Bringing peddle bike to Thailand

WilliamCave

Hi

I have a new peddle bike in Canada .

Would like to bring it back to Thailand with me I still have the original box and it is like new only a few miles on it.

It would be for my personal use only in Thailand it is worth about 1200 Canadian dollars

Has any one dine this before ?

Thanks in advance

I love bikes. Yesterday I pedaled 30km.I have brought bicycles as checked baggage, new and used several times arriving BKK and CNX with no issues or questions from customs. You can bring your bike to any bicycle shop in Canada and they will pack it properly (for example the pedals must be removed. Check with your airline ahead of travel for any extra baggage fees or reservation requirements.

Happy Pedaling!

Edited by arunsakda

Hi

I have a new peddle bike in Canada .

Would like to bring it back to Thailand with me I still have the original box and it is like new only a few miles on it.

It would be for my personal use only in Thailand it is worth about 1200 Canadian dollars

Has any one dine this before ?

Thanks in advance

i brought my 6000.00 ciooc with me. Stuck it into a bike box I got from a dealer. So when coming through the nothing to declare customs in BKK an agent did come up to me and asked about the new bike. I said no it was about 30 years old but a new box. He miles and I went on my way.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Edited by slerickson

I brought a folding Montague from the US in its custom case. Apart from collecting it from the oversize baggage claim, nobody bothered me as I rolled it through the green channel.

If doing the packing yourself, make sure you DEFLATE the tires as the baggage hold is mostly not-pressurized and anything with air will expand fairly explosively.

Cargo hold partially/not pressurised? Sorry, this is rubbish.

The only good reason to deflate tyres before loading on an aircraft is because the airlines require it

The cargo holds on all jet transports are pressurised to the same level as the cabin. Curved shapes of aircraft fuselage being the most efficient vessel, and as you can see on this A380 cross section constitute the pressure vessel. Cabin floors and dividers are not designed to contain pressure. Some unpressurized cargo compartments are found behind bulkheads on small executive aircraft, and of course unpressurized aircraft. The only examples I can think of is the external cargo pod on the BAE Jetstream-31, a fairly ancient 19 seat turboprop one does not see around much anymore and Boeings highly modified DreamLifter Cargo aircraft that have a huge unpressurised section behind a bulkhead.So-called Class D cargo compartments also in the past were designed to have reduced airflow for fire suppression purposes but his has nothing to do with pressurisation. ( I don’t think they are legal anymore 20 years since ValuJet disaster). Mammals could not be loaded there and maybe that is why some continue to suffer this misunderstanding.

Whilst in cruise the entire pressure vessel is say 6000-8000 feet pressure altitude. Ambient pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi and 0 in space.

So lets say you have 100psi in your road tyres at sea-level. If they were put on a plane in cruise the sealed volume of air would increase to say 115psi.

Do you think the tyres would explode even if only rated to 100 psi? (It does get cold down in the hold and the cold-soak would have a reducing effect on pressure as well.)

I think the worst thing that could actually occur is a pinch flat. I have been riding bikes for more than 40 years and the only time I have seen one

“pop” is where the outer casing was highly worn. We know aircraft tyres are very strong and filled with nitrogen, but the wheel wells are NOT pressurized. Do they often

explode? When Tour riders climb 4000 feet up the Col d’Aubisque, with tyres heating up from ride what happens? Has a guy never put a bike of his rack in San Francisco and driven to Lake Tahoe?

Lets just say the aircraft experienced an explosive decompression.The worst possible thing that could happen is a tyre would burst inside a sturdy cardboard box. Nobody would notice until you opened the box at your destination.

So all of this is silly rubbish based on old wives' tales and misunderstandings.

One also cannot take those CO2 cartridges for mini-pumps on planes because their is a blanket ban on "compressed gases” due to HAZMAT regulations.

Every self-inflating life jacket is equipped with an identical cartridge. Literally hundreds of them on a widebody. Silly innit?

post-84769-0-49021100-1455508623_thumb.p

Edited by arunsakda

I routinely bring my folding recumbent to Chiang Mai, in a suitcase. But we recently purchased a trike for my wife. We brought it from the US to Malaysia wrapped in 4mm plastic and were charged nothing. We did the same on AirAsia with no questions asked and no bicycle/sporting goods charge.

