Suriyasai: Thaksin's offer for talks with the government comes at the right timing

webfact

Thaksin clan a scourge to Thailand, taking advantage of uneducated masses to line their pockets. Horrible.

I guess Mr.T sent some dough to this guy to be a mouthpiece.

Now there is elitist Democrat philosophy...people are not smart enough to vote so overthrowing the government elected by the masses is for their own good: "We know what is best for you, you don't."

Why dont they arrest this guy , he is a criminal, The Junta are only good at kicking around the downtrodden vendors and beggars, of that they are very competent .

Just remember the downtrodden are here in Thailand, Thaksin OTOH is in Dubai or some other luxurious haven and untouchable (mostly by choice of Thai authorities) He's better off several thousand miles away as far as the P.M. is concerned.

I spilled my coffee when I read about Khun Suriyasai hinting that Thaksin is correctly timing his offer with the junta. Suriyasai, spokesman of the PAD and fervent supporter of the PDRC. Who would have guess that even the junta loyal yellow supporters would have turn their backs on the junta. These yellow shirts academics which include very notable arch Thaksin enemies like Komsan Pokong, Banjerd Singkaneti, Phichai Rattanadilok and Suriyasai recently try to hold a seminar to discuss the charter but was cancelled by the junta. Supporters of the coup is fraying fast. His suggestion of a national government may become a reality as the junta is trying hard and fast to find an exit before something nasty will force them out. Supporters of the junta here are a losing bunch.

I spilled my coffee when I read about Khun Suriyasai hinting that Thaksin is correctly timing his offer with the junta. Suriyasai, spokesman of the PAD and fervent supporter of the PDRC. Who would have guess that even the junta loyal yellow supporters would have turn their backs on the junta. These yellow shirts academics which include very notable arch Thaksin enemies like Komsan Pokong, Banjerd Singkaneti, Phichai Rattanadilok and Suriyasai recently try to hold a seminar to discuss the charter but was cancelled by the junta. Supporters of the coup is fraying fast. His suggestion of a national government may become a reality as the junta is trying hard and fast to find an exit before something nasty will force them out. Supporters of the junta here are a losing bunch.

Get out of bed on the wrong side this morning Eric?

Thaksin clan a scourge to Thailand, taking advantage of uneducated masses to line their pockets. Horrible.

Now there is elitist Democrat philosophy...people are not smart enough to vote so overthrowing the government elected by the masses is for their own good: "We know what is best for you, you don't."

Yawn.

Thaksin clan a scourge to Thailand, taking advantage of uneducated masses to line their pockets. And why are the masses uneducated????

Oh really???

So the uneducated masses were well taken care of before Thaksin came along eh?

Is this a joke?

Thaksin is a clever opportunist who realised that the Thai people had been ignored by ...ahem... the authorities and successive governments and all he had to do was pay them some attention and give them some opportunities, which he did.

His strategy was wildly successful giving him landslide victories.

He ignored the ancient power structures, without whom no previous politicians could succeed at surviving in power.

He began to rearrange the military, putting his picks into top positions.

He upset the establishment.

He had to go.

That is why they put the Democrats in control (their party) after the coup, but as soon as the next election was called it was obvious the populace was having none of it and voted in Yingluck.

Now they're making sure another populist government will EVER get elected.

This country is run by half a dozen families who I can't name for obvious reasons.

They could take a saint and convict him of anything in these courts.

The game is still in play and won't be over for a long time.

The genie is well and truly out of the bottle now.

Do you believe the military and their paymasters can keep a lid on 25 million under 21 year olds forever?

Of course not, with or without Thaksin, the people will eventually throw out the parasites that have ruled them since the days of elephant parades.

Your implying Thaksin was a saint.. that all the cases against him were made up ? Bribing judges.. forcing banks to loan out billions (and then taking the loss current case with his son also under investigation). Many other cases against him.. all made up ?

It seems to me the populace rose up against the amnesty so to imply that they all love him is crazy.

Ah Robblok, I'm glad you joined in because you parade yourself as an impartial observer, but I know better.

You are an apologist for the Junta and always have been since your first posts.

What I fail to see, is how you and your ilk can link the ex-PM's supposed crimes with support for a military Junta which has methodically eroded and denied the natural justice and freedoms of a democracy.

You will go to any length to support these military rulers despite the way they have gone about taking away the basic liberties of the average Thai, who has done nothing wrong.

They could easily restore democracy tomorrow if they were really sincere while genuinely strengthening anti-corruption measures in the institutions that already exist.

