ACS Insurance - better than BUPA? experiences?

LannaGuy

I just looked in to Acs and it appears to be just a website and no offices. Before paying anything I would ask your preferred Hospital if they accept them or not.

Hi, they deal mainly with Bangkok Hospital I believe and Allianz covers all major hospitals in Asia and beyond

I just looked in to Acs and it appears to be just a website and no offices. Before paying anything I would ask your preferred Hospital if they accept them or not.

Hi, they deal mainly with Bangkok Hospital I believe and Allianz covers all major hospitals in Asia and beyond

Which scheme are you looking at as ACS have a number of different options. From my notes, but I still had queries, ACS Asia Lifetime you take up by 60 to keep for life but normal ACS Asia has a couple of options one of which expires at 65 and the other 75? (1st USD health Scheme?). Contract is renewed 1st Jan each year.

They have an association with Allianz who from memory underwrite them and one concern I had was what if that ended - you need to look at the small print.

do they have local office?

Which scheme are you looking at as ACS have a number of different options. From my notes, but I still had queries, ACS Asia Lifetime you take up by 60 to keep for life but normal ACS Asia has a couple of options one of which expires at 65 and the other 75? (1st USD health Scheme?). Contract is renewed 1st Jan each year.

They have an association with Allianz who from memory underwrite them and one concern I had was what if that ended - you need to look at the small print.

yes I think a safer option might be BUPA unless you suggest another? as I look into it I'm becoming less sure of ACS although their benefits far exceed BUPA's

yes I think a safer option might be BUPA unless you suggest another? as I look into it I'm becoming less sure of ACS although their benefits far exceed BUPA's

I need to relook at them all again. One other I forgot to mention was Healthcare International. It had quite a large deductible and the opportunity to co pay.

www.healthcareinternational.com

From a cost benefit perspective I was looking at ACS, Pacific X and HCI above but all had something I was not 100% with. Bupa Platinum limits just seemed a little low if you had something really serious plus the issues Sheryl raised either earlier or in another topic about Thai based insurance companies.

I need to relook at them all again. One other I forgot to mention was Healthcare International. It had quite a large deductible and the opportunity to co pay.

From a cost benefit perspective I was looking at ACS, Pacific X and HCI above but all had something I was not 100% with. Bupa Platinum limits just seemed a little low if you had something really serious plus the issues Sheryl raised either earlier or in another topic about Thai based insurance companies.

i do like the 'hand the card over and almost forget it' kinda deal and, as it transpires, most have not heard of ACS and that is important to me if I have to go to hospital and i get the "what's this'? when i whip my card out

Has anyone actually had experience having to use BUPA and/or ACS? All I hear are horror stories about insurance companies not paying...

Anyone can recommend one that's known for not being some huge hassle with them bullshitting you and doing whatever they can to not cover you?

i do like the 'hand the card over and almost forget it' kinda deal and, as it transpires, most have not heard of ACS and that is important to me if I have to go to hospital and i get the "what's this'? when i whip my card out

LannaGuy have a look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/900581-health-insurance-advice/#entry10531175 my post no16. MSH looks like it could be the best value based on a quote I just had.

I have had no issues with bupa, on 3 occasions they settled directly with the hospital.

BUPA international, or BUPA Thai? And do you mind me asking the round about $$$ they covered?

Bupa Thai.

Sorry, don't remember the numbers, one time 5 nights Bangkok Phuket hospital with dengue, 2x Bangkok Phuket for 3-4 nights or so.

Has anyone actually had experience having to use BUPA and/or ACS? All I hear are horror stories about insurance companies not paying...

Anyone can recommend one that's known for not being some huge hassle with them bullshitting you and doing whatever they can to not cover you?

I have ACS as insurance.. I crushed my big toe in a weightlifting accident (cheesy.gif funny now but painful at the time) They paid for it all without any problems.

• 6 months later...
On 3/17/2016 at 9:43 AM, robblok said:

I have ACS as insurance.. I crushed my big toe in a weightlifting accident (cheesy.gif funny now but painful at the time) They paid for it all without any problems.

Sorry, i'm with ACS too, never had a chance to use it, but wondering how did you make them pay for such small accident? Was it overnight hospital stay? 

27 minutes ago, andreww said:

Sorry, i'm with ACS too, never had a chance to use it, but wondering how did you make them pay for such small accident? Was it overnight hospital stay? 

They wanted to keep me a whole day .. but I was operated and had to come back every 6 hours for antibiotic shots. All in all a bill of around 14k. Just send them the invoices and got paid. Have not had to use them anymore. 

BUPA International has a higher ceiling than BUPA Thailand's 5 MB which IMO is pretty limited should something very serious occur. 

Direct settlement makes life much easier with the hospital dealing directly with BUPA, although this does lead to a few hours delay come 'check-out' from inpatient treatment. 

My Wife, Son and I were with BUPA International - the only complaint I have is that their premiums increased at approximately 12% each year, a rate far exceeding inflation.

I have since insured my Wife on MHS and son with AXA who's coverage matches BUPA and also includes outpatient treatment. The premiums are less (about THB 40,000 per year each with no deductible)