Keeping LINE messages when changing phones

Patanawet

I've just bought a new True smartphone from True, 5k Baht-( but that's probably irrelevant).

I'm using same old 3G AIS SIM card and number but cannot log onto my LINE account without them deleting all of my previous messages.

Why do they do this?------- is there any way to archive them?

I just went thru the same thing. If you Google Line, "forwarding messages to new phone" you will get pages from Line that explain what is a tedious, mega-multi step process...for each and every conversation.

Basically, you have to export each conversation to a memory card, then import each and every conversation from the memory card. There is no way to forward all your conversations in one operation that I could find.

I finally gave up. I forwarded the few entries I had to save to an email account. Just wasn't worth the effort.

Edited by dddave

You should register your email address, when transferring sim to a new phone your old conversations etc will be exported to your new phone.

Incorrect. Even if we register line account and login via new device, all the chat history will be deleted unless you've exported chat history...

• 3 weeks later...

So that takes about 2 minutes per conversation. I tried that before, very annoying and painstaking.

Use WhatsApp instead, you will keep your conversations without any problems. They just reappear on your new phone.

It's tough to migrate to another messaging app when you have already used a particular one, such as LINE for a year or more, especially here in Thailand where it seems to dominate. Switching messaging apps means having to convince your important contacts who don't have the new platform to swich, which they may not want to do. I know I don't want to load my mobile with WHAT'SAp, WeChat, VIBER, BEECHAT and the plethora of others out there. Between LINE and FB Messenger, I seem to cover most of the people I message with. The others, I'll just send an old fashioned SMS. Anybody remember those?

there is a way to restore everything just like you had if before, the method is quite straighforward once you have made it once

1- you need to have a rooted phone

2- install titanium backup and make full backup of your system settings at least and of your line application with data included, you can backup all the rest of your apps if you like

3- your new phone should have to be rooted also in order to use titanium to restore it

4- onces rooted and with titanium installed select in preferences the old backup you made, there is an option in titanium menu to restore android id from another backup, restore the id number of your old phone to your new phone pointing to that old backup, and then RESET your new phone

5- restore now using the same app (titanium) your line app with data included

6- run line and there you have all your chats, stickers, config, etc.

I have done it several times and it works, the key is the android id number, it is a very long number android assigns to every device and android instalation, if it is different from the one used with line before it will delete your data, but it will asume it is in the same phone if the id number is not changed. You can change even phone number and line will still be working fine.

It is possible that there are other options for changing android id number, but as you also need a backup of your line aplication with data included, titanium backup is a one app solution for both things.

With this methond you don't need to backup and restore each chat room individually,

Edited by josemanuel