But no, all we see is more of the same while the establishment are back in power.

I have to suffer every Friday the self appointed PM talking about what a good job he's doing yet I see no evidence of it.

I don't remember having to endure every channel on TV taken over every Friday by Thaksin.

He didn't need to sell his message, it sold itself.

I don't recall anyone being arrested for criticising Thaksin or posting satire about him on facebook.

And ask anyone in the business community how these soldiers are doing with the economy.

They'll tell you quickly, things were much better with a businessman in charge.

So tell us Robblok, why is that?

Nobody is going to suggest the NCPO is an economics powerhouse, just like madams team were not really all that good, topped off by lies about economic data, lies about C2C rice deals and more. In the paymasters' time a number of economists commented that Thailand good picture was to some main extend from a good world economy. Don't forget the paymaster had a list of business failures before he got a telecoms monopoly handed to him on a plate.

But put it into another hypothesis, do you really want your family to grow up in a good economy (if it did really exist) but with a gang of unethical and frightening thieves running the government and emptying the bank book of all Thai people, installing scaffolding to make rice stacks look bigger, corruption growing by the day, and regularly trying highly immoral 3:00 am tricks to get the conviction of their 'leader' cancelled (and by the way it wasn't a politically motivated case, he broke a very serious law and he knew full well he was breaking a very serious law), plus get cancellation of some 15 more serious charges against him?

Now stand by for the 'but the junta....'

Edited by scorecard

When the masses are choosing to vote a particular way not because they understand the issues but because their PYB is giving them a purple note, I suppose my "elitist Democratic" philosophy says something stinks.

Edited by grumpyoldman

Why is this criminal still making the news? He should be banned. No photos of him or his utterances should be published in future. He should officially be declared persona non grata.

That's no way to be describing General Prayuth and the charge of criminality is completely out of order.Although the coup against a democratic government might have been perceived by some as a crime or even treason, the Junta pardoned itself - so please explain how that is a crime.If you are thinking that his fortune of several million dollars based on a maximum salary of $40,000 implies criminal corruption, you are also out of line.He has explained all this very carefully already.In any case many many generals have vast fortunes and tiny salaries.Are you seriously suggesting all are on the take?

How can there be no photos of him or public utterances when he is the country's PM.Now you are just being ridiculous.And to say he should be officially declared non grata compounds your silliness.

But seriously show a little more respect and take a gander at the special forum warning for posts of this nature

To take your comments one step further. The current prime minister of Australia is a multi millionaire, made off the back of the telecom / internet explosion, and further to that was the minister for communication in a previous post. On the other side of the fence labours Paul Keating was also a millionaire even though the only job he ever held was as an official of the union/labour movement. Kevin Rudd (same camp) his wife became a millionaire off the back of the employment agency scheme introduced by her husband's government. No one cried foul there, but when it's Thailand everyone thinks it smacks of corruption. Wake up people it's the same old,same old.Plus lets face it, his sister is one very good looking woman.

Edited by Taffyfromflint

Why is this criminal still making the news? He should be banned. No photos of him or his utterances should be published in future. He should officially be declared persona non grata.

That's no way to be describing General Prayuth and the charge of criminality is completely out of order.Although the coup against a democratic government might have been perceived by some as a crime or even treason, the Junta pardoned itself - so please explain how that is a crime.If you are thinking that his fortune of several million dollars based on a maximum salary of $40,000 implies criminal corruption, you are also out of line.He has explained all this very carefully already.In any case many many generals have vast fortunes and tiny salaries.Are you seriously suggesting all are on the take?

How can there be no photos of him or public utterances when he is the country's PM.Now you are just being ridiculous.And to say he should be officially declared non grata compounds your silliness.

But seriously show a little more respect and take a gander at the special forum warning for posts of this nature

To take your comments one step further. The current prime minister of Australia is a multi millionaire, made off the back of the telecom / internet explosion, and further to that was the minister for communication in a previous post. On the other side of the fence labours Paul Keating was also a millionaire even though the only job he ever held was as an official of the union/labour movement. Kevin Rudd (same camp) his wife became a millionaire off the back of the employment agency scheme introduced by her husband's government. No one cried foul there, but when it's Thailand everyone thinks it smacks of corruption. Wake up people it's the same old,same old.Plus lets face it, his sister is one very good looking woman.

