Uber tests cash option for Bangkok

Lumbini

Uber has been a real game changer for me traveling around Bangkok now not having to fight with cab drivers here to turn meter on or hope they will even agree to go to where I tell them I am going . Now I read about meters that are rigged to charge higher charges than what they should also . Bottom line getting taxi in Bangkok stinks so just hitting my Uber app for past year and having a car arrive with no problems that's clean fair and fast with everything documented is all good . Some say they can not use because they want to pay cash so here now is that option but I love the cashless system and not having to deal with tipping or getting change .

Uber tests cash option for Bangkok

<<<< 26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum. >>>>

Edited by metisdead

• 2 weeks later...

If you like Uber (and I do), you probably will also like GrabTaxi and All Thai Taxi. Similar smart phone apps to Uber's. All Thai takes credit cards. Grab Taxi is cash only. And GrabTaxi offers "Grab Car Economy" or "Garb Car Premium" that quotes a fixed fare in advance -- regardless of traffic delays or detours.

Grab does not have all the tracking and Internet features I don't think ? I am just amazed how slick Uber is , can even share my trip info and eta with location tracking with the person I am traveling to see or others and can rate driver .

Grab does not have all the tracking and Internet features I don't think ? I am just amazed how slick Uber is , can even share my trip info and eta with location tracking with the person I am traveling to see or others and can rate driver .

Grab has all of those features and you don't risk your credit card details being illegally used by a hacker. I use Grab nearly every day here in Pattaya and it is good.

​I don't want to turn this useful thread into a contest between Grab vs. Uber. However, Grab does have tracking, ETA sharing, and driver rating. So does All Thai Taxi. However the software to do that is far more polished on Uber. Grab's software is "clunky". I use all three.

​The main difference in my view is not software features, but availability of cars. For that, in Bangkok, Grab is the winner by far. Uber is good from the central city hotel areas (Silom, Sukhumvit). Similar for All Thai. But departing from outer locations (such as Thai Immigration Department or Postal Customs office in Chaeng Wattana), Grab will always have cars nearby, when All Thai or Uber most likely won't.

​Side note: Some (many?) Uber drivers also drive for Grab's "economy car" service. Exactly the same car and driver, just two mobile phones. Only difference is the software. My Thai ability is sufficient to discuss with these drivers which they like better, and why. All reply they like Grab better, because they know the destination at the time of the call. They don't like the fact that with Uber they never know the destination until the passenger gets in the car. So more of these "dual" drivers will respond to Grab, than to Uber, which results in more cars available. But in the software category, Uber easily wins first place.

Edited by PT4

Grab has all of those features and you don't risk your credit card details being illegally used by a hacker. I use Grab nearly every day here in Pattaya and it is good.

​Tolsti, that's a valid worry, but seems like you've never actually used Uber. The credit card is only entered once. If I remember correctly, on the Uber secure web site. Then stored in the Uber company computer. You don't actually hand a credit card to the driver at each ride with Uber. The Uber software knows who you are and automically charges your credit card on file. Then you get a neat receipt and trip summary by email immediately after the ride is finished. Chance of hacking is very remote That's why Uber is loved by travelers to foreign countries -- virtually no credit card risk at all.

Edited by PT4

PT4 thanks great information and downloaded the app. I live in center of city so Uber has been great but will try grab next time no Uber cars around or rate is more because of availability .

Edited by Lumbini