3BB ADSL speeds outrageously slow at the moment?

SooKee

Not sure if anyone else is having issues with 3BB ADSL last couple of days but I pay for the 15MB connection and am currently getting 5.7 download speed and 545 kbps upload. Even by LOS standards that is absolutely abysmal!! Will be calling them later if things don't improve. 'Up to' is vastly different to 'Nowhere near'.

Are those speeds to connect to websites in the US? I've still got the 3bb premier program for 1167 baht a month with only 3MB download and keep thinking maybe I should switch plans but the premier plan has been reliable. Probably should find out if I can change plans and switch back if I don't like it. Anyone done that before?

anyone getting frequent connection drops and slow speeds should check their modem/router

I laready had 2 Dlink routers die, I guess due to overheating.

I will never buy dlink again, I replaced it with a small ASUS ADSL router, the N55U. No more drops. Let's see how long the ASUS will hold.

I'm not actually testing it with various sites. Just noticed that numerous sites were slow to connect and load so used the testmy.net cn site (as opposed to Ookla which has a bad reputation for using cached results). That's showing 4.7. Have got it up too 6.6 now by changing DNS servers to Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.8.4). Nowhere near 15 though. Without specifics it's hard to know what O.K. means.

Edited by SooKee

I've been getting horrendous download speeds for the last 4 days (and personally, I do think that 5.7 MBits/s is outrageous when you're paying for 15). I use an FTP client that splits each downloaded file into 4 sections, to make full use of the connection's bandwidth. This normally maxes out at 15.9 MBits/s but as I write, I am getting just 1.8-2.0MBits/s. Had the engineers here who did their usual speedtest.net tests and told me it's fine. I said sure it's fine, if all I want to do with my internet connection is ping a server in Bangkok but I actually want to do things with it like download files, stream films etcetera. They seemed a bit nonplussed by this and 'passed the problem' through to Bangkok...Since then, nothing's been done so I'm jumping ship and taking advantage of TOT's fiber2u promotion.

Edited by eaglesflight

anyone getting frequent connection drops and slow speeds should check their modem/router

I laready had 2 Dlink routers die, I guess due to overheating.

I will never buy dlink again, I replaced it with a small ASUS ADSL router, the N55U. No more drops. Let's see how long the ASUS will hold.

Yeah I've had no luck with any D-Link stuff at all. Gateways or simple modems. Don't use their stuff at all now.

The 3BB router was the supplied Huawei which was also a bit so so Wi-Fi wise so I switched that out for the TP-Link TD W8961D that I used with TOT before. That's ok to be honest (and for me at least does a good enough job to not warrant changing to an Apple AEBS which I was quite underwhelmed with, given the cost, when I bought one in Malaysia). I'm pretty sure it's just the connection speeds that have nose dived.

Edited by SooKee

I've been getting horrendous download speeds for the last 4 days (and personally, I do think that 5.7 MBits/s is outrageous when you're paying for 15). I use an FTP client that splits each downloaded file into 4 sections, to make full use of the connection's bandwidth. This normally maxes out at 15.9 MBits/s but as I write, I am getting just 1.8-2.0MBits/s. Had the engineers here who did their usual speedtest.net tests and told me it's fine. I said sure it's fine, if all I want to do with my internet connection is ping a server in Bangkok but I actually want to do things with it like download files, stream films etcetera. They seemed a bit nonplussed by this and 'passed the problem' through to Bangkok...Since then, nothing's been done so I'm jumping ship and taking advantage of TOT's fiber2u promotion.

After consistently getting ping 553, download 0.51mbps, upload 0.03 on TOT fibre optic 20/10, I just went the other way to 3bb. Back to ADSL, but the connection is far more stable. The genius TOT engineer said 'you pay more you want website outside Thailand'. Think carefully before jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Edited by CNXSTEVE

I'm not actually testing it with various sites. Just noticed that numerous sites were slow to connect and load so used the testmy.net cn site (as opposed to Ookla which has a bad reputation for using cached results). That's showing 4.7. Have got it up too 6.6 now by changing DNS servers to Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.8.4). Nowhere near 15 though. Without specifics it's hard to know what O.K. means.