So what?

somebody in power thought that Thaksin was already politically finished

And that's the mistake - so long as democracy with all its liberal human rights and liberties continues to be smothered and abused by the junta, ANYONE can gain political stature who champions the democractic ideology. One does not have to be a party leader, billionaire or former government official to challenge the current and proposed system. It is also the students, academics, middle class, uneducated, poor, etc. who present the junta with as great a confrontation to the junta's political agenda as does Thaksin. And probably with more sincerity and honesty than Thaksin.

Somebody in power fears Thaksin's political clout but it will be the clout of the 48 million Thai electorate who ultimately will decide the future of the nation. So eyes on Thaksin as 48 million Thais sneak into the junta's backdoor.

Edited by Srikcir

somebody in power thought that Thaksin was already politically finished

And that's the mistake - so long as democracy with all its liberal human rights and liberties continues to be smothered and abused by the junta, ANYONE can gain political stature who champions the democractic ideology. One does not have to be a party leader, billionaire or former government official to challenge the current and proposed system. It is also the students, academics, middle class, uneducated, poor, etc. who present the junta with as great a confrontation to the junta's political agenda as does Thaksin. And probably with more sincerity and honesty than Thaksin.

Somebody in power fears Thaksin's political clout but it will be the clout of the 48 million Thai electorate who ultimately will decide the future of the nation. So eyes on Thaksin as 48 million Thais sneak into the junta's backdoor.

What a load of gobbldegook. The new constitution will bring in some checks and balances needed to "smother the abuse" of power.

That's what Mr. T and his clan did, they abused the system by creating guaranteed reelections (i.e. paying the masses through others).

Edited by grumpyoldman

My guess is that neil was talking about taksin and not Prajut, or are you pulling our legs?

My guess is that neil was talking about taksin and not Prajut, or are you pulling our legs?

Oh really.Sorry about that.I must have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

What you Junta apologists continually will not address is what about the 50 or so years before Thaksin?

All establishment governments.

All elitist, Bangkok based parties, with a continual merry go round of military coups and more of the same.

What about that?

Oh no!!!!

Corruption began with Thaksin.

The only reason Thaksin is pursued with such vengeance is that he represented a REAL threat to the establishment.

All the other corrupt leaders and soldiers are all laughing in retirement, because they were all from the same group.

Thaksin was an outsider.

How many times must I say it?

And Robblok, I must be getting under your skin eh?

You are now starting to make personal remarks about me, ha ha.

Uneducated? Which university did you graduate from and with what degree?

Come on Mr Educated.

What you Junta apologists continually will not address is what about the 50 or so years before Thaksin?

All elitist, Bangkok based parties, with a continual merry go round of military coups and more of the same.

What about that?

Oh no!!!!

The only reason Thaksin is pursued with such vengeance is that he represented a REAL threat to the establishment.

All the other corrupt leaders and soldiers are all laughing in retirement, because they were all from the same group.

Thaksin was an outsider.

Come on Mr Educated.

Your not getting under my skin at all, your demonstrating that you can't debate and provide with simple answers. Anyone who thinks that an economy is not influenced by the world economy and rides the waves of the world economy is uneducated. So your remarks attributing the good economy in Thaksins time to Thaksin alone.. just show me enough. That was not personal at all that was a fact. In reality, countries like Thailand are dependent on the worlds economy and the leaders at good and bad times can do little to change that.

Your constantly going off topic with your remarks not staying with the topic at hand deflecting and such. You just have no arguments.

Now you asked about my educations, I could write down here that I went to MIT or Harvard or whatever how could you know I am telling the truth. You can't therefor it has no use to write it down here. I let my posts speak for themselves and yours speak for you.

What about that?

Oh no!!!!

Thaksin was an outsider.

Come on Mr Educated.

Your not getting under my skin at all, your demonstrating that you can't debate and provide with simple answers. Anyone who thinks that an economy is not influenced by the world economy and rides the waves of the world economy is uneducated. So your remarks attributing the good economy in Thaksins time to Thaksin alone.. just show me enough. That was not personal at all that was a fact. In reality, countries like Thailand are dependent on the worlds economy and the leaders at good and bad times can do little to change that.

Your constantly going off topic with your remarks not staying with the topic at hand deflecting and such. You just have no arguments.

Now you asked about my educations, I could write down here that I went to MIT or Harvard or whatever how could you know I am telling the truth. You can't therefor it has no use to write it down here. I let my posts speak for themselves and yours speak for you.

I think from your efforts today, it's pretty clear who is struggling in this debate.

Oh by the way, where did I imply Thaksin was a saint?

