Bangkok Metropolitan Police launch security training for volunteers

webfact

Metropolitan police launch security training for volunteers

BANGKOK, 14 March 2016 (NNT) – The Metropolitan Police Bureau has launched a training program for security volunteers.

Pol. Lt. Gen. Sanit Mahathavorn, acting chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau presided over the opening ceremony of the training program. Trainees included residents around Metropolitan Police Division 5 who volunteered to assist police in crime prevention.

Pol. Lt. Gen. Sanit explained the activity aims to improve security in Bangkok through the help of civilians.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau’s acting chief said the existing 20,000 police officers are not enough to ensure safety throughout the capital city in which the number of registered and unregistered residents may have exceeded 10 million.

The participants will be trained to help keep watch for irregularities in their neighborhoods and alert police to the problem. The project is expected to forge ties and cooperation between authorities and the public.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-14 footer_n.gif

Hmm, Bangkok population is 10 million, police force is 20,000. London is 8.5 million, the Met is 32,000, the man has a point.

The Met has 32,000 working to stop crime and enforce the law. I would doubt if Bangkok has even 1,000 doing the same.

Hmm, Bangkok population is 10 million, police force is 20,000. London is 8.5 million, the Met is 32,000, the man has a point.

The Met has 32,000 working to stop crime and enforce the law. I would doubt if Bangkok has even 1,000 doing the same.

And I doubt you know but hey, if you want to bash Thailand, go for it!

And I doubt you know but hey, if you want to bash Thailand, go for it!

The BIB aren't thailand

And what portion of those actually spend their workdays actively investigating crimes, and/or patrolling an assigned community beat? As opposed to sitting around checking their mobile phones or performing various extracurricular duties?

Just adding more numbers to a clearly broken, non-functional system isn't going to solve the problem of inadequate community law enforcement.

And what portion of those actually spend their workdays actively investigating crimes, and/or patrolling an assigned community beat? As opposed to sitting around checking their mobile phones or performing various extracurricular duties?

Just adding more numbers to a clearly broken, non-functional system isn't going to solve the problem of inadequate community law enforcement.

I have no idea and neither do you, it certainly isn't all of them and it's not none either and it's also not just 1,000! The fact is that proportionately and by comparison to cities of a similar size, they are understaffed hence it's a good move.

I don't know how much vetting of recruits for the regular force there is so what standard will be set for volunteers ?

There are many reasons for people wanting to be a volunteer and I'm not sure community service is necessarily high on the list.

I live in and drive around Bangkok....from my personal observation of "when" I see a policeman, approx 9 out of 10 times it's at a traffic police checkpoint...the other 10% is a policeman on a patrol beat. So, so many policemen checking and ticketing vehicles in comparison to what I see patrolling.

I have no idea and neither do you, it certainly isn't all of them and it's not none either and it's also not just 1,000! The fact is that proportionately and by comparison to cities of a similar size, they are understaffed hence it's a good move.

I know enough to know over a decade here, I basically never see any police coming around my neighborhood in Bangkok except when they come collecting from local businesses and/or someone has died.

I also know in that same time, I never see any BKK police doing any walking or bicycle or even car patrols in very concentrated, heavily populated areas around where I live -- the kinds of things that are collectively referred to as community policing.

Lastly, as anyone in law enforcement would tell you, the ratio of officers to population is not particularly meaningful by itself. What has to be taken into account as well is the land area covered by a police department's jurisdiction.

Just adding more officers who do the same as the existing ones is only going to benefit one group, and that isn't the general public.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

"The participants will be trained to help keep watch for irregularities in their neighborhoods and alert police to the problem. The project is expected to forge ties and cooperation between authorities and the public."

Irregularity: Farang in the neighborhood?

Edited by lkv

I know enough to know over a decade here, I basically never see any police coming around my neighborhood in Bangkok except when they come collecting from local businesses and/or someone has died.

I also know in that same time, I never see any BKK police doing any walking or bicycle or even car patrols in very concentrated, heavily populated areas around where I live -- the kinds of things that are collectively referred to as community policing.

Lastly, as anyone in law enforcement would tell you, the ratio of officers to population is not particularly meaningful by itself. What has to be taken into account as well is the land area covered by a police department's jurisdiction.

Just adding more officers who do the same as the existing ones is only going to benefit one group, and that isn't the general public.

Beat patrols and continuity policing is die ing out in many countries, even the UK far too expensive.