulates in neighbouring countries of Thailand.

The official rules for the non-B visa are here on the website of Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and you will have to see how your consulate applies them.

---------------

Maestro

Which method would you recommend? Which gives me the longest, least interrupted and troublesome stay? I wish to stay 5-6 months this winter

As I understand it (!) if your local consulate/embassy will issue a double entry Tourist Visa, you can do

First entry: 60 days, extend for 30 days

Visa run, Second entry: 60 days, extend for 30 days.

This gives you 6 months and you can still do 3 "visa exempt" entries before you need another Visa.

So you could get nearly 9 months if you take into account the odd days lost by doing runs.

Anybody wish to correct me, please do because that's what I'm planning hoping to do! :o

Edited by VBF

Try and get a Non immigrant O multi entry visa if possible. You will find this easy to do in your home country

If you are over 50, reason for applying for O visa – to get a retirement visa

If you have a condo or house here they take this as a reason

If you have a bank account here in Thailand with some money also a reason

This visa last twelve months and you only have to leave the country every 90 days.

Hope this is of help

Anybody wish to correct me, please do because that's what I'm planning hoping to do! :o

VBF, your plan is flawless.

Applying in your home country, you might even get a triple-entry tourist visa. Worth trying, anyway.

---------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

I heard that they already stopped giving back to back visa's. So you pay a flight, a few days in expensive hotels (how long does it take in Singapore ?) and all you get a lousy 7 day visa and a red stamp in your passport.

Does anyone know if the Thai Consulate in Phenom Phen Cambodia is liberal enough to give out a back to back Single Entry Tourist Visa ? I have a passport full of VOA's and Tourist Visas from the last 2 years etc. I am here in Thailand now on a Single Entry Tourist Visa, and I am weighing my options for when it expires. What is this 'Red Stamp' if I am rejected? does that mean I can't get a VOA after that happens; when I've decided to undertake my 'Plan B' and enter Thailand to then do my 3 VOA's visa runs if I can't get this Single Entry Tourist Visa is Phenom Phen.

I hope I haven't confused and someone can help with advice and experiences.

Thanks.

Most of the confusion comes from the fact that, until December 29 (or 26?) no-one really knows how the new rules will be interpreted.

Even then, things may not be clear, as the new guidelines seem to indicate that individual immigration officers now have more latitude to make case-by-case decisions.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if the Thai Consulate in Phenom Phen Cambodia is liberal enough to give out a back to back Single Entry Tourist Visa ?

According to this thread, Phnom Penh is making a big effort to discourage visa applicants who are not Cambodian nationals.

What is this 'Red Stamp' if I am rejected?

What red stamp? Do you mean the imaginary red stamp the troll calling himself “parabellum” is talking about here?

--------------

Maestro

Does anyone know if the Thai Consulate in Phenom Phen Cambodia is liberal enough to give out a back to back Single Entry Tourist Visa ?

According to this thread, Phnom Penh is making a big effort to discourage visa applicants who are not Cambodian nationals.

What is this 'Red Stamp' if I am rejected?

What red stamp? Do you mean the imaginary red stamp the troll calling himself “parabellum” is talking about here?

--------------

Maestro

Just to add, an American guy who i work with at a language school showed me the single entry tourist he got from PP last week. Stamped under the label on hi passport it says ( I can not remember word for word.............. " please do not come back to this consulate to apply for another tourist visa ")

There was also a small note paper clipped to his passport with the same notice, so yeah, dont expect to get more than a single entry from PP, and if you get it, dont plan to go back there again without any problems. This guy also has a work permit, so i have no idea why he applied for a tourist visa............

For what it is worth a couple of weeks ago I contacted the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong. They told me they told me they would issue 2 entry Tourist Visa (but not 3 or 4). Biggest hassle is that you have to produce air tickets for both trips so make sure you have tickets that can be changed.

Below is the current price list from their website. This also contains an E-mail address for up-to-date enquiries. They are helpful and efficient. Applications in by noon are available next morning at 9.30.

No. 11401/1020

Announcement

Please be advised that, with effect from 26 August 2003, visa fee will be revised as follows:

Transit Visa 160 HKD

Tourist Visa 200 HKD

Non-Immigrant Visa

Single Entry 400 HKD

Multiple Entries 1,000 HKD

For further inquiries, please contact Visa Section at 2532-5108 or send e-mail to [email protected]

Royal Thai Consulate-General

22 July 2003

(如有变更, 努不另行通知)