High-Powered motorbike driver critical after Central Pattaya road crash

webfact

High-Powered motorbike driver critical after Central Pattaya road crash

crash-2.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Tuesday, a motorbike driver was critically injured after his bike hit temporary barriers at the Central Pattaya Underpass construction site and his body ended up on the road underneath a coach.

Police and Medics attended the scene of the crash and attended to the injured man, who is thought to be aged in his Thirties but was carrying no ID with him. He was driving a Honda CBR motorbike which was seen to hit temporary barriers on the narrow section of the Sattahip-bound carriageway of the Sukhumvit Road.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221227/high-powered-motorbike-driver-critical-after-central-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-02-02

.....and the barriers are visibly marked to be seen by approaching traffic at night?

I was in a city in Issan last year. Barriers in the middle of the road with no street lights nearby, no reflectors, and no lights on them. Missed them by inches. Just couldn't see them.

Safety here is not a top priority. Sadly.

A Click, or PCX or a Fino, or a Scoopy-is a motorBIKE.

A CBR 300 or 500 is a motorCYCLE.

I really wish reporters would learn the difference.

A click, PCX or Fino or Scoopy is a SCOOTER

A CBR300 is barely a motorBIKE and anything above is a motorCYCLE

smile.png

I was also travelling on the new road up to BKK the other week and there were huge concrete blocks in the road on an unfinished part of the highway.... not a reflector or sign in sight! Bloody dangerous is an understatement!

looks like a CBR300 or maybe a 500, any bike capable of 100kmh + could just as easily end in a fatal crash

Your assumption that big bikes = speed = more fatalities is totally wrong.

In fact the evidence is all around you. By far the largest amount of motorcycle accidents is riders on small bikes.

In the OP the rider hit a barrier and unfortunately went under the wheels of another vehicle. No mention of speed involved.

The amount of big bike accidents is obvious just by the fact they can still grab a headline on TV!

The daily coach and bus accidents don't always do that. They are common.

At any times on a motorbike or car, you should be able to stop your vehicle within the area you can oversee, especially here in Thailand.

Yes, same as the advice given by the UK police riders handbook

• be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your own side of the road

Good Advice, you can see a whole chapter of it here.

Roadcraft - Cornering, balance and avoiding skids

All good advice. But also should come with a warning. It's great for when people play by the rules, ok UK roads the majority do so it works - to a point.

But UK roads are very different to Thailand's roads. For many reasons the assumption that if you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe will come unstuck. Great when you have a long straight wide open bit of road with no side turnings. But assuming nothing is coming your way when going into a blind bend is a different matter. Just being able to stop might not be enough. You may need to also run away as well!

Maybe, as I have experienced a few times, there is an oncoming vehicle overtaking on the bend, sometimes even a minibus or coach.

Or maybe another surprise?

Is it really THAT important, when everyone knows that people can kill or be killed on them all?

Edited by joebrown

At any times on a motorbike or car, you should be able to stop your vehicle within the area you can oversee, especially here in Thailand.

Yes, same as the advice given by the UK police riders handbook

• be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your own side of the road

Good Advice, you can see a whole chapter of it here.

Roadcraft - Cornering, balance and avoiding skids

All good advice. But also should come with a warning. It's great for when people play by the rules, ok UK roads the majority do so it works - to a point.

But UK roads are very different to Thailand's roads. For many reasons the assumption that if you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe will come unstuck. Great when you have a long straight wide open bit of road with no side turnings. But assuming nothing is coming your way when going into a blind bend is a different matter. Just being able to stop might not be enough. You may need to also run away as well!

Maybe, as I have experienced a few times, there is an oncoming vehicle overtaking on the bend, sometimes even a minibus or coach.

Or maybe another surprise?

Thank you for the Roadcraft link. Looks like my bible.

looks like a CBR300 or maybe a 500, any bike capable of 100kmh + could just as easily end in a fatal crash

In fact the evidence is all around you. By far the largest amount of motorcycle accidents is riders on small bikes.

In the OP the rider hit a barrier and unfortunately went under the wheels of another vehicle. No mention of speed involved.

The amount of big bike accidents is obvious just by the fact they can still grab a headline on TV!

I think you need to read my post again, here is a clue - a honda click scooter can do 100kmph

Is it really THAT important, when everyone knows that people can kill or be killed on them all?

Seems like the biker boys want to argue terminology while waiting for the ambulance.

Seems like the biker boys want to argue terminology while waiting for the ambulance.

Meanwhile, in other news,

A two wheeled vehicle was _________________________

If there were as many big bikes on the road as scooters, you'd probably have 20 big bike smashes to one scooter smash.

I would guess there's 1000 small bikes to every big bike.

If there were as many big bikes on the road as scooters, you'd probably have 20 big bike smashes to one scooter smash.

I would guess there's 1000 small bikes to every big bike.

While I agree that there are many more small bikes than big bikes your hypothesis does not match the evidence.

I think you will find there are now more big bikes than you estimate.

Larger bikes tend to do greater distances for a start, they simply are not used generally in the same way.

Riders tend to be older simply because of the amount a big bike costs.

They in general also have more experience.

They normally have a tendency to wear riding gear as well.

You are welcome to check for yourself. Just go over to facebook and start looking through the various emergency volunteer services pages, I have been for a couple of years now. Although it only takes the first look to get a picture of the situation. Or twitter is another option, every morning at rush hour the results start popping up.

There are now large groups of Bikers that gather regularly all over Thailand, thousands of miles covered by riders going to events. But when you talk with Police officers on the ground they report that it is normally not the big bike riders involved in the daily accidents, and when it is the chances are it's a farang on hire bike.