If you read my post without getting too emotional you'll see i said the current regime could convict a saint.

Implying that the current "justice " system is a farce and they could convict anyone of any crime if they wished, implying the system is rigged in their favour.

What about that?

Oh no!!!!

Thaksin was an outsider.

Come on Mr Educated.

Certainly the stellar achievements during Thaksin tenure not due to him alone and you can credited that also to his cabinet ministers. Since he lead and steer, he rightfully credited with the success. Just compare current clueless leader and his impotent cabinet ministers. Not a bright team that even has to borrow some of Thasin's policies and minister. World economic does affect all but a good leader should have the abilities to implement good policies to rise above the turbulence. Vietnam, Mynmar and Indonesia are good examples of leadership having the right policies to attract massive FDI. The failures of this junta government is so obvious and glaring. I am surprise that with your high education, you cant see or refuse to even consider.

Thaksin clan a scourge to Thailand, taking advantage of uneducated masses to line their pockets. And why are the masses uneducated????

Why not ask Thaksin? After all his parties were in power for over 10 years this century.

What did he and his governments do to improve education in Thailand?

I have some books I'd like you to burn. And also a few heretics need sorting out at the stake.

You do understand that your attitude is part of Thailand's problem, don't you? Then, I guess not.

I guess that yours must be too.

Not that it makes ANY difference whose opinions make on TVF in Thailand.

Not uless you are Thai any way.

What about that?

Oh no!!!!

Thaksin was an outsider.

Come on Mr Educated.

Certainly the stellar achievements during Thaksin tenure not due to him alone and you can credited that also to his cabinet ministers. Since he lead and steer, he rightfully credited with the success. Just compare current clueless leader and his impotent cabinet ministers. Not a bright team that even has to borrow some of Thasin's policies and minister. World economic does affect all but a good leader should have the abilities to implement good policies to rise above the turbulence. Vietnam, Mynmar and Indonesia are good examples of leadership having the right policies to attract massive FDI. The failures of this junta government is so obvious and glaring. I am surprise that with your high education, you cant see or refuse to even consider.

Not refusing to see anything..the junta is doing badly for sure, but not all of that is because of their incompetence (partly it is) but a big part is the world economy. To prove that Thaksin was go good you need to compare the Thai economic progress with that of the rest of asia at the time. You are indeed using facts showing that the junta is under performing by comparing it to other Asian countries at this time. Bobmac on the other hand does no such thing and just attributies the difference to Thaksin.

If you really want to compare you can't compare an economy in an up-going world economy with that of a down going. The only fair comparison would be to see if the economy was outperforming others at that time. I have yet to see that kind of proof so when making a comparison make a fair comparison.

I am not suggesting the Junta is doing a good job economically (i agree they not doing a good job but not all is in their control) just contesting the fact that the good economy back then was Thaksins doing

Thaksin is a tired, old man. Maybe also full of anger and dying to get revenge. He does not realize that he is a fading force in Thai politics. Pheu Thai might be wise to dump him because people are tired of corrupt politicians, and Pheu Thai is associated with Grand Corruption. The government isn't going to give him the time of day.

Unfortunately, ( for the government) it seams that a significant proportion of the population remain somewhat keen on Thaksin and his party, and don't want to give the government the time of day.

Of course we don't know how great that significant proportion of the population is - those in power are determined not to allow them to demonstrate their support. They won't allow calendars or jam let alone an

election.

:):)

By the way, can someone remind me, what is this week's excuse for delaying an election?

What about that?

Oh no!!!!

Thaksin was an outsider.

Come on Mr Educated.

Not refusing to see anything..the junta is doing badly for sure, but not all of that is because of their incompetence (partly it is) but a big part is the world economy. To prove that Thaksin was go good you need to compare the Thai economic progress with that of the rest of asia at the time. You are indeed using facts showing that the junta is under performing by comparing it to other Asian countries at this time. Bobmac on the other hand does no such thing and just attributies the difference to Thaksin.

If you really want to compare you can't compare an economy in an up-going world economy with that of a down going. The only fair comparison would be to see if the economy was outperforming others at that time. I have yet to see that kind of proof so when making a comparison make a fair comparison.

I am not suggesting the Junta is doing a good job economically (i agree they not doing a good job but not all is in their control) just contesting the fact that the good economy back then was Thaksins doing

You seem to suggest that Thailand will perform because of an up-going world economy during Thaksin tenure. The country just came out of the worst financial crisis that hit whole of Asia in 98-99 and Thailand will perform in natural progression. You don't think that the government need to reform the financial sector, corporate re-structuring, enhanced legal commercial laws, market deregulation, liberalize trade, improve environment to attract FDI, extend social safety net and human capital investment.