The only good reason to deflate tyres before loading on an aircraft is because the airlines require it

The cargo holds on all jet transports are pressurised to the same level as the cabin. Curved shapes of aircraft fuselage being the most efficient vessel, and as you can see on this A380 cross section constitute the pressure vessel. Cabin floors and dividers are not designed to contain pressure. Some unpressurized cargo compartments are found behind bulkheads on small executive aircraft, and of course unpressurized aircraft. The only examples I can think of is the external cargo pod on the BAE Jetstream-31, a fairly ancient 19 seat turboprop one does not see around much anymore and Boeings highly modified DreamLifter Cargo aircraft that have a huge unpressurised section behind a bulkhead.So-called Class D cargo compartments also in the past were designed to have reduced airflow for fire suppression purposes but his has nothing to do with pressurisation. ( I don’t think they are legal anymore 20 years since ValuJet disaster). Mammals could not be loaded there and maybe that is why some continue to suffer this misunderstanding.

Whilst in cruise the entire pressure vessel is say 6000-8000 feet pressure altitude. Ambient pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi and 0 in space.

So lets say you have 100psi in your road tyres at sea-level. If they were put on a plane in cruise the sealed volume of air would increase to say 115psi.

Do you think the tyres would explode even if only rated to 100 psi? (It does get cold down in the hold and the cold-soak would have a reducing effect on pressure as well.)

I think the worst thing that could actually occur is a pinch flat. I have been riding bikes for more than 40 years and the only time I have seen one

“pop” is where the outer casing was highly worn. We know aircraft tyres are very strong and filled with nitrogen, but the wheel wells are NOT pressurized. Do they often

explode? When Tour riders climb 4000 feet up the Col d’Aubisque, with tyres heating up from ride what happens? Has a guy never put a bike of his rack in San Francisco and driven to Lake Tahoe?

Lets just say the aircraft experienced an explosive decompression.The worst possible thing that could happen is a tyre would burst inside a sturdy cardboard box. Nobody would notice until you opened the box at your destination.

So all of this is silly rubbish based on old wives' tales and misunderstandings.

One also cannot take those CO2 cartridges for mini-pumps on planes because their is a blanket ban on "compressed gases” due to HAZMAT regulations.

Every self-inflating life jacket is equipped with an identical cartridge. Literally hundreds of them on a widebody. Silly innit?

So after that ripping yarn, you agree that the OP needs to make sure his bike tires are deflated before consignment since the airlines require it.

Thanks.

PS, Why do the airlines require it?

So after that ripping yarn, you agree that the OP needs to make sure his bike tires are deflated before consignment since the airlines require it.

Thanks.

They do so for no good reason, and because they can. United does not require deflation of tyres, From my experience ANA does. Same alliance, rules of operating carrier at time of check-in generally apply.

Similarly security agents may require a young mother to drink from her own breast milk bottles to prove she is not a terrorist

whilst other young men of military age are allowed to pass without hindrance as to avoid any offense.

"No compressed gases" is good rule with flammables like hairspray in checked baggage, but not for CO2 cartridges which are identical to those found under every seat in life jackets

As a guideline I guess we have to make some kind of limitations.

I was flying with 1 bike box from NRT-BKK on ANA once a few years ago and told me I had to pay ¥39000 ( in contradiction to their posted rules) extra fee plus remove air/oil from a brand new MTB suspension fork. I probably would have coughed up the dosh to avoid delaying my travel but I was not going to destroy my fork and had no tools to do so anyway so I politely told the girl I would not be traveling and would go home.

Then she checked with a supervisor and suddenly I did not have to pay and the fork was OK.

Edited by arunsakda

Back to the original question.

The OP wrote:

"Would like to bring it back to Thailand with me I still have the original box and it is like new only a few miles on it."

If it has a few miles on it, it's used. Get rid of the original box and pack it in another box.

My wife and I have brought a bike into Thailand (usually CNX) over 40 times between the two of us. We've never had a problem but we have been asked by Customs "New?" I don't like to lie but I've never had to. I've never brought a bike into Thailand that had never been ridden before. I can't say it will never happen, but based on my experience and the other anecdotal evidence here, it seems extremely unlikely that Customs will bother you. But I have heard of a rare case where someone was charged duty on an almost new bike. And there may have been more to that story.

Bring the bike!

I fly around the region with my mountain bike in a large dive equipment style duffel.

Pull the forks, zip tie forks and stem to frame and remove rear derailleur. Drop an old towel over the wheels and lay the frame on top. Foam pads top and bottom. Can take off the pedals as well,

So far so good.

Last year I bought a brand new mountain bike from the UK, still in it's box (never opened) with the branding all over it, through BKK and then onto Air Asia to CNX....no problem at all.

Had to pay 500 baht to Air Asia as over my weight limit.