When my 10mb dropped to below 1mb I phoned them up and told 3BB that I would only be paying 10% of the bill and within 12 hours they had sent someone to repair some loose connections. Yesterday it dropped to about 3MB and I unplugged the router for a few minutes, plugged it back in again and it was ok after that.

After consistently getting ping 553, download 0.51mbps, upload 0.03 on TOT fibre optic 20/10, I just went the other way to 3bb. Back to ADSL, but the connection is far more stable. The genius TOT engineer said 'you pay more you want website outside Thailand'. Think carefully before jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Great! I used to like TOT when I was in Mae Rim because they seemed to be the only ISP that didn't throttle connections at certain times of the day but those figures don't sound particularly inspiring. I'm getting an average of 600kbps at the moment though, so I need to do something. I tried True before and they used to have problems all the time as well sad.png

Edited by eaglesflight

Great! I used to like TOT when I was in Mae Rim because they seemed to be the only ISP that didn't throttle connections at certain times of the day but those figures don't sound particularly inspiring. I'm getting an average of 600kbps at the moment though, so I need to do something. I tried True before and they used to have problems all the time as well sad.png

They are all the same, but giving their call centres a hard time often produces results, especially when you mention you only want to pay 1% of the bill if they can only guarantee access to Thai websites. What does www stand for, Just got a decent connection back on TOT after 16 days. This was after engineers had been several times, scratched their head and said pings had no relevance to good connectivity.

They are all the same, but giving their call centres a hard time often produces results, especially when you mention you only want to pay 1% of the bill if they can only guarantee access to Thai websites. What does www stand for, Just got a decent connection back on TOT after 16 days. This was after engineers had been several times, scratched their head and said pings had no relevance to good connectivity.

I've given them a hard time so often I think they've become immune to my complaints. There only seems to be one call centre person who speaks English at 3BB, as I always get through to an overly-sensitive camp-sounding man when I call 1530. The last few times I've called, he puts me straight through to another person when he discovers I'm in Chiang Mai, and that other person invariably speaks no English at all. Although I can speak Thai fairly well I find it hard to explain myself when discussing my internet issues so this is quite annoying, especially as I always press 9 for English.

I rent a server in the Netherlands and European speeds always seem a lot worse than US speeds when things do go wrong. Maybe I should rent a server in the US instead....

Edited by eaglesflight

I have a really low speed ADSL from 3bb and over the last week or so it got really slow.

I connected to our neighbours wifi (with their permission) and it was slow as hell too.

So i buggered off and did something else.

You see, I figured that if everyone was doing speed tests so they could document the slowness

just testing would increase the load and slow things down more!

If this minor irritation is all we have to worry about Hallelujah!

In december, I paid a visit to TMN headquarters where they let me try their fiber connection direct at HQ.

Testing a European server I got 110 Mbit download but only 0.9 Mbit upload - their tech didn't seem to mind ???

Needless to say, I didn't take their offer.

For any fiber connection, you need to ask specifically for international bandwidth and also test it.

Are those speeds to connect to websites in the US? I've still got the 3bb premier program for 1167 baht a month with only 3MB download and keep thinking maybe I should switch plans but the premier plan has been reliable. Probably should find out if I can change plans and switch back if I don't like it. Anyone done that before?

Hi

I am on the same Premier plan, which does not exist any more. You can switch to other plan ... but you can't come back ... so for the moment, quite satisfied, not too much swinging (low and high bandwidth) ... I do not change. Good luck if you try.

I thought they purchased a certain amount of bandwidth through international gateways like Jasmine's? If they do then surely not purchasing enough would cause slow international speeds and would be something that was within their control? If they have no control over international bandwidth / speed, how can they offer premium packages with better overseas speeds?

Sure, it's not life threatening, but you could excuse a wide variety of companies providing poor quality service with that kind of argument.

Absolutely. If being life threatening was a criteria before being able to be concerned, why would anyone need to bother about their:

Flight getting cancelled

Water getting cut off

Power being cut

Car not being serviced correctly

Post not being delivered

Food at supermarkets being 'off'

Refuse not being collected

Stupid argument IMO. The point is, being charged for something that isn't being delivered.

I just tried to connect to the same ftp server on my phone and although the speed is slower than it should be, indicating some sort of problem along the route, it is 15 times faster on the True 3G network than it is on my 3BB ADSL connection.

Edited by eaglesflight