You don't fold your arms and do nothing and hope the better world economy will carry you through. Or comparing current situation, blame the world economy for the bad state of your country. Government need to get their policies and reforms right to achieve the results. Not happening now.

The facts are well documented that Thaksin increased the foreign currency reserves ( we had none during the financial crisis), paid off the IMF loan in advance, attracted massive FDI, reduce poverty etc. Like him or not, that period Thailand was refered to as a tiger economy like the other 4 tiger economies at that time.

The junta is already listening too him by having in the cabinet and employing some of his rural policies.

If Prayuth had carried out his promise to rid this country of corruption, if he'd made just one small step on his silly 'road map', Taksin, today, would be a non issue/entity. Som nom bloody na!

That would probably mean going after his own military generals, the police, politicians of both divide and pro junta officials. That step will never ever happen.

You seem to suggest that Thailand will perform because of an up-going world economy during Thaksin tenure. The country just came out of the worst financial crisis that hit whole of Asia in 98-99 and Thailand will perform in natural progression. You don't think that the government need to reform the financial sector, corporate re-structuring, enhanced legal commercial laws, market deregulation, liberalize trade, improve environment to attract FDI, extend social safety net and human capital investment.

You don't fold your arms and do nothing and hope the better world economy will carry you through. Or comparing current situation, blame the world economy for the bad state of your country. Government need to get their policies and reforms right to achieve the results. Not happening now.

The facts are well documented that Thaksin increased the foreign currency reserves ( we had none during the financial crisis), paid off the IMF loan in advance, attracted massive FDI, reduce poverty etc. Like him or not, that period Thailand was refered to as a tiger economy like the other 4 tiger economies at that time.

The junta is already listening too him by having in the cabinet and employing some of his rural policies.

The issue Eric, is Thaksin chose to break laws and when caught bribe, intimidate and threaten his way out. And he behaved in this way repeatedly.

Now whilst many before and after, and many in other countries also get away with lying, cheating, bending the law, changing laws in their own interests, bribing to get their own way, intimidation and worse, that does not excuse Thaksin any more than it does them.

And this thread is about Thakisn, the criminal fugitive, once again trying to negotiate away out of his conviction, current pending and future possible court cases.

He isn't and never will be a democrat, socialist, or honest politician. His ego and ambition are far to great for any of that to matter.

Another reminder:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.
Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

Anything to divert discussions away from talking about Thaksin's corrupt criminal past.

The desperation of the Shin lovers.

Worrying that seemingly intelligent Westerners still think the Shins are worth defending. Their hatred for the establishment, elites, amart and those who oppose their dear leader simply blinds them from reality.

You seem like a fun guy.

Sure. I've met Thaksin although not in Thailand, friends for over 20 years with a former PTP cabinet minister.

Laugh a minute.

"As the saying goes every dog has its day". The draft is a mess. Most people kn ow it is. Both the Democrats and Phue Thai are in agreement with each other in objecting the change in election rules. Those making up these new rules are trying hard to sell it to the people by telling them not to oppose the draft Con. The people are not that uneducated or stupid to accept their democratic rights being taken away from them. Thaksin can see through this mess they have made and is willing to take advantage of it. The military don't want him back. If they did they would have waited for him to return in 2006 to arrest him and stage a military coup simultaneously. Make no mistake the military still fears Thaksin. In 1932 the miltary did not fear the crown, but they fear Thaksin. At the end of the present Kings reign are the military sowing the seeds of a revolution, with their draft constitution. For which Thaksin could quite easily control a revolt from exile to return in triumph when its over. History is full of revolts and their consequences.

Those that say Thaksin was acting corruptly. Should remember Thailand was bailed out by the world banks on condition that it opened up to trade and foreign investment. Thaksin tried to do this by setting an example in selling his own company. The protesters of 2006 have succeeded restoring Thai protectionism, for which many small business entrepreneurs are unable to do business with the excessive red tape and home owners will never own their home freehold, apart from a condo. The UK is an example of what a free market creates. Jobs, investment and stable growth. It should be remembered Thaksin once owned Manchester City football club 100%. A foreigner cannot do this in Thailand with any business. Is Thaksin really corrupt or is it the rest of Thailand?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.