On BA from London, no problem just checked in as usual.

And it has been sitting in my spare room ever since! Lol

My brother and several other friends had brought bicycles to Thailand for cycling trips.

They had no issues and had a great time. My brother was here for six months or so

and rode through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Lived to tell the tale.

As far as he is concerned Vietnam has the worst drivers. coffee1.gif

Thanks.

They do so for no good reason, and because they can. United does not require deflation of tyres, From my experience ANA does. Same alliance, rules of operating carrier at time of check-in generally apply.

Similarly security agents may require a young mother to drink from her own breast milk bottles to prove she is not a terrorist

whilst other young men of military age are allowed to pass without hindrance as to avoid any offense.

"No compressed gases" is good rule with flammables like hairspray in checked baggage, but not for CO2 cartridges which are identical to those found under every seat in life jackets

As a guideline I guess we have to make some kind of limitations.

I was flying with 1 bike box from NRT-BKK on ANA once a few years ago and told me I had to pay ¥39000 ( in contradiction to their posted rules) extra fee plus remove air/oil from a brand new MTB suspension fork. I probably would have coughed up the dosh to avoid delaying my travel but I was not going to destroy my fork and had no tools to do so anyway so I politely told the girl I would not be traveling and would go home.

Then she checked with a supervisor and suddenly I did not have to pay and the fork was OK.

I find politely telling them I won't fly their airlines always seems to work.

just wondered why anyone would buy a new bike when they knew they were coming to thailand.

I can think of a couple, if you're taller than the average Thai, you'll have a hard time getting a bike that fits correctly. If you can find a shop that can order the size in, it can take up to 6+ months. Also, depending on what the bike is, it can be significantly cheaper than buying locally. The only brands cheaper in Thailand are Giant and Trek, even then that isn't for all models either, for example top model Giant Defy Advanced SL will cost you around 300k THB locally, you can pick the same bike up in Australia for 155k THB.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Edited by moonoi

I would not bring the bike unless you have plans to relocate here for a long period.

But if you do plan to bring it here and you already have the original box then you know to take off the pedal and remove the handle bar from stem. As noted take the air out of the tired.

Most airlines allow two bags, the bike box can count as one of them. Take the measurements and call your Airline reservation and inform them of your intentions and give them the dimensions. Once you check in the bike will be taken to the oversize area for pickup. When you get to Bangkok, you will pick up the bike oversize again right after you go through Immigration. When I brought mines over it was right there when I came through. The biggest problem is finding a vehicle or taxi to fit it into. i got lucky and the guy stuck it in the trunk and roped it down with no extra charge.

I have taken bikes in and out of Thailand with no problems and if you enjoy cycling definitely do it. There is a bit of hassle getting the bike to and from the airport etc but its well worth it even for a 2 week holiday imo.

First thing before you do anything is identify which airlines are bike friendly and have no charge for bikes before you buy your ticket. You always have to advise the airline you are taking a bike at least a couple of days before you depart. The airlines website

will list how they want the bike to be packed etc

I have always taken my bikes in a normal cardboard box that they arrive from the factory in. Just go to your lbs and ask for one. A boxed 700c road bike can fit in a tuktuk. About 25cm will poke out from either side of the it. The tuktuk method is ok in Chiang Mai. Youtube vids can show you how to pack a bike in a box if you don't know how.

I love bikes. Yesterday I pedaled 30km.I have brought bicycles as checked baggage, new and used several times arriving BKK and CNX with no issues or questions from customs. You can bring your bike to any bicycle shop in Canada and they will pack it properly (for example the pedals must be removed. Check with your airline ahead of travel for any extra baggage fees or reservation requirements.

Happy Pedaling!

I brought my mountain bike as checked luggage about 2 years ago. Customs at BKK asked what was in the box and simple waved me on with a smile as soon as I told them it was my bicycle. As pointed out above, check with your airline in advance. Edited by djayz

• 2 months later...

I've got a lovely mtb here which stays in my room mostly because it's too darn hot everyday. Thai ladies like to hang their clothes on it ! My advice is don't bother !

Don't bother? What rotten advice. I have managed 600km a week so far this year (in spite of the heat) and it still leaves me plenty of time for other activities.

Saw some nice looking bikes at Tesco the other day for 3000 baht. My advice is just buy that.. will do the job right? Bike is a bike

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Oh dear McFish. A bike is a bike? Not at all. A tesco 300 baht piece of c""p may get you to the shops but that's the only job it'll do. I can introduce you to the joys of cycling on decent bikes, be they road, track or mtb.